Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

98 SE SP 3.32

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
2359 replies to this topic

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

you could also include the modified VCACHE.VXD v4.10.0.2223 file dated 9/20/2012 from the Vcache fix attempt forum thread into the next release of your SP as QFECheck and ME explorer shell from 98SE2ME will correctly identify the version number as build 2223.

Thanks, I have already added the file in the last release.

I can only say that in the past I did try to replace Win2k's DBGHELP.DLL with the one from XP SP3. The system became unstable (Explorer was restarted randomly). Everything was fixed after restoring the original version.

Have you tried XPSP1 +XPSP2 versions? You can always try my method, starting from the highest versions, working your way backwards. I know it might be a little time consuming but it works.

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,510 posts

Have you tried XPSP1 +XPSP2 versions? You can always try my method, starting from the highest versions, working your way backwards. I know it might be a little time consuming but it works.

No and I don't really plan to do it because at the moment test versions of UURollup-v11 use:

DBGENG.DLL 6.2.9200.16384
DBGHELP.DLL 6.2.9200.16384
I took them from BWC kernel and I'm not really sure where he had taken them from. The file versions themselves match the ones included in Windows 8 RTM but the dependencies are different, so either they come from somewhere else or BWC has modified them. Anyway, these files require the unofficial kernel to work so I didn't mention them earlier.
post-47483-1123010975.png
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
@ tomasz86

Do you have a complete list of files from MDAC 2.82 (2.8 SP2) from Win2003?

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,510 posts
This is MDAC.INF from Windows 2003 Server SP2:

Attached File  mdac.inf   11.05KB   9 downloads

Edit: BTW, you're very bad!<_< I was going to work on MDAC 2.82 much later in the future but you've just made me check and analyse the files right now :angry: :P

Edited by tomasz86, 12 October 2012 - 01:33 PM.

Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

This is MDAC.INF from Windows 2003 Server SP2:

Attached File  mdac.inf   11.05KB   9 downloads

Edit: BTW, you're very bad!<_< I was going to work on MDAC 2.82 much later in the future but you've just made me check and analyse the files right now :angry: :P

I'll give this a test run after I release 3.9 :w00t: Thanks :thumbup

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 12 October 2012 - 01:38 PM.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,510 posts

I'll give this a test run after I release 3.9 :w00t: Thanks :thumbup

You're welcome :)

All of the DLL files are included in W2k3 SP2, and these files:

sqlsoldb.chm
oledbvbs.inc
oledbjvs.inc
MDACRdMe.htm
handsafe.reg
handler.reg
you need to copy from a Win2k3 CD as they haven't changed since its release (thus aren't included in any SP).

Edit: Also some updated files in http://support.micro...com/kb/2698365.

Edited by tomasz86, 12 October 2012 - 01:55 PM.

acus

acus

• 45 posts
If it can help, Blackwingcat has released Japanese version of MDAC 2.8 SP2:
http://translate.goo...es/1108488.html

Regards

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,510 posts

If it can help, Blackwingcat has released Japanese version of MDAC 2.8 SP2:
http://translate.goo...es/1108488.html

Thanks for this.

It seems that adding MDAC 2.82 won't be that easy. It will require a lot of repacking and creating a new installer for it.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

It seems that adding MDAC 2.82 won't be that easy. It will require a lot of repacking and creating a new installer for it.

MDAC 2.8 SP2 does NOT work on Win98. We will have to stick with MDAC 2.8 SP1. I did find some updates that did install and register properly.
DBGHELP.DLL 6.8.0004.0 Windows Debugging Tools
JSCRIPT.DLL 5.6.0.8850 Windows Server 2003 SP2
MSADCO.DLL 2.81.3014.0 Windows XP SP3
MSADO15.DLL 2.81.3014.0 Windows XP SP3
MSADO20.TLB 2.81.3014.0 Windows XP SP3
MSADO21.TLB 2.81.3014.0 Windows XP SP3
MSADO25.TLB 2.81.3014.0 Windows XP SP3 
MSADO26.TLB 2.81.3014.0 Windows XP SP3
MSADO27.TLB 2.81.3014.0 Windows XP SP3
MSADO28.TLB 2.81.3014.0 Windows XP SP3
MSADOMD.DLL 2.81.3014.0 Windows XP SP3
MSADOR15.DLL 2.81.3014.0 Windows XP SP3
MSADOX.DLL 2.81.3014.0 Windows XP SP3
MSJRO.DLL 2.81.3014.0 Windows XP SP3
ODBC32.DLL 3.525.1145.0 Windows 2000 SP4
ODBCBCP.DLL 2000.85.3009.0 Windows XP SP3
SQLOLEDB.DLL 2000.85.3006.0 Windows XP SP3
SQLSRV32.DLL 2000.85.3009.0 Windows XP SP3
VBSCRIPT.DLL 5.6.0.8850 Windows Server 2003 SP2
HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders","NegotiatePackages",0x0,"NTLM"
HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA","LMCompatibility",0x10001,03,00,00,00

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
I discovered that the graphics filters update installs an older version of MS-Paint.
Only difference is that color picker tool does not swich back to previous tool upon picking a color, and it is a big annoyance for a seasoned user.
I keep a vanilla MS-Paint exe in cases like this. Putting vanilla back does not seem to break anything and it gives the functionality of the tool back.
Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

I discovered that the graphics filters update installs an older version of MS-Paint.
Only difference is that color picker tool does not swich back to previous tool upon picking a color, and it is a big annoyance for a seasoned user.
I keep a vanilla MS-Paint exe in cases like this. Putting vanilla back does not seem to break anything and it gives the functionality of the tool back.

Thank you for your feedback. I haven't been able to reproduce your issue using the older paint program. All features are working as they should.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
I'm going to assume 3.8 is pretty stable. We haven't any major nor minor issuses regarding the latest release. We have done well. I might release 3.9 this weekend. Thanks guys :thumbup :yes: :lol: :w00t:

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

ElementalChaos

ElementalChaos
  • 4 posts
How do I remove this pack? It's made my computer extremely laggy. If it matters, unfortunately my computer cannot boot from CDs.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

How do I remove this pack? It's made my computer extremely laggy. If it matters, unfortunately my computer cannot boot from CDs.

What all did you install? What version did you use? What are your computer specs. What software did you have installed before SP3.x?

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

ElementalChaos

ElementalChaos
  • 4 posts

What all did you install? What version did you use? What are your computer specs. What software did you have installed before SP3.x?

I used 3.8.
I installed the base additions and some other things.
My computer specs are NOT sufficent, I just learned. I only have 40MB of Ram. But that's not an issue, I just want it to go back to how it was. My parents won't let me buy a floppy drive for it.

ElementalChaos

ElementalChaos
  • 4 posts
Can someone just tell me if there's a way to uninstall that doesn't involve backups or booting from CD or floppies?

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

Can someone just tell me if there's a way to uninstall that doesn't involve backups or booting from CD or floppies?

Sorry, but no. The uninstall feature was removed by the original creator. This is why its stated in the readme to backup. This is why people should read before continuing. Im sorry for your troubles.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

ElementalChaos

ElementalChaos
  • 4 posts

Sorry, but no. The uninstall feature was removed by the original creator. This is why its stated in the readme to backup. This is why people should read before continuing. Im sorry for your troubles.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH pls tel me dere is way ;c ;c ;c

Edited by ElementalChaos, 18 May 2013 - 05:01 PM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
3.9 Main Updates option will require at least a 128 mb of ram. This will prevent users in the future who decides they don't want to read or follow instructions. I can always set it higher but 128 is ok for now. If anyone uses an older version of 3.x, there is no need for a clean install. All 3.x versions are compatible with each other.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

prowler

prowler

• 39 posts

If anyone uses an older version of 3.x, there is no need for a clean install. All 3.x versions are compatible with each other.

Thanks. Useful information :thumbup :thumbup

3.9 Main Updates option will require at least a 128 mb of ram.

Why so much? :o

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

3.9 Main Updates option will require at least a 128 mb of ram.

Why so much? :o

I don't want another issue like this, when people don't follow instructions :ph34r:

I used 3.8.
I installed the base additions and some other things.
My computer specs are NOT sufficent, I just learned. I only have 40MB of Ram. But that's not an issue, I just want it to go back to how it was. My parents won't let me buy a floppy drive for it.

Im crying right now PLEASE TELL ME THERES A WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,752 posts

Im crying right now PLEASE TELL ME THERES A WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAYBE you should have read the instructions....

Aaaaaaand I QUOTE:

Before installing U98SESP3.EXE make sure that:
1/ You have the original w98SE installation disc.
It will change core system files. It means that if something goes wrong you must be prepared to reinstall windows from the beginning.
Sometimes installing U98SESP3.EXE after a fresh install is working normaly while it failed on an old install.
2/ You made a back up of all important datas.
It's extremely unlikely that an error forces you to reinstall windows and eventualy to reformat thus to erase your hard drive.
But for the sake of safety, please do it!
3/ You made a back up of your system files
A copy of the "windows" and "Program Files" directories, at least the "windows" directory, preferably on a second physical hard drive or on CD or DVD or an external drive.
This is usefull to revert back to a prior w98se install which was already updated and functioning well.
Restoring windows 98 can be done simply be recopying all the system files back to their original location, in dos mode. The easiest way is to use a second physical (not a partition) and internal (not USB) hard drive.
It's aslo a good idea to make sure a copy of the registry has been automaticaly preserved in the system files you backed up and to know how to restore the registry in dos: boot in DOS, then type SCANREG /RESTORE.
4/ You have time and patience to read all the instructions
If you are somebody who will select all options no matter what they are or who will click "OK" instead of "Cancel" on any dialog box without knowing what was the question about, then you are sure to run into trouble.
Don't do it in a rush. If words are written on the screen it must be important. Please read them.
5/ You have read the disclaimer below.

Disclaimer:

The author and owner of this website as well as the owner of the server hosting this website and all the persons having been involved in the creation or the distribution of the files, updates and executables present on this website will not be responsible for any material damage, loss of hardware performance or functionality, alteration or loss of datas, theft of datas, exposure of classified documents, loss of privacy, penalty, material or financial depreciation or loss or liability or any other loss or damage or liability of any kind caused by the use or inability to use these files, updates or executables.

They are delivered to You for free, as is and without any warranty attached beyond those already described in the agreements between You and their authors or vendors if any. You understand that most of them doesn't come with any warranty at all and that there is no garantee that they will work on your computer as advertised.
Moreover you agree to use each of them with respect to the user agreement provided by their author if any.

Use at you own risk.

More specificaly, You understand that the author and the other persons who participate in its creation, promote, advice to use, or distribute the Unofficial Windows 98SE service pack (U98SESP3) known as U98SESP3 or as U98SESP3.EXE or any other denomination used for translated versions or further updated versions, as well as Microsoft Corporation or any other party directly or indirectly concerned will not be liable for any damage, loss of software or hardware functionality or performance, loss of datas, loss of time, loss of money or any loss or liability of any kind caused by the use or inability to use U98SESP3.

You understand that U98SESP3 is not a product of Microsoft Corporation and not a product of a commercial company, that's it's developed and distributed as is, benevolently, unofficialy (althought legaly) and freely without any guarantee attached, without any promise of support, that there is no guarantee whatsoever that it will work as advertised and that you use it at your own risk and in full consciouseness of the risks attached to an unofficial service pack for an operating system.

Before installing U98SESP3 You are supposed to have made all the necessary steps to saveguard your datas and be able to reinstall an operating system as described in, but no exclusively the important notice above and to have the technical knowledge and ability to fix computer related problems in the case U98SESP3 will prevent your computer to work properly.
These necessary steps consist in, but no exclusively:
- Having the original w98SE installation disc
- Makiing a back up of all important datas
- Making a back up of the system files
- Having a back up of the registry

Before, during and after the installation you are supposed to read CAREFULY all the instructions you get through dialog box messages, dos prompt messages or otherwise.
You are also supposed to understand these instructions and have the appropriate knowledge to act accordingly and to select the appropriate options if any.

U98SESP3 and all other versions or translations of it are distributed for free, without any profit for the author(s) and for the distributors.
U98SESP3 cannot be distributed in exchange for money or any other liability.
You have the right to distribute U98SESP3 to the legaly binding conditions that you do not charge any amount of money or make any profit directly or indirectly, that you distribute an unmodified version and always the latest version available on this website or from the author's website if any.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian, 19 October 2012 - 04:02 AM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

MAYBE you should have read the instructions....

Thanks Kel :thumbup
I don't think some will ever get it. The first thing people do is skip over the instructions and then want to complain when something goes wrong. Its not like I change the instructions every update. One, only has to read them once. And, if something needs specifying, I will make sure its done. I prefer people like you, dencorso, Foxbat, jaclaz and others to mediate for me. Sometimes I just can't handle it. I have gotten better though. Thanks guys.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Foxbat

Foxbat

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
Maybe we can stress this part a little more so even if everything else is ignored, just reading only the words in red will hopefully reduce the most frequently reoccurring problem.

Before installing the Unofficial Windows 98SE service pack, please

BACKUP YOUR DATA.

This is not a suggestion.

THIS IS MANDATORY.

If you have not backed up and verified your data,

DO NOT PROCEED UNTIL YOU
BACKUP YOUR DATA.

But, somehow, somewhere, someone will still ignore even this simple message.

Edited for better fit.

Edited by Foxbat, 19 October 2012 - 08:29 PM.

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Super Moderator
  • 5,788 posts

Donator

BACKUP YOUR DATA.

This is not a suggestion.

THIS IS MANDATORY.

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users