Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

98 SE SP 3.32

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
2359 replies to this topic

blackwire

blackwire

• 47 posts
The Copy2GB patch is not necessary. The 634 version of the shell32.dll patch already fixes the copy 2gb bug. I tried the copy2gb patch a while ago. It caused unusual behavior on my computer. It also changed the buttons, which I didn't like. About the Enable48bitLBA, the readme says that if used on smaller drives, it might cause data corruption. If these patches must be included, maybe an option not to install them should be avaliable.

Edited by blackwire, 13 August 2007 - 01:58 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Gape

Gape

Author - Unofficial Win98 SE SP

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

The Copy2GB patch is not necessary. The 634 version of the shell32.dll patch already fixes the copy 2gb bug. I tried the copy2gb patch a while ago. It caused unusual behavior on my computer. It also changed the buttons, which I didn't like. About the Enable48bitLBA, the readme says that if used on smaller drives, it might cause data corruption. If these patches must be included, maybe an option not to install them should be avaliable.

Thank for the info. :thumbup

blackwire

blackwire

• 47 posts
This thread talks about the copy2gb fix vs the shell32.dll fix.

http://www.msfn.org/...showtopic=84451

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
I'm very glad to see you ,Gape, and hear that you're going to continue your excellent work. :thumbup
Like Tihy I prefer good, old SP. :)

Edited by rainyd, 13 August 2007 - 12:29 PM.

sleffing

sleffing

• 24 posts
Q305575 is only partly correct.

From the article:
REGEDIT4;; this is incorrect from article at: [url="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305575"]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305575[/url];[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Time Zones\Central European];"Display"="(GMT+01:00) Sarajevo, Skopje, Vilnius, Warsaw, Zagreb";[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Time Zones\FLE];"Display"="(GMT+02:00) Helsinki, Riga, Sofia, Tallinn"; this is correct & current[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Time Zones\Central European]"Display"="(GMT+01:00) Sarajevo, Skopje, Warsaw, Zagreb"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Time Zones\FLE]"Display"="(GMT+02:00) Helsinki, Kyiv, Riga, Sofia, Tallinn, Vilnius"

Vilnius is in GMT+02:00 time zone !

Compare the times for those cities at this page:
http://www.timeandda...ontinent=europe

Look at:
"Central European Standard Time" & "FLE Standard Time"
listed here:
http://msdn2.microso...y/ms912053.aspx

-------------
Many time zones are effected by changes in DST rules this year.

If you are interested in adding Time Zone updates for all
a good resource is found here:
http://www.grystmill...s/tz_update.htm
The last update was in April when New Zealand changed over.
His file is in .reg format and not properly ordered I think.
I have converted it to .inf format and reordered correctly.
I will post it if you think it would be helpful.
-------------

Gape

Gape

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
@sleffing, Thanks for the info. MDGx has already a update for timezones, dated March 2007. Q931836.EXE.

But I think it doesn't contain New Zealand update probably. Could you post/email your INF ? It will be great and helpful.

sleffing

sleffing

• 24 posts

@sleffing, Thanks for the info. MDGx has already a update for timezones, dated March 2007. Q931836.EXE.

But I think it doesn't contain New Zealand update probably. Could you post/email your INF ? It will be great and helpful.

Here it is.

Updated August, 2007:
http://support.micro....com/kb/933360/

It is in the order displayed
in timedate.cpl best.

Attachment deleted.
I think you have it. Good luck.

Edited by sleffing, 17 August 2007 - 05:24 PM.

Molecule

Molecule

• PipPip
  • 185 posts
awesome to see you're back! one might even say that sp21a (after thinking about it, and on how much I use my computer) has become ... (choke choke (harhar) ) an important part of my life!!

I'm on dialup, so I use a Kingston thumbdrive to transport large files that can be easily uploaded/downloaded at my public library -- now I'm totally addicted to USB drives.

MaximDecim's USB driver didn'twork on my sp21a machine, nor did Kingston's drivers (also very large)

But ... an Italian programmer fixed my problem with a 10k zip, by posting a small no-frills generic USB thumbdrive driver that is only 10k with no registry alterations. It's only 10k in size -- please consider adding it.

Here are some links:

driver homepage (in Italian) -- http://www.wintricks...q/usbpen98.html
download page -- http://www.wintricks...ad/wtgenusb.zip
jaclaz posted a translation of the webpage here -- http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=2411
pat98usb did some more hacking described here -- http://www.msfn.org/...o...st&p=664191

don't know if Jesus is in his office or not, but it's good to see you back ... please include the thumbdrive if you can.

regards... theMolecule

Philco

Philco

• PipPip
  • 273 posts
Hello Gape, look Enable48BitLBA | Break the 137Gb barrier! by LLXX - on new nSP 3.0 only "official" updates?

Edited by Philco, 16 August 2007 - 01:01 PM.

Posted Image
czech localization NUSB, BigHDD & UberSkin - homepage czech project: Winpack.org and windows98.ic.cz

dj.tuBIG/MaliceX

dj.tuBIG/MaliceX
  • 9 posts
Hey. Would it work if I installed this, then 98SE2ME, then Revolutions pack 7?

Thanks.

Xstyle

Xstyle

A friend...

• PipPip
  • 242 posts

Hey. Would it work if I installed this, then 98SE2ME, then Revolutions pack 7?

Thanks.

Yes! In fact this is the right order. But when u install 98se2me install whitout option 3 if u want to install RP7. Read this: http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/read1st.php

Posted Image

RSidebar Builder
Renovatio Project Creator
EtherLuna Pack, XTP Creator(Xstyle Theme Pack-XTP and XTP2 Creator)

Gape

Gape

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
sleffing, Molecule, thanks for your feedback.

Yes, uSP 3.0 contains unofficial updates.

Now 3.0 Alpha 1 is almost ready [Alpha releases will focus only to collect currently best updates]. There are only 2 problems:

- Although I added required Windows Update information into the registry. Q891711, and Q918547 are still showing up on the Windows Update. Does anyone know something about it ?
- "COMCTL32.DLL file cannot start" problem during uninstallation of Adaptec ASPI or Boot/Shutdown logos.

Some new features like USB thumb drives support, Enable48bitLBA will be included in the next alpha/beta release.

sleffing

sleffing

• 24 posts

- Although I added required Windows Update information into the registry. Q891711, and Q918547 are still showing up on the Windows Update. Does anyone know something about it ?

Windows Update does not use the Update information for these I think.
I have tried many ways and
it seems Windows Update looks at the files on disk
and checks the versions of the .dll AND the .exe.

It does not check the RunServices key I believe.

Maybe someone else knows a 'workaround'.

galahs

galahs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Great to hear your going to work on this again Gape :thumbup

Can I suggest your future Update has the following options:

1. Install Official Microsoft Updates (upto July 2006)
2. Install Un-Official Microsoft Updates (July 2006 +)
3. Install 3rd Party Updates (USB, 137GB +, 2GB Copy etc)

That way people can install the the parts they want.

I know some businesses don't allow Unofficial or 3rd party updates on their systems.

Either way, great to hear we will soon have a single patch that brings our 98SE systems back up-to-date :correct:

Posted Image
Australia, it's time we became a Republic!

Max_04

Max_04

Unofficial Service Packs Italian Releaser

• PipPip
  • 278 posts

sleffing, Molecule, thanks for your feedback.

Yes, uSP 3.0 contains unofficial updates.

Now 3.0 Alpha 1 is almost ready [Alpha releases will focus only to collect currently best updates]. There are only 2 problems:

- "COMCTL32.DLL file cannot start" problem during uninstallation of Adaptec ASPI or Boot/Shutdown logos.

Some new features like USB thumb drives support, Enable48bitLBA will be included in the next alpha/beta release.

Uninstallation of Adaptec ASPI 4.60.1021 in general is problematic... i've had few days ago "aspienum.vxd missing" after uninstallation during boot.

Edited by Max_04, 18 August 2007 - 03:17 PM.

Posted Image

Italian localizer for free (not for bastard sellers on ebay).

Many thanks to MDGx, Tihiy, Petr, Gape, Soporific!

http://www.eng2ita.net

Gape

Gape

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
3.0 ALPHA 1 is released. :thumbup

Targaff

Targaff

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts
Gape: excellent, downloaded and I'll try it at lunchtime. How come you decided to remove Metapad, though?

Gape

Gape

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Gape: excellent, downloaded and I'll try it at lunchtime. How come you decided to remove Metapad, though?

I can add it on the next releases, if I get more request, no problem.

galahs

galahs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Well done Gape!

You have made a lot of people happy.

I wont be able to test it for a few days until I get a test rig ready as my current computer Win98 machine is in constant use and cannot be risked atm.

I think it is better if you leave Metapad out. Many people don't require an updated replacement for Notepad.

It's a service pack for Win98SE, just fix bugs in the operating system. Keep it simple.
If people want 3rd party products they can easily download and install them themselves.

Again many thanks! :thumbup

Edited by galahs, 20 August 2007 - 03:29 AM.

Posted Image
Australia, it's time we became a Republic!

Xeno86

Xeno86

KernelEx Creator

• PipPip
  • 250 posts
After installing uSP 2.1a I do encounter a problem:

When I insert CD in one of my drives and immediately open My Computer the whole system freezes (incl. mouse cursor) until the disc in detected. This also happens when I have Nero launched and insert a CD.

There is also another problem: sometimes when I remove CD from the drive, explorer 'thinks' that it is still inserted -> you can see the contents of the CD which isn't present. OR when I insert another CD I see contents of previous CD. But when I try to access anything on it I get a blue screen and system dies.

I have isolated the problem and it is related to CDVSD.VXD 4.10.2226 which is distributed with uSP.
The problem disappears when I install original CDVSD.VXD 4.10.2222.
The problem occured on 3 different computers on which I have installed uSP.
KernelEx: home board download

Gape

Gape

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

After installing uSP 2.1a I do encounter a problem:

When I insert CD in one of my drives and immediately open My Computer the whole system freezes (incl. mouse cursor) until the disc in detected. This also happens when I have Nero launched and insert a CD.

There is also another problem: sometimes when I remove CD from the drive, explorer 'thinks' that it is still inserted -> you can see the contents of the CD which isn't present. OR when I insert another CD I see contents of previous CD. But when I try to access anything on it I get a blue screen and system dies.

I have isolated the problem and it is related to CDVSD.VXD 4.10.2226 which is distributed with uSP.
The problem disappears when I install original CDVSD.VXD 4.10.2222.
The problem occured on 3 different computers on which I have installed uSP.

Thank you very much. I will try to reproduce it. I also should check that if there are other CDVSD.VXD versions such as 2225, 2224 etc.

Targaff

Targaff

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts

I think it is better if you leave Metapad out. Many people don't require an updated replacement for Notepad.

In 2.1a at least it was an optional install; if people don't want it they don't have to install it. It's not like it's a massive increase to the file size, either.

Anyhow, all seems fine so far here. The only comments I would make are that I get "newer file exist" notifications for files relating to HTML Help files (hhupd.dll (?), ltirc.dll, ltss.dll and one other), so I ended up keeping the existing files. I didn't get the chance to check the different version infos, since I'm at work, but maybe this is something else that could be updated?

Windows does seem marginally more sluggish post-install, but that's pretty much unquantifiable, and it's hard to judge on a system like this one anyhow, so I'd maybe see whether anyone else has a similar experience.

Gape

Gape

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Anyhow, all seems fine so far here. The only comments I would make are that I get "newer file exist" notifications for files relating to HTML Help files (hhupd.dll (?), ltirc.dll, ltss.dll and one other), so I ended up keeping the existing files. I didn't get the chance to check the different version infos, since I'm at work, but maybe this is something else that could be updated?

Thanks. I will check it. Maybe there is a newer HTML Help update.

Windows does seem marginally more sluggish post-install, but that's pretty much unquantifiable, and it's hard to judge on a system like this one anyhow, so I'd maybe see whether anyone else has a similar experience.

When ? After rebooting ?

Targaff

Targaff

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts

When ? After rebooting ?

Yeah, a bit - explorer windows taking more time than usual to open, for example. Like I said, though, this system is very much atypical (P4 matched with 128MB ram (!) on a dodgy network), so I wouldn't particularly trust it as representative. And it seems to have cleared up a bit now anyhow.

Gape

Gape

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Yeah, a bit - explorer windows taking more time than usual to open, for example. Like I said, though, this system is very much atypical (P4 matched with 128MB ram (!) on a dodgy network), so I wouldn't particularly trust it as representative. And it seems to have cleared up a bit now anyhow.

Could you give me a little more information about your system ? What did you have before installing 3.0a1 ? Did you have 2.1a ? Any other update pack ? IE version ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN