98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

I know everyone concerned is busy and have lives to live, but I wish that the "detailed list" of the "120+ updates and hotfixes" would be prepared soon.

You already have the complete list in SPUPDATE.INF file + WBEM updates, Q313829, Q329414, CRL update, root certificates update, MS Installer 2.0, Windows Script 5.6.

Thanks a lot Petr for pointing this out to me.

I'm at that stage in my knowledge where I know little, but enough to have lots of "But what if/why/how...?" kind of questions that I know will usually annoy more knowledgeable people. ;) I'm doing my best to answer these questions myself, but so far my efforts are causing me to have more confusion than useful knowledge.

My main concern is to have a fully-patched/updated 98SE, including a fully-patched IE6 SP1. Of course, luckily for us all, the Service Pack does much to achieve this. But I still have lots of questions: about the best installation order to get the most out of the pack IF one wants a system with all or many of the various add-ons, such as MSXML 4.0 SP2, MDAC; about exactly what IE updates to install before installing SP2.1a; about whether the latest IE cumulative update actually replaces all prior IE updates, or whether one needs to install some updates or every update that was released for IE6 SP1 for a complete installation. So, as you can see, a lot of questions, most of which belong in other threads, and most of which I have no doubt are just annoying to most people for whom the answers are already clear. ;)

By the way, just as a matter of interest, I recorded all the KB numbers that Maximus-Decim's Cumulative Update installs, and which SP2.1a does not. Now, I realise that a lot of those updates in MD's pack have been superceded by newer updates, which explains the absence of those older updates in Gape's pack. But still, would it serve any purpose if I posted this list? Personally I doubt it, but I ask simply because I do not know in detail which updates in MD's pack have been superceded and which updates have been left out for some other reason (that a hotfix is badly-written and causes more problems than it is worth, for example).

Ok, now I will stop hogging this thread. :yes:

Edited by bristols

I've just installed the service pack (all options but metapad checked) on a fresh Win98SE install under a virtual machine (in QEMU) and I suffer from none of the problems Jimmsta describes above. Everything works as normal.

Very nice service pack by the way.

I also think that Wintop from the win95 kernel toys should be included. Maybe also the Timezone Editor and the DOS Mode Configuration Wizard.

Wintop? nah. too cumbersome. Timezone editor? ok but use the one included on the win98 cd. DOS mode config wizard? only if you use a lot of DOS programs, otherwise, leave it out of the pack?

But the pack does contain some IE updates, doesn't it? For instance, new in 2.1a is Q885836 (MSWRD632.WPC), which, as I understand it, is an IE6 SP1 update.

WRONG, bristols!!!! Q885836 is NOT an IE6 SP1 update. It's a Wordpad security update. See Microsoft Security bulletin MS04-041 and Microsoft KB article 885836:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms04-041.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885836

The 98se pack contains some IE 5.x updates; updates for the built-in IE 5.0 browser originally included in Win98 SE.

Edited by erpdude8

Wintop? nah. too cumbersome. Timezone editor? ok but use the one included on the win98 cd. DOS mode config wizard? only if you use a lot of DOS programs, otherwise, leave it out of the pack?

WinTop is too cumbersome? Do you consider 17,408 *bytes* cumbersome?

Win98 deserves what NT and descendants had forever - a decent Task Monitor, which WinTop is.

What is the point of including Tz editor from win98 Resource Kit, if it is available to anyone who has the cd? It does not improve/fix the cd.

Edited by appp

WRONG, bristols!!!! Q885836 is NOT an IE6 SP1 update. It's a Wordpad security update.

Heh, erpdude, if you read directly underneath where I made that statement about Q885836, you will see that I did correct my mistake with an edit. But thank you for making the identity of Q885836 even clearer. ;)

Incidentally, while I'm here and, really for any other less experienced users, I found an authoritative and at least 'official' account of how to regard updates for IE, particularly cumulative ones, here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=42259

Most of the explanation was given by the indefatigable MDGx (try saying that after a pint or three ;) ), but also by your good self, erpdude. :)

I say 'official', because, generally-speaking again as I understand it, M$ IE and generally Windows updates have a history of being incomplete, broken or otherwise badly-written, shifty, elusive, hard-to-find, and otherwise inexplicable in terms of the effect that updates here and there can have on each other. I'm still just learning here, but it does seem fair to say that the story of the mutual compatibility and comprehensiveness of IE updates is not an easily-understood, clear and distinct one.

Perhaps I am WRONG! :)

Gape,

The Unofficial Win98 SE service pack version 2.1a is NOT posted at the Majorgeeks.com site.

they still have the original version 2.1 file [sesp21en.exe] even though they say they have

version 2.1a. The newer one [sesp21a-en.exe] was posted at the Softpedia.com, Rapidshare,

Mytempdir.com and Freeware Files.com sites but not Majorgeeks.

How come when I use Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit (version 7.0t), it says the SP21 has failed verification. Is this because Advisor doesn't know that everything is bundled into one component?

DataAccess

no verification data Q329414-21 on 11/6/05 (details...)

Internet Explorer

no verification data SP1 (SP1)

no verification data Q240308 (details...)

no verification data Q313829 (details...)

no verification data Q328389 (details...)

Win98.SE

passed verification UPD263044 (details...)

Win98SE.SP2

passed verification SP21ASPI (Adaptec ASPI 4.6)

failed verification SP21CORE (uSP 2.1 for Windows 98 SE) Reinstall!

passed verification SP21NOVER (Files with no version information)

passed verification SP21SCR56 (Windows Script 5.6)

passed verification SP21TWUI (Tweak UI)

passed verification SP21WBEM15 (WBEM 1.5 updates)

How come when I use Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit (version 7.0t), it says the SP21 has failed verification. Is this because Advisor doesn't know that everything is bundled into one component?

DataAccess

no verification data Q329414-21 on 11/6/05 (details...)

Internet Explorer

no verification data SP1 (SP1)

no verification data Q240308 (details...)

no verification data Q313829 (details...)

no verification data Q328389 (details...)

Win98.SE

passed verification UPD263044 (details...)

Win98SE.SP2

passed verification SP21ASPI (Adaptec ASPI 4.6)

failed verification SP21CORE (uSP 2.1 for Windows 98 SE) Reinstall!

passed verification SP21NOVER (Files with no version information)

passed verification SP21SCR56 (Windows Script 5.6)

passed verification SP21TWUI (Tweak UI)

passed verification SP21WBEM15 (WBEM 1.5 updates)

You have probably installed my QFE data, right? Belarc Advisor just takes the information from registry, like QFECheck does, and as I wrote as a comment to the QFE.INF, missing files are OK because many files are installed only if they already exist.

Petr

MajorGeeks just posted SP 2.1a today, 12-5-2005 [i guess the news got to them late :(]:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4131.html

thanks. I found that out in the morning. Good thing I downloaded the 2.1a pack at Freeware Files.com site

and then I checked back at the Majorgeeks.com site in the afternoon and they did post up the 2.1a pack there.

Better late and never, I guess.

Inclusions I like to see in the next release of the 98se pack:

-unofficial win98 Krnl386.exe 4.10.1999 patch [fixes a bug in that file that microsoft forgot to patch]

-unofficial win98 voltrack.vxd 4.10.1999 patch [fixes a bug in that file that microsoft could not fix]

-unofficial win98se update.sys 4.10.2223 patch

-Metapad version 3.51 (now latest version)

Thanks for the explanation Petr.

Now .... next questions .....

Does the 98SESP2.1a include updates to MDAC???

What version of MDAC ships with Win98SE install CD?

If I install the upgrade MDAC 2.8 --> BEFORE <-- I install the Service Pack, will I get the patch Q329414?

Which is better .... the Q329414 package or the MDAC upgrade?

Can Win98 handle the newer MDAC?

MS02-065: Buffer overrun in Microsoft Data Access Components can lead to code execution.

Notice

The vulnerability does not affect Microsoft Windows XP, although Windows XP uses Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0. By default, Windows XP installs Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.7. MDAC 2.7 is not affected.

Does the 98SESP2.1a include updates to MDAC???

It contains:

Msadco.dll 2.12.5118.0

Msadcs.dll 2.12.5118.0

from Q329414 update.

What version of MDAC ships with Win98SE install CD?
Version 2.1 although I'm not sure if it is complete.
If I install the upgrade MDAC 2.8 --> BEFORE <-- I install the Service Pack, will I get the patch Q329414?

Q329414 patch updates MDAC 2.1, 2.5 and 2.6 files only.

Which is better .... the Q329414 package or the MDAC upgrade?
I have no idea, it depends on your needs.
Can Win98 handle the newer MDAC?

As you can read here: Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8 SP1:

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000; Windows 98; Windows ME; Windows NT

Petr

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000; Windows 98; Windows ME; Windows NT
Thanks Petr .... just found the info on the website:

Release version number

MDAC 2.8 SP1 (2.81.1117.6), May 2005

Minimum supported configuration

• Microsoft Windows 98 with the Y2K Update 2 and Internet Explorer 5.01

• Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition and Internet Explorer 5.01

• Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition and Internet Explorer 5.01

• Microsoft Windows NT 4 Service Pack 5 (SP5) or a later version, and Internet Explorer 5.01

• Microsoft Windows 2000