Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

98 SE SP 3.32

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
2359 replies to this topic

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Joined 17-September 08
I experienced the BSOD too if I hooked my USB 2.0 hub and then removed it after I had used some flash sticks (that worked perfectly). I only needed one button press to get out of it and then refresh desktop as everything was black.
This happened on a VIA VT6212L USB 2.0 controller.
Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

I experienced the BSOD too if I hooked my USB 2.0 hub and then removed it after I had used some flash sticks (that worked perfectly). I only needed one button press to get out of it and then refresh desktop as everything was black.
This happened on a VIA VT6212L USB 2.0 controller.

Thanks, can you try this version now? :hello: USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.5605

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

TmEE

TmEE

• PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Joined 17-September 08
I just tested this file and it still gave the BSOD.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
This is what we have so far

TmEE - VIA VT6212L
Drivers not working - USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.5605, USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891

Drugwash - VIA VT6202
Drivers working - USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891

dencorso - Generic USB Hub
Drivers working - USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.5605
Drivers not working - USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891

I don't think its fair to downgrade the file to a lower version and deprive others of the newest and stable code, especially when they have not experience any problems. I also think its unfair to inconvenience users who are not able to benefit from the lastest version. That would mean everytime a new update is release, users with VIA chipsets will have to manually replace the file, which will become an annoyance. I'm hoping we can find a universal solution that suits everyone needs. As I said earlier and other may feel the same way, I prefer not to use VIA anything, if I don't have anything VIA related :huh:

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
Hey PROBLEMCHYLD,

As requested, here is the modified LOGO.

http://www.mediafire...crm8gkq04ylr8ab

or

http://www.mediafire...m5r46960u2fd39h

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt, 25 November 2012 - 10:28 PM.

Posted Image

MiKl

MiKl

• PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Joined 01-December 11
On saturday SeaMonkey crashed with an error message relating to : ddeml.dll
I have version 4.10.1998 dated 5.5.1999 running in my Win98SE but there is a version from 2001 in my XP !
So far I did not had the time to test it but I thought I let you know because it seem to be not in your ServicePack, PC. Maybe with a good reason though .... :angel

Seem to cause BOSD ... dammit, Janet

Edited by MiKl, 26 November 2012 - 12:26 PM.

North of Watford

North of Watford

Junior

• Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 12-October 07
Before we all conclude that the VIA USB problem has been resolved, I may have a problem.

This is not yet definitive, proven or reproducible, I need to do a lot more work on it for reasons that will become obvious. I recently updated one of my Win98 boxes (the one with a VIA chipset for everything) using SP3.10 . I was interrupted in the course of the job, and am not certain that I did it correctly.

I then used the box without any difficulty until yesterday when I plugged in a USB stick for the first time. Immediate BSOD! Cleared with one click of the space bar, and continued to check the stick for contents, including opening a couple of files. Then I went to remove the stick using the remove media button in the tray. Another immediate BSOD that flickered on pressing the space bar, but looped back to the same location. Resolved by a power off.

I am pretty sure that I hadn't done something right earlier. Request: is there a consolidated list of all the files and version numbers that should be on a correctly updated box; files that have been installed by the updating process?

As soon as I find out what was the cause, I'll be right back to 'fess up, so that others can avoid the trap.

Jeff

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

Before we all conclude that the VIA USB problem has been resolved, I may have a problem.

This is not yet definitive, proven or reproducible, I need to do a lot more work on it for reasons that will become obvious. I recently updated one of my Win98 boxes (the one with a VIA chipset for everything) using SP3.10 . I was interrupted in the course of the job, and am not certain that I did it correctly.

I then used the box without any difficulty until yesterday when I plugged in a USB stick for the first time. Immediate BSOD! Cleared with one click of the space bar, and continued to check the stick for contents, including opening a couple of files. Then I went to remove the stick using the remove media button in the tray. Another immediate BSOD that flickered on pressing the space bar, but looped back to the same location. Resolved by a power off.

I am pretty sure that I hadn't done something right earlier. Request: is there a consolidated list of all the files and version numbers that should be on a correctly updated box; files that have been installed by the updating process?

As soon as I find out what was the cause, I'll be right back to 'fess up, so that others can avoid the trap.

Jeff

Thank you for testing. We are working on a universal solution right now. Thank you for your patience, You can use USBHUB20.SYS 4.90.3000.11 for the time being.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

On saturday SeaMonkey crashed with an error message relating to : ddeml.dll
I have version 4.10.1998 dated 5.5.1999 running in my Win98SE but there is a version from 2001 in my XP !
So far I did not had the time to test it but I thought I let you know because it seem to be not in your ServicePack, PC. Maybe with a good reason though .... :angel

Seem to cause BOSD ... dammit, Janet

I really don't understand your post :} The SP doesn't install any DDEML.DLL versions. I'm really not sure what your problem is :(

Here's what SP 3.12 will have so far :w00t:

Added MANGAL.TTF Microsoft VOLT 1.2
Added TEMPSITC.TTF Plus!98 CD
Added Original start up and shut down logos with [Second Edition]

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

Resistere pro causa resistentiam.

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 814 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

Hey PROBLEMCHYLD,

As requested, here is the modified LOGO.

http://www.mediafire...crm8gkq04ylr8ab

or

http://www.mediafire...m5r46960u2fd39h

Cheers and Regards

Nice job with these logos. :thumbup
(I assume there is a Startup one as well as the Shut Down one?)

I have tried and tried to create similar ones myself, but I never could seem to get the right Font, letter height/spacing, etc etc.

Are you accepting other logo requests by any chance? :angel

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
LOL Thanks, but I'm not that good. I just took the two LOGOS that PROBLEMCHYLD already did over a year ago - LOGOS - He asked me:

I need you to take the text Windows is shutting down. from LOGO2.BMP and add it to LOGO1.BMP. Leave all colors/text format/file size the same.

So I used GIMP Portable, a free app available here - http://portableapps....s/gimp_portable - and did a cut-and-paste of the text Windows is shutting down. I exported the new image, GIMP's version of "save as", to LOGO3.BMP, and that was it. So there was no choosing the Font or letter height/spacing or anything. The background was such that the paste didn't show. (I'm lazy, so I took the easiest way out. :) ) I appreciate the kind words though. If you have a similar simple request I'd be glad to give it a shot, but no promises. I'm no larryb123456 after all. Send me a PM if you like, to not clutter up PROBLEMCHYLD's thread.

Posted Image

Edited by bphlpt, 28 November 2012 - 02:42 AM.

Posted Image

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 814 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

LOL Thanks, but I'm not that good. I just took the two LOGOS that PROBLEMCHYLD already did over a year ago - LOGOS - He asked me:

I need you to take the text Windows is shutting down. from LOGO2.BMP and add it to LOGO1.BMP. Leave all colors/text format/file size the same.

So I used GIMP Portable, a free app available here - http://portableapps....s/gimp_portable - and did a cut-and-paste of the text Windows is shutting down. I exported the new image, GIMP's version of "save as", to LOGO3.BMP, and that was it. So there was no choosing the Font or letter height/spacing or anything. The background was such that the paste didn't show. (I'm lazy, so I took the easiest way out. :) ) I appreciate the kind words though. If you have a similar simple request I'd be glad to give it a shot, but no promises. I'm no larryb123456 after all. Send me a PM if you like, to not clutter up PROBLEMCHYLD's thread.

Posted Image

Ah I see. :lol:

I was going to request a slight variation in the location of the "Second Edition" text (closer to the "Windows 98" text, similar to how the "Microsoft" text is, but maybe not right against it...) and to have the same "Second Edition" text added to the Windows 98 Plus! logo.

I don't think that can be done with copy and paste though, as it would leave a "rectangle" around the text visible in the background. :}

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
Try me. Provide all existing LOGOS you can that have the text and don't have the text and I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: I had actually first thought about cutting and pasting the "Second Edition" text from LOGO1.BMP over to LOGO2.BMP until I realized that the bottom strip was more indicative of the shutting down procedure, so your idea might well be possible.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt, 28 November 2012 - 08:25 AM.

Posted Image

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
@ bphlpt

I actually got that LOGO from MDGx site. I'm sure he would be more than happy to add the shutdown version to his logos pack. A very big thank you for taking the time to do it.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
He's more than welcome to it. With all he has done for the community it's the least I can give back. Since it's your doing that got me to do it, it's also perfectly fine with me that the submission to him come from you. :)

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
Some more great news :thumbup I was able to edit the AVI file from version 3.0 to read Service Pack 3. I thought this would be ideal because then I don't have to keep changing the version number. Here's what I did, I loaded the 3.0 AVI file in VirtualDub 1.9, save it as an animated GIF file. After that, loaded the GIF file with MSPAINT.EXE, removed the .0. Reloaded the modded GIF file back in VirtualDub 1.9 and saved it as an AVI file. I think the artwork gives it a more professional look even thought we know it not professional. If somone can be so kind and maybe replace the text Microsoft with Unofficial. I have no idea and don't want to mess with it anymore. :w00t:

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 28 November 2012 - 02:16 PM.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

TmEE

TmEE

• PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Joined 17-September 08
nifty !

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

nifty !

Thanks :w00t: Now that most bugs are fixed, I thought I would focus on polishing it up. I really want to fix that VIA bug. Besides that, no one hasn't had any problems which is great :yes: I think SP will be completely finished somewhere round 3.12 - 3.17 :o Can you guys imagine if I had stopped @ 3.0. I'm always checking for updated files, convenience, more stability etc...It will always be 3.x, even if I decide to pick it back up later. All my scripts are 3.x and icons ranging from 3.0 - 3.99 :lol: I might release 3.12 over the weekend or maybe Friday. It depends on my schedule. I have to say, it was quite a challenge, fun and a little stressful, but we pulled through.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 814 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

@PROBLEMCHYLD

You do know that the startup & shutdown logos will lose the animation in in the bottom bar if edited with Paint or a similar program? :ph34r:

You need a utility to restore the animation after the edits, such as XrX AddBar.

I can fix them for you if you've not already done this...

Edited by LoneCrusader, 28 November 2012 - 10:05 PM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

@PROBLEMCHYLD

You do know that the startup & shutdown logos will lose the animation in in the bottom bar if edited with Paint or a similar program? :ph34r:

You need a utility to restore the animation after the edits, such as XrX AddBar.

I can fix them for you if you've not already done this...

Yes, please fix them. Thank you :yes:

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 814 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

Yes, please fix them. Thank you :yes:

Here you go ;)

LOGO98SE.ZIP - 105.0 Kb

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
Thanks LoneCrusader :thumbup SP3.12 shouldn't have any bugs except for the VIA issue.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 28 November 2012 - 11:52 PM.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 814 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

Thanks LoneCrusader :thumbup SP3.12 shouldn't have any bugs except for the VIA issue.

No problem.

Yes, the VIA issue is a real PITA. If only the driver stack files had different names, then fixing the .INF's as discussed would cure it. :}

Edited by LoneCrusader, 29 November 2012 - 12:09 AM.

Hu$tle

Hu$tle

Junior

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 29-June 06

Some more great news :thumbup I was able to edit the AVI file from version 3.0 to read Service Pack 3. I thought this would be ideal because then I don't have to keep changing the version number. Here's what I did, I loaded the 3.0 AVI file in VirtualDub 1.9, save it as an animated GIF file. After that, loaded the GIF file with MSPAINT.EXE, removed the .0. Reloaded the modded GIF file back in VirtualDub 1.9 and saved it as an AVI file. I think the artwork gives it a more professional look even thought we know it not professional. If somone can be so kind and maybe replace the text Microsoft with Unofficial. I have no idea and don't want to mess with it anymore. :w00t:

This looks wonderful. I :wub: it

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

If you'll send me a link to the file you want to modify, from MS to Unofficial, I'll see what I can do. I think I have the tools to remove the existing text and the necessary fonts to replace it if I can figure out the font size to use, at least to be "good enough".

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users