Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

98 SE SP 3.32

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
2359 replies to this topic

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
3.14 has abosultely no problems whatsoever on the laptop !

I will make a new snapshot and try the USB package.
Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

3.14 has abosultely no problems whatsoever on the laptop !

I will make a new snapshot and try the USB package.

Remember not to mix SP3 USB package with NUSB.

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

TmEE

TmEE

• PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
I got snapshots of vanilla install, and I planned to try things on these.

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

I figured out the file that was causing BSODs and now have my Infrared and USB Devices working.
The culprit was USBD.SYS 4.10.0.2222/4.10.0.2226 and the only way to fix it was to replace the file with the Windows ME version. Everyone should take notice if using Infrared devices.

My only backup that involves that file was made on July 31st, 2011, when it was replaced by USBD.SYS 4.90.3000.1. However, almost an year earlier (Sept-Oct 2010) I've been operating a script built by myself which used to create a serial communication with another computer using the COM port(s). Never had any blue screens or other related errors, while USBD.SYS was still in its original 98SE version (4.10.2222), but it's also true I can't prove it was in any way involved in those operations. On the other hand, I can't remember having any issues with the ME version installed after July 2011 either. BlueSoleil bluetooth works, I can transfer files between my 98SE and the old Nokia 2630 phone.

Never had a standard IR device on any computer, dunno how it looks and operates, so I can neither confirm nor deny your experience. The only IR device I had on the 98SE machine was the remote control receiver connected to the K-World TV Tuner and for what it's worth, that thing used to work fine.

From what I see, the ME version of USBD.SYS lists ks.sys as additional dependency, besides NTOSKRNL.EXE and HAL.DLL. If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Loew had difficulties (better said, the impossibility of) using USB (wireless/bluetooth?) headphones while trying to use certain (this?) ks.sys-dependent ME library and no version of ks.sys has been of help. Looks like we may be heading towards another dilemma. (sorry for my bad memory, I may be mistaken more or less on this subject)

Off-topic: my bandwidth has been again capped down to ~12kB/s and disconnects every few minutes, so I may not be able to dowload 3.14 until the 20th-21st of this month, not from main server which does not support resume; it was at 25% moments ago and now it started from scratch - that's just wasted bandwidth on the server-side. :(

(another couple typos, as usual...)

Edited by Drugwash, 07 January 2013 - 09:25 AM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
I also think depending on what drivers and controllers one installs first plays a big part in this. (Time consuming trying multiple combinations) When I had my sound card problem due to the updated windows 98 files that LoneCrusader helped me fix. I had to install the sound card drivers after I had updated the system files. Another example is Windows 2000 version of USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.xxxx, it works with some VIA controllers while it doesn't work with others. In some cases, the files are problematic and in others its the hardware. I guess we will never have a universal fix. This is probably why TmEE and a few others witness BSODs and others didn't. If people have problems with their USB devices cause by SP3, they will have to find their own solution because I'm all out of ideas. I have separated the USB drivers from Main Updates, so it can only mean one thing, HARDWARE conflict :} Not all files are compatible with every type of hardware. YMMV :huh:

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
Yes, the issue is very complex and often requires deep hardware and software knowledge in order to fix it. I've had a lot of troubles in the past with motherboard resources being distributed idfferently from board to board, which made it a challenge plugging in and installing drivers for video cards, sound cards, modems and whatnot.

A big problem is that nowadays' BIOS manufacturers removed all possible fine tweaks, leaving the BIOS as a useless picture (mostly in laptops/notebooks but desktop boards too), not a control panel that can (and sometimes has to) be altered. For that reason, most people with recent motherboards/BIOS versions will find it impossible to modify motherboard resources as to properly fit them to older OS versions such as 98/ME.

As a result, some people will never be able to fix their installation, regardless of all the advices, tweaks and patches we might put out here. There will be nothing left to do, other than replace motherboard/videocard/soundcard/etc, if and when possible, and even then, the results may be uncertain.

Therefore, we do our best but occasionally we may fail. Regretfully, there is nothing we can do, in such cases.

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
I'm wondering how good a performance one can get on modern hardware running Win98 in a VM in a stripped down 2000/XP/Linux host? If passable, I guess this could be a solution for modern equipment.. Anyone have experience with this, and if so, have a recommendation for which VM offers the best performance and hardware compatibility? Just curious.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

jumper

jumper

2014 All-American Masters HJ'er

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

I'm wondering how good a performance one can get on modern hardware running Win98 in a VM in a stripped down 2000/XP/Linux host? If passable, I guess this could be a solution for modern equipment.. Anyone have experience with this, and if so, have a recommendation for which VM offers the best performance and hardware compatibility? Just curious.

Cheers and Regards

I've been wondering the same thing for some time now. Perhaps even a VM directly on one of these new super-BIOS'es. Basic hardware would finally become standard; I/O could happen in the background on extra cores; etc.

I suggest opening a new Topic because it's only a matter a time before this becomes a major issue!
Design feedback requested:
IHAtool - IpHlpApi tester; call various functions and report results
--status-> framework is solid; 22 api's fully supported; preview release coming soon
ComDlg32 wrapper - ComDlgEx meets IpHlpApi wrapper
--status-> PrintDlgExW working in latest SumatraPDF 8^)
Future projects: ImportPatcher40 - dialog interface; Kexter - IP40+Ktree+Kexstubs

TmEE

TmEE

• PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
I just want to report that on the laptop I get some BSODs as soon as I plug in any USB device, upon continuing the laptop freezes.
Windows boots to desktop every time. Bit of an improvement compared to last time, when it was impossible to see desktop.

The rest however has worked flawlessly !

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

I just want to report that on the laptop I get some BSODs as soon as I plug in any USB device, upon continuing the laptop freezes.
Windows boots to desktop every time. Bit of an improvement compared to last time, when it was impossible to see desktop.

The rest however has worked flawlessly !

Replace only the USBHUB20.SYS with this version and then remove all USB drivers in safemode. http://www.viaarena...._V270p1-L-M.zip

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 09 January 2013 - 03:03 PM.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

TmEE

TmEE

• PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
That made it work ! Seems the VIA file works for ATI SB400 USB

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

That made it work ! Seems the VIA file works for ATI SB400 USB

Thank you very much TmEE for testing. This is the problem me and others have been trying to fix. Now you can use all of the updated USB files in SP3 without problems. In the meantime, always remember to install the USB package from SP3, after that replace the USBHUB20.SYS with the VIA version while already in safe mode. It will make things a lot easier. Everything should load up just fine.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

farfigs11

farfigs11

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
That works for me too! Hallelujah, updates and No more VIA BSOD. Thank you

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

That works for me too! Hallelujah, updates and No more VIA BSOD. Thank you

Music to my ears :thumbup. The manual work around for VIA controllers is a definite go.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

farfigs11

farfigs11

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
I just want to say after I installed SP3 I couldn't access the server( it's XP or later not sure) .My password was changed or deleted all together- not sure. I log on as "administrator" so I can access the server. All I had to do was delete the account and reenter it with the password.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

I just want to say after I installed SP3 I couldn't access the server( it's XP or later not sure) .My password was changed or deleted all together- not sure. I log on as "administrator" so I can access the server. All I had to do was delete the account and reenter it with the password.

SP3 does NOT change or edit any type of users profile. Its a glitch on your end. :}

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

FlippX

FlippX

Junior

• Pip
  • 60 posts
Hey,
I know "don't mix em",
but did someone actually try to just install this pack ontop of eg. the AutoPatcher?? And what happend??

I mean if it's not working I'd have to reinstall windows anyways...

And in relation to that, can anyone recommend a good free (hdd-, OS- or whatever)-backup-software for this old OS?!?

And one more: Could this help me with the "GIMP-bug", I just posted? I mean is there the potential...actually it was already working without this pack in the past, but anyways..

PS.:
If I'm not completely wrong, this pack is as good as complete now!? So what's about adding some diagnostics-software, or other system-software to it? Personally I don't have problems with 3rd-party stuff, but even the ms-related things are not bad.. like eg. the Process-Explorer.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
I will add Microsoft only tools. I have WDMSTUB.SYS, a few USB drivers and Adapec Aspi 4.7 drivers added and thats about it. Other tools are included in the SP but are only used for tasks. Everyone prefers their own specific software tools. I'm not the one to make their decisions, is why I use MS tools/files only. If they don't like it, then they probably shouldn't use SP3. More than 90% of SP is optional.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
I will release 3.16 sometime soon. Right now, I'm fine tuning SP and so far I have two updated files.

NTMAPHLP.PDR 4.90.3000.0 WinME CD
TRIEDIT.DLL 6.1.0.9235 Windows 2000 SP4

I also had Microsoft L2TP/IPSec VPN Client 1.0 added but it hangs during installation so I removed it. It uses InstallShield and I used it with silent command and it still hangs ;)

Anyone that has been having sluggish, slow, system incompatibilities, BSODs, crashes, lockups etc... due to the newer files [NT/ME/2000/XP/Vista/Win7], please post here :whistle: :huh: :D . In the meantime, I'll continue adding the latest/newest compatible files because my system rocks with them and I'm sure yours do toooooooo. Enjoy the SP :w00t:

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

4js

4js
  • 6 posts
that sounds great, I'm looking forward
hope i will find time for testing
I would also politely ask for an update of the readme.txt (usbstack.exe ...)

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

that sounds great, I'm looking forward
hope i will find time for testing
I would also politely ask for an update of the readme.txt (usbstack.exe ...)

How is this?
Prerequites:

Minimum 64 MB of RAM for Main Updates.
160 MB free hard disk space for (ALL) updates.

Installation Guide: * = Optional.

A. Install Windows 98 Second Edition (with or without 98lite).*
B. Install all the latest drivers for your hardware.
C. Install latest IE.*
D. Install latest DirectX.*
E. Install latest Service Pack 3.x (Main Updates).*
F. Install USBSTACK.EXE inside the Windows\System\ directory if you want updated USB drivers.* 
G. Remove all current USB/EHCI drivers + controllers from Device Manager in safe mode. REBOOT! (mandatory if you install USBSTACK.EXE)
H. Let all drivers redetect on startup. Plug in USB devices one at a time. If no new USB drivers have been added to Service Pack 3.x, then you only need to do this procedure (ONCE)!
I. If a BSOD occurs while updating USB devices, then users need to replace only the file USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891 with older version USBHUB20.SYS 4.90.3000.11, then repeat step G. installation instruction.
J. Install optional components of Service Pack 3.x.*
K. Install MS Office.*
L. Install KernelEx, 98SE2ME, Revolution Pack.*

Known Issuses + Solutions:

When removing USB drivers while in safe mode, you NEED to be using a PS/2 mouse or keyboard. USB mouse and keyboard drivers needs to be deleted also.

Some (Crystal CS423x) audio drivers are not compatible with Service Pack 3.x.
Remove sound drivers, install the Service Pack, re-install sound drivers.

Links:

http://exuberant.ms11.net
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/61749-98-se-sp-33/

Special Thanks:

Gape, MDGx, erpdude8, Petr, CLASYS, Tihiy, DuckDaffy, eGorZ, swgreed, hp38guser, safir, sybesma, ssmokee, HSI, Tarun, azagahl,DanyBoss, miko, eidenk, sleffing, Drugwash, rloew, dencorso, jds, Fredledingue, gerislamico, Nexus_06, loblo, bphlpt, jaclaz, LoneCrusader, and all other contributors!

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

4js

4js
  • 6 posts
this is perfect, thanks for clarification and
THANKS for your ongoing tireless work :thumbup

ReK67

ReK67
  • 5 posts
Hi, Me again (USB Keyboard/Mouse not responding when installing SP3.xx)
MOBO on that PC died. Got a new 98 compatible MOBO as I have to keep using Win98. - AsRock 775i65G R3.0 - New build, by myself - So far, so good. I'm pretty impressed/happy !
Just have 1 question and and my personal installation findings/comments.
Q: Why is it mandatory to remove all USB stuff in Safe Mode after installing usbstack.exe (just personal curiosity)

Installation findings/comments: All installs were on a fresh formatted test 8 Gb partition. Win98SE and all factory drivers installed. No conflicts or unknown devices in Device Manager noted.
Installed main updates only & restarted. Then I installed usbstack.exe and rebooted. Quite by accident, F8 key did not bring up boot menu to boot to safe mode so I just decided to let it proceed to see what would happen.
New hardware was detected and installed. It was all USB stuff but I didn't write it/them down. When asked if I wanted to keep newer versions of files to replace, I always chose keep newer file. PS/2 mouse was still needed after a certain point.
When I rebooted, the only device not recognized or installed was HID mouse. I was able to update driver (in device manager) with a file in Windows/Inf folder. After reboot, SUCCESS, SUCCESS, SUCCESS !!! Device manager was free of
conflicts and everything appears to work & FAST !. I'm still testing and have been using for many hours with no problem/issues so far. All my USB sticks are recognized & usable. Haven't tried any other USB devices yet.
I DO NOT recommend that anyone follow these/my procedures, they just my personal experiences. This same procedure also seemed to work on another PC of mine. ABIT NF7 w/AMD Anthlon CPU.
If you would like me to test any specific thing or make notes of a fresh install when updating to SP3 & usbstack, I'll see what I can do.
The only thing I happened to notice was the Win Key doesn't pop up the start menu. Win+E, Win+F, Win+R, etc. all work. This is no big deal & I don't know what the issue is. Just an FYI.
I think your about 99.9 % there.

1000 thank yous to you, PROBLEMCHYLD, & all your happy helpers/contributors ! YOU GUYS, (and or GALS) ARE THE BEST !!!

Rek67

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

After reboot, SUCCESS, SUCCESS, SUCCESS !!! Device manager was free of
conflicts and everything appears to work & FAST !. I'm still testing and have been using for many hours with no problem/issues so far. All my USB sticks are recognized & usable.

Oh no! Not another user with increased system speed and stability. I shall remove all of the the updated files because they serve no purpose. They are just there taking up precious space :thumbup We can just do it the old fashion Microsoft way instead of the way of the geeks that we are. I'm waiting on at least two people to tell me their system has malfunctioned or slowed down due to updated files. Yes, I'm trolling and I have my reasons. When people learn how to stay in their own lane and get the hell out my way, then I won't have a reason to go at anyone. Thanks again ReK67 for testing and enjoy.

P.S

I hope the SP with all the updated files crashes everyone system that download it. Just kidding, I'm in a GOOD mood, so I thought I'll give you guys a hard time. Really though, enjoy and report any issues GOOD or BAD so I can fix them immediately.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Q: Why is it mandatory to remove all USB stuff in Safe Mode after installing usbstack.exe (just personal curiosity)

Some things can stay, some things must be removed, some things are redetected leaving unneeded Registry entries.
Determining which requires testing of every possible driver. This is not practical for a general purpose package.
It is much simpler to remove all of them cleanly.
Special situations, such as USB only Keyboard and Mouse, may require different handling, but that would not be part of a standard SP. At least not yet.
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN