Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

98 SE SP 3.32

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
2359 replies to this topic

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04

dsound.dll (again)

installing the SP2.1a after DirectX9c (as recommended) with the following line

DSOUND.DLL,,DSOUND.TMP,4
in the update.inf, makes the SP overwrite the new dsound.dll (4.09) from DirectX9c with the old one (4.07) from the SP :(
DxDiag also recognizes the deprecated file and recommends the reinstallation of DirectX9c

Is there an alternative installation method?
maybe another number than ",4"

another good reason why the dsound.dll file (4.07) should either not be included in the 98se SP or the
pack should not install that file if DX8 or DX9 is installed under Win98se.

I sure like to see vip.386 version 4.10.2227 included in the next release of SE SP.

and I would like to see the pack display a dialog box asking whether or not to un-install the 98se SP.
Double-clicking on SE SP in Add/Remove programs uninstalls the pack immediately, without prompting
the user whether to uninstall the pack or not. that's kinda dangerous since one time I accidently clicked on the uninstall SE SP entry in Add/Remove programs on a Win98se machine. ouch!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Gape

Gape

Author - Unofficial Win98 SE SP

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Joined 01-September 04

and I would like to see the pack display a dialog box asking whether or not to un-install the 98se SP.
Double-clicking on SE SP in Add/Remove programs uninstalls the pack immediately, without prompting
the user whether to uninstall the pack or not. that's kinda dangerous since one time I accidently clicked on the uninstall SE SP entry in Add/Remove programs on a Win98se machine. ouch!

2.1a does that.

Edited by Gape, 16 December 2005 - 08:26 AM.

Petr

Petr

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Joined 15-April 05

dsound.dll (again)

installing the SP2.1a after DirectX9c (as recommended) with the following line

DSOUND.DLL,,DSOUND.TMP,4
in the update.inf, makes the SP overwrite the new dsound.dll (4.09) from DirectX9c with the old one (4.07) from the SP :(
DxDiag also recognizes the deprecated file and recommends the reinstallation of DirectX9c

Is there an alternative installation method?
maybe another number than ",4"

another good reason why the dsound.dll file (4.07) should either not be included in the 98se SP or the
pack should not install that file if DX8 or DX9 is installed under Win98se.

In English version of SESP it is correct.

No, in the current version the dialog should appear. Have you used the last version?

Petr

bristols

bristols

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Joined 24-September 05

I suppose it is because both these files come from MS05-013: Vulnerability in the DHTML editing component ActiveX control could allow code execution and there must be some (unknown to us) reason why Microsoft have different file in Windows 98 SE version and Windows 2000 version of this fix.

Ah, I didn't know this. So, I guess it remains to be determined whether the DHTMLED.OCX from the 2000 fix (build 6.01.9232) is in any way superior to the 98 SE version (assuming, of course that they both have the same functionality on 98 SE systems and that it's ok to install 6.01.9232 on them), because if it had been judged superior, it would be in the SP2.1a... Is that right? The policy of including files from other OS is sometimes followed by SP2.1a, is it not?

Anyway, not to worry, just curious.

It comes from Directory Services Client Update for Windows 98. The simplest thing is to google for vredir.vxd 4.10.0.2231 - the first result is this knowedgebase article.

Thank you. The simple answers are sometimes the best. :)

Edited by bristols, 16 December 2005 - 09:52 AM.

Big Monstro

Big Monstro

• 12 posts
  • Joined 02-October 05
Hello,
this SP is naturally a good new but, before I'll tested, I've some questions:

1) I noticed some of updates integrated in this pack concern Microsoft Office.
I believed SPs contain only fixes for the operating system.
Why integrate these fixes and not integrate fixes for Media Player by example?
What happened on computers, which haven't Office? I asked that because it's possible installing this pack at first. Do the files modified concern also WordPad?

2) Another fix, Q885836, is integrated in this pack. Is programming security fix for Win98 it possible?
Because, at this address: http://www.microsoft...n/ms04-041.mspx ,
it's clearly indicated:

No. None of these vulnerabilities are critical in severity on Windows 98, on Windows 98 Second Edition, or on Windows Millennium Edition.

Non-critical security issues are not offered during this support period.

3) Is the problem about Windows 2000 icons (which I've already mentioned) resolved?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Petr

Petr

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Joined 15-April 05

1) I noticed some of updates integrated in this pack concern Microsoft Office.
I believed SPs contain only fixes for the operating system.
Why integrate these fixes and not integrate fixes for Media Player by example?
What happened on computers, which haven't Office? I asked that because it's possible installing this pack at first. Do the files modified concern also WordPad?

If you mean the following files:
Html32.cnv
Mswrd832.cnv
Msconv97.dll
Mswrd632.wpc
then these files are part of standard Windows 98 (SE) install. There are also updates intedned for Windows 98 (SE) containing some of these files, like Q823559. SESP just contains newer version of these files.

2) Another fix, Q885836, is integrated in this pack. Is programming security fix for Win98 it possible?
Because, at this address: http://www.microsoft...n/ms04-041.mspx ,
it's clearly indicated:

No. None of these vulnerabilities are critical in severity on Windows 98, on Windows 98 Second Edition, or on Windows Millennium Edition.

Non-critical security issues are not offered during this support period.

I've read at least one report that new Mswrd632.wpc behaves better in Windows 98 SE than the original one so I believe it was correct to add this update into SESP.

Petr

Gape

Gape

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Joined 01-September 04

3) Is the problem about Windows 2000 icons (which I've already mentioned) resolved?

No. It will be resolved in the next version.

mamas6667

mamas6667

• 36 posts
  • Joined 26-March 05
excuse my ignorance but reinstalling DirectX 9.0c December 2005 after USP2.1a and/or 98SE2ME would overwrite all this old files???

in the update.inf, makes the SP overwrite the new dsound.dll (4.09) from DirectX9c with the old one (4.07) from the SP sad.gif

ALso is there a switch/command line to force DirectX to force reinstall, as usually just updates the missing files if any, and if you use the same version of directX doesn't do anything!!!!!!!

Petr

Petr

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Joined 15-April 05

excuse my ignorance but reinstalling DirectX 9.0c December 2005 after USP2.1a and/or 98SE2ME would overwrite all this old files???

According to Microsoft webpage this version of DirectX is not for Windows 98 (SE).

Does anybody know why?

Petr

eidenk

eidenk

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Joined 28-March 05

According to Microsoft webpage this version of DirectX is not for Windows 98 (SE).

Does anybody know why?

Win98SE being phased out by MS I would think. Isn't it the same for the IE updates ?
Asus A8V Deluxe - Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6Ghz - 1GB DDRAM 400 - Windows ME (IE 5.5 SP2 Shell) + KernelEx 4.0 and Revolutions Pack 10

Petr

Petr

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Joined 15-April 05

Does anybody know why?

Win98SE being phased out by MS I would think. Isn't it the same for the IE updates ?

But DirectX 9.0c Redistributable (October 2005) for Software Developers - Multilingual has in the list of supported operating systems:

Windows 2000;
Windows 2000 Advanced Server;
Windows 2000 Professional Edition ;
Windows 2000 Server;
Windows 2000 Service Pack 2;
Windows 2000 Service Pack 3;
Windows 2000 Service Pack 4;
Windows 98;
Windows 98 Second Edition;
Windows ME;
Windows Server 2003;
Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1;
Windows Server 2003, Datacenter x64 Edition;
Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition;
Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition;
Windows Small Business Server 2003 ;
Windows XP; Windows XP 64-bit;
Windows XP Home Edition ;
Windows XP Home Edition N;
Windows XP Media Center Edition;
Windows XP Professional Edition ;
Windows XP Professional N;
Windows XP Service Pack 1;
Windows XP Service Pack 2;
Windows XP Starter Edition;
Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

If you compare the list with the list for dec05 version, you will see that:
Windows 98;
were deleted and
Windows XP Embedded;
Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 1;
Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 2;
were added.

I don't think that anything changed in Windows 98 support between October and December 2005.

Petr

eidenk

eidenk

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Joined 28-March 05

If you compare the list with the list for dec05 version, you will see that:
Windows 98;
were deleted and
Windows XP Embedded;
Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 1;
Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 2;
were added.

I don't think that anything changed in Windows 98 support between October and December 2005.

I have just briefly tried to install it on 98SE in a virtual machine. It does install without problems. 98 and 98SE just aren't supported anymore I think. Files are essentially the same as the previous DX9.0c it would appear. D3DX9 files are added and also some junk such as png images of input devices.
Asus A8V Deluxe - Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6Ghz - 1GB DDRAM 400 - Windows ME (IE 5.5 SP2 Shell) + KernelEx 4.0 and Revolutions Pack 10

MDGx

MDGx

98SE2ME + 98MP10

• Super Moderator
  • 2,678 posts
  • Joined 22-November 04
I have installed DX 9.0c December 2005 edition on 98SE, and installed ok.
It installed all DX files, not just the newer ones [which are actually not needed for proper DX operation]:

D3DX9_25.DLL [from August 2005 edition]
D3DX9_26.DLL [from September 2005 edition]
D3DX9_27.DLL [from October 2005 edition]
D3DX9_28.DLL [from December 2005 edition]

I believe these files just add support for MDX [Managed DirectX], not needed unless one develops/distributes DX apps/games.

I have used the full offline setup [46 MB]:
http://download.micr...2005_redist.exe
but the web based online setup:
http://download.micr.../dxwebsetup.exe
should work the same, one just needs to wait for downloading all components from MS servers [a major drag for dial-up users :(].
DX 9.0c:
http://www.mdgx.com/dx.htm#DX9

MS removed 98 + 98 SE from supported OSes list because they are not supported [not even "extended"] anymore, they are both within the "paid incident support phase" [last MS support phase], until June 30 2006:
http://support.micro...ecycle/?p1=6898
http://www.microsoft...dows/lifecycle/
http://support.micro....com/lifecycle/
On the other hand, WinME is still within the "extended support phase", until June 30 2006:
http://support.micro...ecycle/?p1=6519
That's [probably] why they still list WinME on the DX December 2005 Redist page.

BTW:
DX SDK December 2005 contains [and installs] the latest beta of DX 10.0 for Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista:
http://msdn.microsof...sdk/readmepage/
Unfortunately DX 10.0 does not work with 9x OSes.
DX SDK [any 2005 edition] cannot be installed on and doesn't work with 9x OSes.

DX10b consists of only 2 files:

D3DX10.DLL
X3DAUDIO.DLL

contained inside these CABs [X86 32-bit versions]:

Beta_Dec2005_D3DX10_x86.cab
Beta_Dec2005_XACT_x86.cab

Note that support for newer hardware is minimal at this point.
Windows Vista [formerly known as Longhorn] will install complete DX 10.0 RTM.

98SE2ME does not install/overwrite any DX files.
Please see READ1ST.TXT for details:
http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/READ1ST.TXT
Scroll all the way to the bottom of the "FAQ" chapter [ * 98SE2ME does NOT interfere with Gape's Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2 (SP2): ] to view the complete list of USP2 files 98SE2ME replaces/overwrites.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MDGx, 18 December 2005 - 08:31 AM.

eidenk

eidenk

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Joined 28-March 05

D3DX9_25.DLL [from August 2005 edition]D3DX9_26.DLL [from September 2005 edition]
D3DX9_27.DLL [from October 2005 edition]
D3DX9_28.DLL [from December 2005 edition]
I believe these files just add support for MDX [Managed DirectX], not needed unless one develops/distributes DX apps/games.

Does it not also install D3DX9_24.DLL from February 2005 edition ?

They are actually Direct3D helpers needed for some recent games and apps and they should work under 9x which is why they are installed probably. So far they weren't officially freely redistributable though they were people redistributing them without the SDK as they were absolutely needed for some games.

See here for example : http://www.toymaker..../d3dx_dlls.html

The managed DirectX component is in Dec2005_MDX1_x86.cab and Dec2005_MDX1_x86_Archive.cab I think. I don't think it does install on 9x. I haven't checked it out.

Also xinput.dll, an Xbox 360 Controller, does not install apparently. That's in Oct2005_xinput_x86.cab.

Edited by eidenk, 18 December 2005 - 09:27 AM.

Big Monstro

Big Monstro

• 12 posts
  • Joined 02-October 05
I've one question yet :
Will the software update for web folders (http://support.micro...kb;en-us;892211) be integrated on these next SP ? This update is compatible with Windows 98 SE

Petr

Petr

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Joined 15-April 05

I've one question yet :
Will the software update for web folders (http://support.micro...kb;en-us;892211) be integrated on these next SP ? This update is compatible with Windows 98 SE

Why do you think that it is not included? It is here since sesp20rc1 published on February 2nd 2005.

Petr

Big Monstro

Big Monstro

• 12 posts
  • Joined 02-October 05

Why do you think that it is not included?

I believe that that update isn't included because there aren't Fp4autl.dll and Fp4awec.dll in the cabinet files of SP.

Petr

Petr

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Joined 15-April 05

Why do you think that it is not included?

I believe that that update isn't included because there aren't Fp4autl.dll and Fp4awec.dll in the cabinet files of SP.

OK, KB892211 is included - but not all files.

SE SP 2.1a contains the following files from KB892211:

Msdaipp.dll 11.0.6715.15 (Microsoft Data Access Component Internet Publishing Provider)
Msdapml.dll 11.0.5510.0 (SharePoint Portal Server executable)

SE SP 2.1a does not contain the following files from KB892211:
Fp4autl.dll 4.0.2.7523 (Microsoft FrontPage Utility DLL)
Fp4awec.dll 4.0.2.4715 (Microsoft FrontPage Client Library)
Fpext.msg

Msonsext.dll 11.0.6715.15 (Microsoft Web Folders)
Nsextint.dll 11.0.5510.0 (SharePoint Portal Server)
Pkmws.dll 11.0.5510.0 (SharePoint Portal Server Windows API Stub Library)

Windows 98 SE contains the following versions:
Msdaipp.dll 8.102.1403.0 (Microsoft Data Access Component Internet Publishing Provider)
Msdapml.dll 8.102.1403.0 (Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Internet Publishing)
Fp4autl.dll 4.0.2.2619
Fp4awec.dll 4.0.2.2611
Fpext.msg is present
Msonsext.dll 9.0.2612 (Microsoft Office Name Space Extension)
Nsextint.dll is not present
Pkmws.dll is not present

I'm not sure now why just part of KB892211 update was included in the SESP.

Petr

pykor

pykor

• 20 posts
  • Joined 12-May 05
My friend has a PC that I setup using my "Win98 Upgrade CD" which includes:
  • DirectX 9.0c
  • MDAC 2.81
  • Win 98 SE SP 2.1a :thumbup
  • etc., etc., etc.
A game the kids wanted to try out called:
Sudoku by Pappocom
  • Required files:
  • Microsoft Windows Installer 2.0
  • Microsoft MDAC 2.8 (if you do not already have 2.6 or better)
  • Microsoft XML 4.0 Service Pack 2
  • Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Runtime Service Pack 6
Apparently, the only thing missing was MS XML 4.0 SP2 :huh:

Was wondering if that will be included in a future release or should I add it to my own upgrade CD.

The game was smart enough to not only figure out which components were needed, but download them also. Just would prefer everything be included for easy "load-and-go" especially on dial-up computers.

bristols

bristols

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Joined 24-September 05
Just to let everyone here know, an MSFN member (bobthenob) has kindly rendered a couple of logos for the Unofficial Service Pack, should anyone wish to use them:

http://www.msfn.org/...opic=63215&st=0

If he has the time, he might provide you with your own customised version!

http://www.members.a...logo/win984.png
http://www.members.a...logo/win983.png

These versions are rendered in Franklin Gothic (which I believe is the correct font for the Windows logo).

I asked for the particular wording on these logos. Gape, Petr or anyone else concerned, if you would like to correct or change it in any way, let me or bobthenob know (and hopefully he will have the time to make the changes).

Petr, if you like the logos, I'm sure bobthenob won't mind doing a "98 Gold"/"98 Final Edition" version. Sorry for not asking for this originally.

Edited by bristols, 26 December 2005 - 11:45 AM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Wow, good! :thumbup

PsycoUnc

PsycoUnc

• PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05
? mytempdir no longer hosting?

"The file was removed.
Reason: Hosting period expired."

?

John O

John O

Junior

• Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Joined 28-January 05
I have the 2.0 BETA 3 service pack. I assume it would be a simple task to upgrade to this new version? I am not really a computer person, so I hope you don't mind me asking.
Thanks, John

Gape

Gape

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Joined 01-September 04

I have the 2.0 BETA 3 service pack. I assume it would be a simple task to upgrade to this new version? I am not really a computer person, so I hope you don't mind me asking.
Thanks, John

Simply install the current version over the BETA 3. Don't forget the close all open programs.

John O

John O

Junior

• Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Joined 28-January 05
Would it better if I installed the 2.1a over what I have with the PC in the safe mode?
Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users