Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

98 SE SP 3.32

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
2359 replies to this topic

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Yes, you are wise. And yes, you do have a temper. It's native for Leos, nothing you can do about it. Others have to understand that and learn how to deal with the fact, rather than stick a label to your forehead and walk away. But not everyone can do it so it's not gonna be peachy all the time. Thing is, time goes by either way. Shouldn't be wasted time. ;)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Yes, you are wise. And yes, you do have a temper. It's native for Leos, nothing you can do about it. Others have to understand that and learn how to deal with the fact, rather than stick a label to your forehead and walk away. But not everyone can do it so it's not gonna be peachy all the time. Thing is, time goes by either way. Shouldn't be wasted time. ;)

I have learned a lot from you. I will cherish it til the day I die. I'm hoping we will get a flawless SP. This is my goal, this is my ambition. With your help and others, I think we will make it, hopefully. Its crazy how someone can be so kind, but yet be still so vicious :ph34r: I don't mean to be. My demeanor can be a double edged sword. I have been chosen to learn the hard way :}

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
We live - we learn. I just wish (certain) people would understand and live by the saying "live and let live". That is, stop pulling 9x-related software and drivers from the Internet, let us live the way we choose. But that's just another story. ;)

Let us prepare ourselves for the holidays and we'll see what comes next. Now that the end of the world seems to have been delayed for a while... :P

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

We live - we learn. I just wish (certain) people would understand and live by the saying "live and let live". That is, stop pulling 9x-related software and drivers from the Internet, let us live the way we choose. But that's just another story. ;)

Its the same story, but told in a different way. We all still suffer :(

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Unfortunately. Long story.

OK.. Happy thoughts, happy thoughts... X-Mas coming... :)

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
Why not just move USB out of main updates to optional installs ? To me it seems to be less problematic than having 2 versions (but then again I do not know how the SP is built up so maybe its too much hassle...?)

As for my case, ATI never made drivers for the Xpress200M+IXP/SB400 platform. At some point I will extract the chipset part of the drivers and look maybe there is something that works with 98, or at least got so far to remove the exclamation or question signs from device manager.
With video I was lucky, I only had to change a device ID in Catalyst 6.2, and the ATI Control Panel supported PowerPlay feature to save battery life too.
Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
Shuffling the drivers around won't do any good because people who have certain chipsets will still have problems. Optional or not, the issue remains at hand. Thanks for the feedback.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,790 posts
Personally? Leave the USB pack out and just enhance BOTH the sp3 and usb pack.

That way You arenot keeping 2 large packs up and people can stop complaining.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
If you guys can recommend a VIA pcmcia card I'll buy one over the holidays. This will allow me to test Nec, Intel and the Via all at the same time when I get it. I think pushing the problem to the side and covering it up is not the ideal solution. I will take all suggestions into consideration.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
Merry Christmas everyone and may you be blessed with many more.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 804 posts
And to you too PROBLEMCHYLD!
:yes:
Thanks for all you've done for us.
:thumbup

Dual boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a and Windows XP Professional SP3.
Dual 3.2GHz Xeons with 4GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

billyb

billyb

• 33 posts

Merry Christmas everyone and may you be blessed with many more.

Same to you Problemchyld! The updates are so cool and I now have them on five or six of my ancient pcs. This Service Pak project is SO much better than in those days when win98 was in its first versions.

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone, here at MSFN and around the World! May we all live in peace, including - or mostly - peace of mind! :yes: :hello:

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts
I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season and 2013!

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,844 posts

Donator

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone, here at MSFN and around the World! May we all live in peace, including - or mostly - peace of mind! :yes: :hello:

Ditto! :yes:

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
@ dencorso

It's more complicated than that... USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891 now works for me, too.
The only thing I can say for sure that changed between the time when it gave me the BSODs and now is that now I use RLoew's WDMEX.VxD, instead of WDMSTUB.SYS 5.0.0.6... :unsure:
And I get the analog results using yet another "Generic USB Hub" (USB 2.0, High Speed) from Genesys Logic (VID=0x05E3; PID=0x0608).
I'll also test USBHUB.SYS 5.0.2195.7006 soon, but I bet it'll work, too... Question is, why are them working now? Posted Image
Also BTW, my machine's motherboard uses a VT8237 southbridge (part of which is a VT6212 USB controller).

If you can be so kind and do me a small favor if you have the time. I would like you to test USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891 with and without WDMSTUB.SYS/WDMEX.VXD. Neither one is needed to run USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891, but it might help me pinpoint some problems and hopefully figure out a solution. Also if you find that the lastest version of WDMSTUB.SYS might be the culprit, can you try using a older version posted in your quote below.

There are four known compilations of WDMSTUB.SYS v. 5.0.0.6, AFAIK:

1) PE TIMESTAMP Wed Jun 11 22:05:16 2003 (3EE7D1CC), 20480 KiB, MD5 69309403061DD2953D402015B6E4EFB1 is a debug build compiled from the source provided with W. Oney's Service Pack 3 to the WDM book 2nd Ed. (released June 12, 2003);
2) PE TIMESTAMP Wed Sat Mar 15 09:16:46 2003 (3E7319AE), 11520 KiB, MD5 3AA89DDB2B5FE621E0EB11F9D1FFBD39 is a release build that comes with some Honeywell drivers;
3) PE TIMESTAMP Wed Thu May 22 10:55:15 2003 (3ECCD6C3), 11520 KiB, MD5 1D7284E0F3CB98A189F0AC17C3F13337 is a release build that comes with the Garmin USB GPS drivers;
4) PE TIMESTAMP Sun Sep 24 19:05:20 2006 (45170120), 12767 KiB, MD5 9AA0AEA685F135C9D1409F8E3E5ADD10 is a release build that comes with NUSB30e.

While the first three are functionally identical, despite being clearly different compilations, with some different optimizations, the fourth is an updated version that exports one more function. It is the one in general use and it is the most up to date one that I know of, and, of course, it shouldn't be versioned 5.0.0.6...

Thanks if you do and thanks if you don't :w00t:

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Phoenix2104

Phoenix2104
  • 5 posts
I just wanted to say happy New Year and many Thanks to the people who have sacrificed their free time to work on this and other useful projects for the rest of us.

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
I got a clean windows waiting on my laptop for some testing !
Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

I got a clean windows waiting on my laptop for some testing !

I'll send you a link once I finish packaging. Thanks
GUTILS.DLL 5.2.3790.0 Vista Platform SDK
SMCIRDA.INF
SMCIRDA.SYS 4.10.1999.5
WINDIFF.CHM Vista Platform SDK
WINDIFF.EXE 6.0.6000.16384 Vista Platform SDK
I have decided to leave the USB 1.x/USB 2.0 in SP3 :} My goal is to find a solution to the problem not cover it up. If we can barely get the USB 1.x/USB 2.0 drivers working properly, then we don't stand a chance @ USB 3.0, Windows Portable Devices (WPD), Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) and whatever newer technology comes our way. I've learned that the decision I have made will not suit everyone. I've also learned that removing the drivers will also no suit everyone. There is a win - lose situation here and since the majority is not having problems, I'm in their favor. I will add notice to users with VIA controllers. What I will do is continue to try and find a solution, since I don't have any VIA devices, it going to be a while.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 03 January 2013 - 02:43 PM.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

farfigs11

farfigs11

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
I'm have been using nothing but Via 8237 chipsets. I'm not complaining just stating my experience - it not only affects USB but also COM ports and accessing other workgroup computer files on ethernet adapter. seems to create a break in the hardware communication across the board. with the network adapter- it keeps trying to access SP3 to install network files every time I change a gateway or other setting. After restoring system I did gain access to usb devices without the BSOD. Apparently restoring didn't overwrite the .inf file(s) from the service pack used to identify flash drive ect. So I'm happy with the way it is now.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

I'm have been using nothing but Via 8237 chipsets. I'm not complaining just stating my experience - it not only affects USB but also COM ports and accessing other workgroup computer files on ethernet adapter. seems to create a break in the hardware communication across the board. with the network adapter- it keeps trying to access SP3 to install network files every time I change a gateway or other setting. After restoring system I did gain access to usb devices without the BSOD. Apparently restoring didn't overwrite the .inf file(s) from the service pack used to identify flash drive ect. So I'm happy with the way it is now.

The USB drivers also conflicts with my infrared devices. I will have to remove them until further notice. I can't even disable them from installing because new hardware will pull the newer files from the SP3 cab. I will just remove them completely. People are having problems with NUSB also. Sorry guys. The file DISKTSD.VXD from MDGx IOSYS98.EXE and DISKTSD.VXD from Maximus-Decim Native USB Drivers have the same version number but different CRC32 hashes. This might be one of our problems. I will create a separate pack and call it Unofficial Windows 98 Second Edition USB Stack 1.x + 2.x. I will also add the XBOX 360 USB drivers and remove them from the SP3. I'm removing SP3 links to avoid system BSODs. Thanks guys for testing :thumbup

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 804 posts

I'm have been using nothing but Via 8237 chipsets. I'm not complaining just stating my experience - it not only affects USB but also COM ports and accessing other workgroup computer files on ethernet adapter. seems to create a break in the hardware communication across the board. With the network adapter- it keeps trying to access SP3 to install network files every time I change a gateway or other setting. After restoring system I did gain access to usb devices without the BSOD. Apparently restoring didn't overwrite the .inf file(s) from the service pack used to identify flash drive ect. So I'm happy with the way it is now.

That is normal behaviour for Windows 98 network setup in my experience.
It is very annoying but isn't a symptom of any problem AFAIK.
:)

Dual boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a and Windows XP Professional SP3.
Dual 3.2GHz Xeons with 4GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

That is normal behaviour for Windows 98 network setup in my experience.
It is very annoying but isn't a symptom of any problem AFAIK.
:)

I never witnessed this either but I did get BSODs on a clean install with my infrared device enabled. I know for a fact it was cause by files from USB drivers. And my IR is on COM. I was using Win98 only USB files not WinME or Win2000 files and still got the BSOD. I had to disable my IR device. I'm starting to think the USB drivers are NOT the problem but certain hardware using the resources thats needed by USB. I never had a reason until now to use my infrared and its conflicting with my other hardware. I think users are always going to have this problem. After some research and reading many posts, the problems lies with the hardware. This is why some of us get BSODs and some of us don't. We probably should start looking into how to patch the files. I can confirm BSODs with my infrared with all version of USB files, Win98, WinME, 2000, XP. It didn't matter.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 15 January 2013 - 07:58 PM.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
Here is the list for Unofficial Windows 98 Second Edition USB Stack 1.x + 2.x. It will be its own executable and will install with Main Updates to the Windows\System folder. You will have to manually run the file USBSTACK.EXE. I will either have it ready by the weekend or early sometime next week. If users have any problems with USBSTACK.EXE, please post in this forum because it is a counterpart of U98SESP3.x.
1394.INF
HIDCLASS.SYS 5.0.2195.6882
HIDDEV.INF
HIDPARSE.SYS 5.1.2600.5512
HIDUSB.SYS 5.1.2600.5512
HIDVKD.SYS 4.90.0.3000
NODRIVER.INF
OPENHCI.SYS 4.90.3000.0
UHCD.SYS 4.90.3000.0
USB.INF
USB2.INF
USBAUTH.SYS 4.90.3000.0
USBD.SYS 4.90.3000.0
USBCCGP.SYS 5.1.2600.5585
USBCDC.INF
USBDSC1.SYS 4.10.0.1998
USBDSC2.VXD 4.0.0.950
USBEHCI.SYS 5.0.2195.6882
USBHUB.SYS 5.0.2195.7006
USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891
USBMPHLP.PDR 4.90.3000.0
USBNTMAP.INF
USBNTMAP.SYS 4.90.0.3000
USBPORT.SYS 5.0.2195.6941
USBSER.SYS 5.1.2600.5512
USBSTOR.INF
USBSTOR.SYS 5.0.2195.6773
USBU2A.SYS 1.4.2.0
USBVIEW.EXE 5.1.2600.2180
WDMSTUB.SYS 5.0.0.6
X360C.INF
X360C.SYS 5.2.3790.1830
X360HORI.INF
X360MDCZ.INF
X360CCP.DLL 5.2.3790.1830
X360CFF.DLL 5.2.3790.1830
X360CSA.EXE 5.2.3790.1830

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 06 January 2013 - 09:37 PM.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
fixed

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 21 February 2013 - 01:55 PM.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN