Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

98 SE SP 3.32

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
2359 replies to this topic

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

In the end, the only fix was to revert to the older version of usp10.dll.
Once I did that, Opera worked fine.

Thanks for you testing and findings. I will downgrade USP10.DLL in the next release.
Please note this issue does NOT occur if using Opera 10.10 with newer version of USP10.DLL.

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
:thumbup Updated :w00t:

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
There's a question that hasn't been replied to, ever since the discussion in the other thread: how about usp10.dll v1.471.4030.0? Got it on my system for a long time and K-Meleon is using it. Has anyone else used it? Any issues?
I'm asking because I only see this switch between v1.422.3790.3959 and the apparently incompatible Vista version 1.626.6002.22402 - nothing inbetween. :unsure:

North of Watford

North of Watford

Junior

• Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 12-October 07
No great help to answer the question you pose, but just in case it helps to shed some light on the topic ... ...

On the W2KSP4 (+ all the official updates including the update roll up, until they stopped) box I use for work, there is usp10.dll ver 1.325.2195.6692 in the winnt\system32 directory.

The payroll program that I use brought its own "improved" version and stashed it with its own executable. The payroll software is updated annually, last time in March 2011. This improved version of usp10.dll is 1.409.2600.1106.

Hope that doesn't cloud the issue too much!

Jeff

jds

jds

-DOS+

• PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Joined 03-June 08
I tried installing the SP3 (2011/12/13 edition) on a laptop yesterday. It (the laptop) seemed to have little or no updates over the W98SE installation CD, including for IE5.

There were two errors reported during installation, one for "rsabase.dll" and one for "msxml3.dll".

To fix the "rsabase.dll" error, I installed "ie501dom.exe" (downloaded some time ago from MS) then "ie501sp2.exe" (downloaded from 'evolt.org'; BTW, not sure where to find updates to reach the ie501sp4 level).

To fix the "msxml3.dll" error, I installed : http://www.msfn.org/...nent-update-20/

This suggests the SP3 may be missing a couple of things, to be able to install over an original W98SE installation.

Joe.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,802 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
I have succesfully installed this on a BARE 98se trhough several incarnations.

Remember there are actually THREE versions....

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

I tried installing the SP3 (2011/12/13 edition) on a laptop yesterday. It (the laptop) seemed to have little or no updates over the W98SE installation CD, including for IE5.

There were two errors reported during installation, one for "rsabase.dll" and one for "msxml3.dll".

To fix the "rsabase.dll" error, I installed "ie501dom.exe" (downloaded some time ago from MS) then "ie501sp2.exe" (downloaded from 'evolt.org'; BTW, not sure where to find updates to reach the ie501sp4 level).

To fix the "msxml3.dll" error, I installed : http://www.msfn.org/...nent-update-20/

This suggests the SP3 may be missing a couple of things, to be able to install over an original W98SE installation.

Joe.

I'm sure if you have installed the right version then you shouldn't get any of the errors you posted above.
rsabase.dll is not included in the SP3 so I don't know where this error is coming from.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

jds

jds

-DOS+

• PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Joined 03-June 08

Joe.

I'm sure if you have installed the right version then you shouldn't get any of the errors you posted above.
rsabase.dll is not included in the SP3 so I don't know where this error is coming from.

No, I didn't download/install the wrong version. The original SP3 page stated :

U98SESP3.EXE (39 Mb)
(Must have Internet Explorer installed already)

That corresponded to my starting point.

You say (here) that "rsabase.dll is not included in the SP3". Perhaps so, but presumably SP3 has some dependency on "rsabase.dll" that doesn't quite work for a baseline W98SE+IE5 installation?

Now, I see that you've just revised your SP3 page to state :

U98SESP3.EXE (40 Mb)
(Must have Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 or 6.0 SP1 installed already)

I wonder, why is IE 5.5 SP2 being specified as a requirement, when (i) this isn't the starting point when you install from the W98SE CD-ROM and (ii) at least IE 5.01SP2 seems to be sufficient (not sure if "ie501dom" was also required, but I installed this just-in-case, so as to enable 128 bit encryption)?

Joe.

Edited by jds, 03 January 2012 - 09:35 PM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

I wonder, why is IE 5.5 SP2 being specified as a requirement, when (i) this isn't the starting point when you install from the W98SE CD-ROM and (ii) at least IE 5.01SP2 seems to be sufficient (not sure if "ie501dom" was also required, but I installed this just-in-case, so as to enable 128 bit encryption)?

Joe.

Because a lot of updated files require IE 5.5 or IE6.
And yes I did revise the page to specify IE versions so people who is running IE 5.01 would update their browser files.
I'm sorry you having trouble, but there is a simple solution, update IE to one or the other version.
Gapes older version would install on a clean installation.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
Added MFC42.DLL 6.2.8092.0

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

mrsk565

mrsk565

Power User

• Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 01-January 12
Thanks for working on this, I see theres been alot added. Has any tests been made yet ?
| Windows Isn't Performance Without Open-Source |

Posted Image

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

Thanks for working on this, I see theres been alot added. Has any tests been made yet ?

what do you mean?

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

mrsk565

mrsk565

Power User

• Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 01-January 12
Oh, well I seen you have a link to U98SESP3 01-04-2012. I clicked it and it has the updated service pack that says it just came today, I was thinking about trying it.

Posted Image

jds

jds

-DOS+

• PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Joined 03-June 08

Joe.

Because a lot of updated files require IE 5.5 or IE6.
And yes I did revise the page to specify IE versions so people who is running IE 5.01 would update their browser files.
I'm sorry you having trouble, but there is a simple solution, update IE to one or the other version.

Let me just clarify. The version of IE that comes with W98SE is 5.0, not 5.01 (version numbering for IE is confusing). Since the corresponding install error for the SP3 package disappeared after I installed IE5.01SP2, this suggests that's the minimum required version of IE (although I didn't try other iterations of IE5.01).

Gapes older version would install on a clean installation.

Yes, that had been my expectation for the current release of SP3. I suppose that is still the case for the alternative builds of SP3 which are intended for "non-IE" installations.

Joe.

Edited by jds, 04 January 2012 - 11:09 PM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
Whether its IE 5.0, 5.01 or 5.01SP2 if you want to install the Service Pack without errors you have to install one of the IE versions I listed above. Unless you are a 98lite user then theres no way around it.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

jds

jds

-DOS+

• PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Joined 03-June 08

Whether its IE 5.0, 5.01 or 5.01SP2 if you want to install the Service Pack without errors you have to install one of the IE versions I listed above. Unless you are a 98lite user then theres no way around it.

Well, if you say so. However, I did install the SP3 without errors, with IE only at version 5.01SP2, as described previously : http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__986703

Joe.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

Well, if you say so. However, I did install the SP3 without errors, with IE only at version 5.01SP2, as described previously : http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__986703

Joe.

Thats good to know :thumbup We learn something new everyday :w00t:

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
This bug in the Service Pack

BUG REPORT - If you run U98SESP3.EXE Main Updates more than once, you will have a folder named REPLMAN in
\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared, just delete it.

I fixed it :thumbup :w00t:
I will release a new update next week.
We are almost BUG FREE with the Service Pack.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 07 January 2012 - 10:28 AM.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

mrsk565

mrsk565

Power User

• Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 01-January 12
Is it also named Replication Manager 4.0

Posted Image

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

There's a question that hasn't been replied to, ever since the discussion in the other thread: how about usp10.dll v1.471.4030.0? Got it on my system for a long time and K-Meleon is using it. Has anyone else used it? Any issues?
I'm asking because I only see this switch between v1.422.3790.3959 and the apparently incompatible Vista version 1.626.6002.22402 - nothing inbetween. :unsure:

Can you send me this file so I can test it. Thanks

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
I have found a newer version in Office2003 SP3.
USP10.DLL 1.0471.4063.0

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

jds

jds

-DOS+

• PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Joined 03-June 08
Another candidate for inclusion in the SP3 : http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__945944

Joe.

Edit : Oops!!! I search this thread, but forgot to search : http://www.msfn.org/...ed-tweaked-etc/ (which already includes the above)

Edited by jds, 11 January 2012 - 01:36 AM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
Sorry guys no more updates. When I asked for help I didn't get it so the hell with you. I'm out of here like MDGX and the rest of the gang.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,864 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Sorry guys no more updates. When I asked for help I didn't get it so the hell with you. I'm out of here like MDGX and the rest of the gang.

With all due respect, which help didn't you get? I do think we've all been plenty helpful along the way, and all respect you and your project a lot. MDGx hasn't got himself any 9x/ME machine anymore, and yet he keeps trying to keep things up to date. He's far from gone. Tihiy and Xeno86 also remain around, although both come here less than in the past. Most others remain here, too. In my reckoning, only Petr gave up on 9x/ME for good. And he's a great loss.
That said, of course I cannot prevent you from going away, if you so wish. But let me ask you: away whither?

Together we've got here, and remain strong... scattered, IMO, the community will wither. :(

pjmelect

pjmelect

• 28 posts
  • Joined 03-April 06
It would be a shame if the service pack wasn't finished to provide a final update after all of the work that has been put into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN