Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

98 SE SP 3.32

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
2359 replies to this topic

galahs

galahs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Joined 01-December 05
I like the idea of optional installations.
Especially because I know that when used in some corporate and government environments, only Official Updates are allowed to be installed.

1. [ / ] Official Microsoft Updates
2. [ ] Unofficial Microsoft Updates (optional)
3. [ ] 3rd Party Updates (optional)

You can check the appropriate box if you want the Unofficial and 3rd party updates installed.

Posted Image
Australia, it's time we became a Republic!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

WebMatze

WebMatze

Junior

• Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Joined 29-July 04
For testing only: Franch Version Alpha 2:

http://rapidshare.co...0A2-fr.rar.html

jim2029

jim2029

• 47 posts
  • Joined 18-December 07

From now on, Dblake1, get the latest alpha or beta release of uSP 3.0 for Win98se at MDGx's web site. Good thing MDGx has made it available there.

and what is MDGx's site's address???

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,872 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm

jim2029

jim2029

• 47 posts
  • Joined 18-December 07

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm

Thanks.

btw, i downloaded the service pack 3 alpha 2 and it works fine on my laptop. I already had the service pack 2.1 installed on it.

Edited by jim2029, 29 December 2007 - 08:29 PM.

MikeyHunt

MikeyHunt

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Joined 24-December 07
download link at the top - doesn't work.
Less is More... More or Less - Les Moore

Chozo4

Chozo4

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Joined 31-July 05

download link at the top - doesn't work.

Hasn't been fixed yet it seems. However, in a previous post a working link can be found courtesy of MDGx.

http://www.msfn.org/...p...st&p=704193

Edited by Chozo4, 30 December 2007 - 09:37 PM.

soporific

soporific

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Joined 12-June 05
Dear Gape,

re: 285189 - apart from the following reg entries

; 285189
HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RemoteAccess,SecureVPN,1,00,00,00,00
HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RemoteAccess,UseLmPassword,1,01,00,00,00
HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RemoteAccess,ForceStrongEncryption,1,00,00,00,00
HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RemoteAccess,EncryptionLevel,1,40,00,00,00
HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RemoteAccess,Version,,"2.2"

what are the files you also include as part of installing DUN14?

Thanks in advance

Edited by soporific, 15 January 2008 - 05:30 AM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
The dsound.dll in your SP pack is older than the one from DirectX 9

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 26 January 2008 - 05:02 PM.

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
:thumbup

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 17 October 2011 - 10:34 AM.

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Gape

Gape

Author - Unofficial Win98 SE SP

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Joined 01-September 04
Updated to Alpha 3.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

OK. Although i got a lot of popups about higher file versions (and not every file i should keep; for example cdvfs.vxd which we discussed to replace).

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined 04-April 05

Updated to Alpha 3.

It's great to hear that you're still working on that project (because I haven't seen you lately). :thumbup

cyberformer

cyberformer

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 16-September 05
So when I install 3.0 ALPHA 3, (or any pack for that matter)and those pop ups-- pop up asking me -- do I want to keep this file--am I supposed to click OK or NO? I've always had that problem, (the way its worded) confuses me! I've always clicked yes, but am checking here, just to see if I should be clicking no. It's Carnival over here so I am a tad foggy in the mind! In fact I have no idea at the moment if this post is going to end up in the right spot!

Gape

Gape

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Joined 01-September 04

So when I install 3.0 ALPHA 3, (or any pack for that matter)and those pop ups-- pop up asking me -- do I want to keep this file--am I supposed to click OK or NO? I've always had that problem, (the way its worded) confuses me! I've always clicked yes, but am checking here, just to see if I should be clicking no. It's Carnival over here so I am a tad foggy in the mind! In fact I have no idea at the moment if this post is going to end up in the right spot!

Thanks for the feedback. You should select OK, in other words, you should keep the newer files. I will try to improve version handling in the next version to avoid these popups.

cyberformer

cyberformer

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 16-September 05
I just did a fresh install of win 98se. Then I installed IE6. I used the old W9x Power Patch to install the IE 6 SP1 update patch. I then installed sesp 30a3 -en.
The machine rebooted and oddly enough, there was not one pop up asking me anything!
I then used Norton Win Doc to check for problems; it found 61 problems and fixed them.
Everything seems to work quite well.
Now do I need to install the unofficial IE6 update?
Seems to be another great manifestation of your dedication to 98se Gape! Thanks! Thanks! and more Thanks--!!!!

thydreamwalker

thydreamwalker

teddybearguru7

• PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Joined 14-November 07
:thumbup Great SESP3.0a3 ,helps fix past problems with previous issues in 98SE updates...<**One ...Question ?Is thee SESP2.01d-germanupdate- the same as 3.0a2...except in german?>tried it ,yet does not translate well ,as i could not tell any differences...thx,thydreamwalker :thumbup
thydreamwalker

celtish

celtish

Win98SE Forever!

• PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Joined 10-November 04
posting deleted

Edited by celtish, 16 February 2008 - 05:43 PM.

celtish of Southport
Just my twopenn'orth!
Computer Club http://www.celticsurf.net/computers/
Internet Abuse http://www.celticsur...cape/abuse.html

Posted Image

Guest_ecb24_*

Guest_ecb24_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --
Does anyone here who's got a german Win98 plan on creating a translated version of the new Service Pack?

I'd even make a localized version myself, if somebody would just tell me how to do that. Is it just a few files that have to be changed or do I have to really dig in and spend hours to change all of the stuff and translate the whole thing?

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,140 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04

Thanks for the feedback. You should select OK, in other words, you should keep the newer files. I will try to improve version handling in the next version to avoid these popups.

to prevent the file version popups, put either ",,,1056" or ",,,32" after certain files listed in the SPUPDATE.INF file.
Example > "hh.exe" should be "hh.exe,,,1056" or "hh.exe,,,32"

New OLE Automation security updates:
http://www.microsoft...n/ms08-008.mspx
Please include OLEAUT32.DLL version 2.40.4520 dated 12/21/2007 in the next release of the 98se SP. Version 2.40.4522 dated 6/19/2003 in the SP does NOT resolve the latest security flaws mentioned in MS security bulletin MS08-008. And version 2.40.4532.0 of the OLEAUT32.DLL file from the Win2000 KB943055 security update does not work correctly under Win95/98/98se/ME/NT4.

Also be sure to update the ASYCFILT.DLL, OLEPRO32.DLL & STDOLE2.TLB files to version 2.40.4530 listed in MS article 917423. Get MDGx's unofficial OLE Automation patch to obtain these files.

The dsound.dll in your SP pack is older than the one from DirectX 9

Not a big deal, PROBLEMCHYLD. The dsound.dll file gets updated if DirectX 6.1 (bundled with Win98se) or DirectX 7 is installed. Including a DX9 release of dsound.dll in the SP may wreck a Win98se machine that does not have DX9 installed. So don't worry about it.

Edited by erpdude8, 13 February 2008 - 11:29 AM.

herbalist

herbalist

paranoid independent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Joined 15-December 06

Please, write ANY comment (If it even works properly, write it).

I'm setting up a 98SE test box made with 98lite preview to remove Internet Explorer and Windows Update. Upgraded USB, added drivers for network card and external hardware. Windows Installer 2.0.2600.2 and vcredist 4.71.1015.0 were installed next, then my security apps (SSM free, Kerio 2, Proxomitron), SeaMonkey, Java, Xsetup, and basic tools.

Installed the SE SP 3.0 alpha 3 to this package. No problems with the install. So far, everything works properly. Performance is good considering the hardware specs. I haven't finished installing what I need yet and haven't checked what else needs updating, but so far, so good. Seems to work well on units without Internet Explorer installed.

Rick

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,140 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04

to prevent the file version popups, put either ",,,1056" or ",,,32" after certain files listed in the SPUPDATE.INF file.
Example > "hh.exe" should be "hh.exe,,,1056" or "hh.exe,,,32"

Please make a note of this Gape, if you really want to prevent the Version Conflict popups.
And files listed like this "Snmp.exe,,,1024" in the SPUPDATE.INF file; change it to look like this > "Snmp.exe,,,1056"
ANY files listed that have ",,,1024" after it should have ",,,1056"
and files like "Msasn1.dll" should be listed as "Msasn1.dll,,,32"

Gape

Gape

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Joined 01-September 04
Thanks for all feedback. Finally posted BETA version. Have fun :)

j7n

j7n

• PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Joined 18-December 06
Service Pack 2 changed Windows logo in the system-wide About box. The new picture was an ugly 16-color WinXP logo. Perhaps it is not a good idea to apply XP artwork to 98?

Gape

Gape

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Joined 01-September 04

Service Pack 2 changed Windows logo in the system-wide About box. The new picture was an ugly 16-color WinXP logo. Perhaps it is not a good idea to apply XP artwork to 98?

It was very old version of Service Pack (1.x). I am sure that all versions of Service Pack 2 and 3 doesn't change About box logo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN