Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

98 SE SP 3.32

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
2360 replies to this topic

wizardofwindows

wizardofwindows

Wizard of Windows

• PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Joined 17-June 05
:hello: safemode not neccessary just run 98se then click on sp2.1 exe and sit back and prepare to be amazed.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

John O

John O

Junior

• Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Joined 28-January 05
I turned off the Spy Sweeper and AVG and installed the SP2.1a and there was no apparent problem.
There was a portion of the install where I was asked what to install in a series of boxes to check off. There were two already checked, so I just picked them and ran the install.

Graz

Graz
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 03-January 06
It's a great update, and thanks to the authors for doing it. I've noticed a leap in performance when opening programs and much less errors. I'm sticking with 98SE, even when I get a new computer - I really do not like XP! (the 'updated' find files, no msdos, speed, newbie style interface and poor security all put me off!)

Now, there are a few issues that I've noticed ever since installing the SP, neither of which are that serious but all the same a little annoying:

I can't restart the computer now without it hanging on the "Shutting down" screen. It's only with restarting - shutting down works fine and so does hot restarting - but a normal restart completely hangs the computer on that screen. Any advice on this?

For some reason, also, I've been having problems with Media Player. Sometimes, part through a song the sound just stops and I have to stop and play it again to get it going. Also, once or twice, the sound cuts out and all other sounds refuse to play, forcing me to restart the PC. I think this is just with WMP, though, as I have Classic Media Player which seems fine, so I'll try reinstalling WMP and telling you what happens.

Any ideas on the first point? :} Any help would be appriciated, thanks!

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 857 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06
Gape, I've been using your Service Pack for 98SE for the last several versions, now 2.1a, and thank you so much for producing it! :)
Just one minor query.
I've noticed that since installing the Service Pack, the "General" tab on the "My Computer" properties no longer shows any detail about my machine's processor.
Is this due to a problem in the replacement shell dlls?
Thanks, and Happy New Year!
Dave.

Dual boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a and Windows XP Professional SP3.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

the_guy

the_guy

Creator of the Windows ME Service Pack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Joined 15-July 05
This is a problem with sysdm.cpl 4.10.2224. It fixes the negative value bug, but it also prevents the processor information from showing. Petr put up a modified version of this file a little while ago, not sure where, but I have a copy of it. I will post it if the original cannot be found.

the_guy
Creator of the Windows ME Service Pack.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 857 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06
Thanks for the quick reply! :thumbup
That's interesting, I wasn't aware of a "negative value" bug.
Was this in the amount of RAM display?

My General tab, as well as missing the processor information, also shows only 1021MB of RAM, when I have 1023MB. It shows this correctly in Safe Mode.
I cannot find any explanation for the missing 2MB, so maybe this is another issue caused by a problem in that file version.

If you can find the corrected version so I can try it that would be excellent.
Thanks again.
Dave.

Edited by Dave-H, 05 January 2006 - 03:37 AM.

Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

the_guy

the_guy

Creator of the Windows ME Service Pack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Joined 15-July 05
Petr has the patched file hosted on his site. It is a .zip so you need an unzipping tool to get it.

the link is:http://www.winpack.o...tr/98/sysdm.zip.

the_guy
Creator of the Windows ME Service Pack.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 857 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06
Thank you so much! :D

That has restored by processor type display, but not my apparent missing 2MB of RAM!

I'm amazed MS issued a version of the file with such an obvious bug in it..........

BTW, what happened to version 2223, and did it have the bug too?

Cheers,
Dave.

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04
Dave-H,

you mean version 4.10.2223 of sysdm.cpl file. it was never released because of an unforseen problem only Microsoft knows (dont ask what the type of problem was and dont ask why 2223 of sysdm.cpl file wasnt released).

the "negative value" bug is the value of virtual memory hard disk space in the Virtual Memory dialog box. to access the Virtual Memory box, open the System control panel app, click on the Performance tab and click on the Virtual Memory button. that is where the "negative value" bug would occur if you have 32Gb+ or more free HD space.

see MS kb article 272620 on the "negative value" problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272620

Petr has the patched file hosted on his site. It is a .zip so you need an unzipping tool to get it.

the link is:http://www.winpack.o...tr/98/sysdm.zip.

the_guy

the sysdm.cpl file in the .zip file is version 4.10.2222!

Edited by erpdude8, 04 January 2006 - 07:07 PM.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 857 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

...you mean version 4.10.2223 of sysdm.cpl file. it was never released because of an unforseen problem only Microsoft knows (dont ask what the type of problem was and dont ask why 2223 of sysdm.cpl file wasnt released).

the sysdm.cpl file in the .zip file is version 4.10.2222!

Indeed, and the version in the Service Pack is 2224.
That's why I wondered what had happened to 2223!
Thanks for the information.

I only have 20GB of space left on my C: drive where the swapfile is set to be located, so am not troubled by the negative value bug if it's still there.
I will stick with version 2222.

Thanks all! :thumbup

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,141 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04
it looks like version 4.10.2224 of the sysdm.cpl file for win98se was not modified correctly unlike version 4.90.3001 of sysdm.cpl for winme.

anyone want to try to make an unofficial sysdm.cpl 4.10.2225 fix for 98se that would contain the fix from build 2224 but will also display the cpu info. just asking.

Dave-H, the missing 2Mb of RAM problem is due to the integrated video [VGA] feature on the motherboard sharing some memory with the RAM chips. I also have that problem on my ME system and it is NOT a big deal; the system properties of my WinME machine show 255 Mb of RAM when it really has 256 megs. The built-in Intel 810 video graphics feature on my computer used some portion of the system memory for video. This inaccuracy does NOT cause major problems on anything as my ME computer runs perfectly fine. It is even like that on most new computers where video RAM is shared with some system RAM like with my brother's XP computer where I can specify in BIOS setup how much shared system RAM can be used (or shared) for video RAM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gape,

can you add an "un-installation prompt" in the next release of the 98se service pack? I mean a dialog box asking whether or not to go on with the uninstallation of the pack. I know when I double-click on the Unofficial 98se service pack entry in Add/Remove programs, it performs an immediate uninstall. And when I double-click on the XP service pack 2 entry from Add/Remove programs on my brother's XP computer, I get a dialog box asking me whether to uninstall xp sp2 or not.

also you might want to add the Update Information Tool files qfecheck.exe and qfecheck.hlp in the 98se sercice pack. Those two files were included in the_guy's ME service pack.

Edited by erpdude8, 06 January 2006 - 10:08 AM.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 857 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

Dave-H, the missing 2Mb of RAM problem is due to the integrated video [VGA] feature on the motherboard sharing some memory with the RAM chips. I also have that problem on my ME system and it is NOT a big deal; the system properties of my WinME machine show 255 Mb of RAM when it really has 256 megs. The built-in Intel 810 video graphics feature on my computer used some portion of the system memory for video. This inaccuracy does NOT cause major problems on anything as my ME computer runs perfectly fine. It is even like that on most new computers where video RAM is shared with some system RAM like with my brother's XP computer where I can specify in BIOS setup how much shared system RAM can be used (or shared) for video RAM.

Thanks again erpdude!
I do have a setting in my bios for "AGP Aperture Size".
Apparently according to my motherboard manufacturer (Supermicro) it sets aside system memory for the graphics card to use for textures. I used to have it on maximum (256MB), but apparently you might as well leave it at the default (64MB) if your graphics card has 128MB or more of on-board memory, as setting it higher will make no difference to the graphics performance. As my card has 128MB I set it back to 64MB.
I don't think this explains my missing 2MB, but I'm sure you're right that it is the graphics card stealing it, which is why it doesn't show as missing in Safe Mode when the drivers aren't loaded.
Windows 2000 does show the correct amount, but that's completely different of course! :)

FixitMad

FixitMad

• 26 posts
  • Joined 18-February 05
The DirectX 9.0c Redistributable for Software Developers - Multilingual DOES work with Windows 98se users. The Link: lhttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9226A611-62FE-4F61-ABA1-914185249413&displaylang=en
still shows Windows 98se as a valid system. Not sure why M$ removed Windows 98 under the main DirectX 9.0 Redistributable file because M$ is still supportiung Windows 98 users until later this year...

Great job Gape with 2.1a!
Thanks,

FixitMad

"You know you are lost when you see the Red X"

Petr

Petr

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Joined 15-April 05

it looks like version 4.10.2224 of the sysdm.cpl file for win98se was not modified correctly unlike version 4.90.3001 of sysdm.cpl for winme.

anyone want to try to make an unofficial sysdm.cpl 4.10.2225 fix for 98se that would contain the fix from build 2224 but will also display the cpu info. just asking.

Just short look into the file shows that all names of CPUs were removed from 4.10.2224 version (and not form 4.90.3001 version) so it would be probably impossible to make simple patch.

So there are two possibilities:
1. To use 4.10.2224 without CPU info
2. To use 4.10.2222 with patched string 205 from %d to %lu in stringtable resource 13.

I prefer the first one.

The CPU detection is limited to old CPU models anyway.

If I want to know the CPU, it is much better to use any freeware tool like CPU-Z. It will give me much more information.

Petr

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 857 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06
It sounds as if MS deliberately remove the ability to display the processor information from version 4.10.2224, if the processor names were all removed.
That can't have happened by accident!
I wonder why they did that..........

Anyway, I'll carry on using the version of 4.10.2222 that I've now got, thanks to everyone here! :thumbup

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,141 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04

It sounds as if MS deliberately remove the ability to display the processor information from version 4.10.2224, if the processor names were all removed.
That can't have happened by accident!
I wonder why they did that..........

Anyway, I'll carry on using the version of 4.10.2222 that I've now got, thanks to everyone here! :thumbup

It does NOT matter why MS removed the cpu identification feature in build 2224 of of sysdm.cpl. who cares anyway? I agree with Petr in using a utility to identify CPU info since the 98se versions of sysdm.cpl [builds 2222, 2223 or 2224] cant properly identify new types of CPUs like Pentium 4s or Pentium M [M for mobile cpus]. I use Microsoft's System Information tool [msinfo32.exe] to view the kind of processor I have on my machines.

Thanks again erpdude!
I do have a setting in my bios for "AGP Aperture Size".
Apparently according to my motherboard manufacturer (Supermicro) it sets aside system memory for the graphics card to use for textures. I used to have it on maximum (256MB), but apparently you might as well leave it at the default (64MB) if your graphics card has 128MB or more of on-board memory, as setting it higher will make no difference to the graphics performance. As my card has 128MB I set it back to 64MB.
I don't think this explains my missing 2MB, but I'm sure you're right that it is the graphics card stealing it, which is why it doesn't show as missing in Safe Mode when the drivers aren't loaded.
Windows 2000 does show the correct amount, but that's completely different of course! :)

It wasnt the AGP Aperture Size that you have to adjust unless you had used a large value. Try looking for the Shared Video Memory or the System Share Memory Size option in the BIOS and making changes to that.

Also try updating your video drivers. older drivers might have also caused the missing 2Mb RAM problem. Win2000/XP systems may not have the problem because they use a different type of video drivers.

Edited by erpdude8, 09 January 2006 - 05:33 PM.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 857 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

It wasnt the AGP Aperture Size that you have to adjust unless you had used a large value. Try looking for the Shared Video Memory or the System Share Memory Size option in the BIOS and making changes to that.

I have no such setting available in my BIOS. :no:

RainyShadow

RainyShadow

• PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Joined 30-December 05

I have no such setting available in my BIOS. :no:

Try looking for some jumpers or DIP switches on the mobo with such a function (very unlikely but...)

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 857 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

Try looking for some jumpers or DIP switches on the mobo with such a function (very unlikely but...)

I haven't actually opened the box up to look, but there are no such jumpers or switches mentioned in the motherboard manual............ :no:

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,141 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04

I haven't actually opened the box up to look, but there are no such jumpers or switches mentioned in the motherboard manual............ :no:

I dont think it's a hardware problem at all. As I said before try updating your video drivers to resolve the missing 2Mb RAM problem. if the updated drivers dont fix the missing memory prob, then dont worry about it.

note to Gape. The unofficial U891711 patch has been revised on 1-5-2006. It's almost the same as the original U891711 patch but a memory problem has been fixed. this revised one should be included in the next release of the 98se service pack.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 857 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06
Thanks erpdude.
I don't think I'm going to worry about it.
Updating my ATI video driver I know will cause more problems than it solves!

I'm using the latest version that I found which doesn't have the very annoying bug that the display crashes when switching between full screen DOS and Windows.
When that happens I have no choice but to re-boot. Very annoying.

I'll stop worrying about the missing 2MB, as the system seems to work perfectly well anyway.
I only wondered if anyone knew a definite cause with an easy fix!
Few computer problems come into that category I know!
Cheers, Dave. :)

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,141 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04

Thanks erpdude.
I don't think I'm going to worry about it.
Updating my ATI video driver I know will cause more problems than it solves!

I'm using the latest version that I found which doesn't have the very annoying bug that the display crashes when switching between full screen DOS and Windows.
When that happens I have no choice but to re-boot. Very annoying.

I'll stop worrying about the missing 2MB, as the system seems to work perfectly well anyway.
I only wondered if anyone knew a definite cause with an easy fix!
Few computer problems come into that category I know!
Cheers, Dave. :)

the missing 2mb ram problem is barely insignificant. I also booted my WinME machine into safe mode & WinME reported the full 256Mb of memory. that's because in Safe mode, WinME doesnt load my usual Intel 810 video drivers, it loads the Standard VGA driver. when I rebooted to normal mode, WinME reports 255Mb of RAM and I am using the latest Intel 810 video drivers available. this missing ram doesnt bother me as my ME system runs well and there is NO definite fix for it.

I like to see the QFECheck.exe and QFECheck.hlp files added onto Gape's 98se service pack; both of those files are included in the_guy's ME service pack.

MDGx

MDGx

98SE2ME + 98MP10

• Super Moderator
  • 2,678 posts
  • Joined 22-November 04
Have you asked ATI support why this happens?
They also have a decent KB:
https://support.ati.com/

Maybe their drivers need those extra 2 MB of memory for some specific [?] video controller functions...

This can [probably] be tested also under Windows ME, 2000, XP or 2003.

Hope this helps.

RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • Joined 13-April 05

It's great that SP provides two great PowerToys: CommandPromptHere and TweakUI.

There is one more great tool from the past that I would love to see in SP (optional).
It is WinTop (aka Windows Process Watcher, aka top for windows). It is a part of this package:
http://www.microsoft...Toy/Default.asp

I check that it works and it is a perfect tool to actually see what is actually running.

On the site you gave, it says specifically *not* to use that PowerToy with Win98. Have you had any problems using it with 98SE? Just wondering why they say not to....

ivman

It's the wrong one. That page is for Windows 95 only. Sorry.
Asus P5QL Pro, Core 2 Duo E4500, eVGA GeForce 9500 GT with XP Pro x64 Edition -> Works great with Asus P5QL Pro!

appp

appp

• 16 posts
  • Joined 18-March 05

I check that it works and it is a perfect tool to actually see what is actually running.

On the site you gave, it says specifically *not* to use that PowerToy with Win98. Have you had any problems using it with 98SE? Just wondering why they say not to....

ivman

It's the wrong one. That page is for Windows 95 only. Sorry.

Don't get me wrong. I am not for forcing good tools on chickens who are afraid of trying it.
But read my lips for once: WINTOP WORKS FOR ME ON WINDOWS 98SE.
Sorry, I don't care that the page says win95 only.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users