Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

98 SE SP 3.32

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
2359 replies to this topic

pjmelect

pjmelect

• 28 posts
I am not a fan of these banners, and normally remove them, but I think that I could live with number 26.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
21h, 23h or 28 would be my picks
Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
I have Good news and some Great news :thumbup

Good News: I will use # 23H for the new update default start banner. This means when users select the Windows ME/2000 theme, it will be your default banner.

Great News: Users who follow instructions will be presented with the option to (use) any banner they prefer. First instruction is to download the banner you prefer to use and wait for further instructions. :w00t:

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 27 February 2013 - 11:42 AM.

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Laser98IX

Laser98IX

• 34 posts
After my last post on August 19th, 2012, and a six month absence due to re-constructive shoulder surgery, last night I was finally able to read through every post since page 82. It only took me five hours. Yeah ... I'm a slow reader

WOW!!! What a roller-coaster ride! :wacko:

First let me offer a big "Thank you!" to PROBLEMCHYLD for maintaining his determination and not walking away from what has to be a supremely monumental effort. Thanks also goes out to so many other people who've kept up a diligent effort and helped to keep this project going. I can't even recall every contributor, there were so many. :hello:

The latest Service Pack has been downloaded and archived, and in the next few days I'm going to apply it to the same machine I'd built specifically for this purpose before I disappeared. The good news is I've been able to add to my collection of EZ65's, so not only do I have my original 98SE EZ65 machine running that I use every day, but also a completely new O/S install on an exact copy of the first EZ65, plus another clean O/S install "mirror" in another box just in case I need to reinstall something or apply various fixes. (I took someone's post about having a back-up VERY seriously.)

Beyond those machines I have a few more in case I need additional test machines doing crazy things, so as soon as I get a job so I can pay for the shipping charges I'll stick one of those machines in a box and ship it to you for testing, PROBLEMCHYLD. (I sure hope you don't live 4000 miles away.) The only caveat is you'll have to supply your own license of Win98SE, unless I can find one lying around in my shop that needs a good home. That's how much I appreciate what you've been doing.
:thumbup
The hardware configuration is listed here:
http://www.msfn.org/...ost__p__1006556

As has been stated many, many, many times before, I'm going to document the entire installation process, so if there are any problems I'll be sure to list every action and response. By the look of things it appears nearly every problem has been resolved, or at least a work-around devised, so the install will most likely run smooth and clean.

Again ... a special thank you to PROBLEMCHYLD for being patient with lots of folks like me who ask what might seem like idiotic questions. Your efforts will be proved beneficial each time a Win98SE machine gets powered on with your updates.

Another update of my installation will be posted in the next few days.

Edited by Laser98IX, 28 February 2013 - 04:59 AM.

Longtime Win98SE user.
"They'll bury me with my 98SE licenses."

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
Hey Laser98IX, welcome back! Hope your shoulder's fine now. ;)

Guys, here's a new series of colorful banners, hoping they'll match your themes. No gallery for these, they're too many. Just download and look through, maybe you'll find something that fits your tastes.:thumbup

Download banners series 2

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
Anyone know how to create chm files?

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
I've seen the following recommended:

HTML Help Workshop
HelpNDoc
DocBook
Sandcastle
ImmDoc.NET
Help and Manual - NOT free
FAR HTML - NOT free
Doc-to-Help - NOT free

HTML Help Workshop runs on everything from Win 95 and up. HelpNDoc probably has more features for content creation, but only runs on XP+ and actually requires HTML Help Workshop to compile the CHM files.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt, 02 March 2013 - 08:57 PM.

Posted Image

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
Ah, that's been a PITA for me, some time ago. Even went as far as mail the authors of some of those utilities (I think HelpNDoc was one of them), asking to fix some quirks that were showing up under 9x, but they wouldn't. :(

Yes, ultimately HTML HelpWorkshop would be the main component that builds the actual .chm, but it's a bit of a challenge to do it manually. I never bothered to learn how to operate it.

For building the individual HTML pages that make up the documentation, I'd use Komposer (got two separate versions here, they do work albeit with some minor issues). I think v0.8b3 should work fine in regard to FTP upload, while v0.7.10 has issues with that. Not sure, but it might require KernelEx in order to run.

Dunno of other similar tools that'd work under 9x and I did search everywhere, at the time. :(

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
I decided to go with Microsoft HTML HelpWorkshop :) It seems to be the smallest and most complicated. I read through some of the documentation and there is a lot of manual work that needs to be done. The good thing about that, is once I finally learn it, future projects should be a breeze :yes: Its going to be a long journey reading. Here's a peek at 3.19 update.

IRFTP.EXE 4.90.3000.0 WinME CD [only for users with infrared devices] If infrared drivers are not detected then the file won't install :thumbup
POLEDIT.EXE 5.0.2195.2546 Windows 2000
Added new default start banner

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 03 March 2013 - 04:23 PM.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
I have found a way to log SP installation :thumbup I have a few issues though. There are 2 log files in the Windows directory, LOGFILES.LOG and SETUPAPI.LOG. Here is the problem, take a look at log files. Now I know the files installed and works correctly. I just don't understand why the 2 logs have different outputs but only a second apart. Logging is included in 3.19. Besides this issue, the only other issues I have is when batch files are launch, they are not logged and LOGFILES.LOG is appended. Other than that, everything is smooth.

SETUPAPI.LOG
[2013/03/04 10:05:08 4294784565.2]
Munged cmdline: Rundll32 crlupd.inf
EXE name: C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE
An unsigned or incorrectly signed file (c:\windows\temp\ixp005.tmp\crlupd.inf) was installed. Error 0x800b0003: Unknown Error
Copying file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET50A0.TMP to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\verisignpub1.crl.
An unsigned or incorrectly signed file (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET50A0.TMP) was installed. Error 0x800b0003: Unknown Error
Copying file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET50A1.TMP to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mscrlrev.dll.
An unsigned or incorrectly signed file (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET50A1.TMP) was installed. Error 0x800b0003: Unknown Error
Copying file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET50A1.TMP to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\updcrl.exe.
An unsigned or incorrectly signed file (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET50A1.TMP) was installed. Error 0x800b0003: Unknown Error

LOGFILES.LOG
-------------------- advpack.dll is loaded or Attached ------------------------------
Date: 03/04/2013 (mm/dd/yyyy) Time: 10:05:07 (hh:mm:ss)
LaunchINFSectionEx: Param= crlupd.inf,,C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\IXP005.TMP\crlupd.cab,
ExecuteCab:Inf = crlupd.inf
CoreInstall: InfFile=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\IXP005.TMP\crlupd.inf InstallSection=DefaultInstall
GenInstall: Sec=DefaultInstall
GenInstall return: Sec=DefaultInstall hr=0x0
InstallOCX: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mscrlrev.dll Register
LoadLibrary C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mscrlrev.dll
Register: DoDllReg: Succeeded
InstallOCX: End C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mscrlrev.dll
RunCommands: Sec=RunPostSetupCmds
LaunchAndWait: Cmd=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\updcrl.exe -e C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\verisignpub1.crl
LaunchAndWait: End hr=0x0, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\updcrl.exe -e C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\verisignpub1.crl
RunCommands: Sec=RunPostSetupCmds End hr=0x0
ProcessPerUserSec:
Inf=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\IXP005.TMP\crlupd.inf, InstallSec=DefaultInstall, PerUserInstall=PerUser.Install
SetPerUserSecValues:
Input params: {9EF0045A-CDD9-438e-95E6-02B9AFEC8E11},CRLUpdate,*,C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\updcrl.exe -e -u C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\verisignpub1.crl,1,0,2195,0,1
SetPerUserSecValues: End hr=0x0
ProcessPerUserSec: End hr=0x0
CoreInstall: End InfFile=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\IXP005.TMP\crlupd.inf hr=0x0
ExecuteCab: End hr=0x0 Inf=crlupd.inf
LaunchINFSectionEx: End hr=0x0

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Nomen

Nomen

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
I'm not sure if I should have asked this as a new subject under > Windows 9x Member Projects or (like I'm doing now) adding it as a reply to the > 98 SE SP 3.18 thread, but...

Here's a dumb question. What is the suggested (or required) starting point when installing 98SE SP 3.18? I mean, after installing 98se on a virgin computer, and installing all drivers (motherboard, video, etc), what else should I go out and install *before* I run 98SE SP 3.18?

If I intend to have IE, should I go and get IE6sp1? What about Directx 9c? And KernelEx? Are any of those included in SP 3.18, and if not, do they get installed before or after SP 3.18?

Also - does SP 3.18 include all of the updates / patches that I would-have-gotten from WindowsUpdate server (if it were still running) ?

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
@ Nomen: some of the answers can be found in the readme.txt file included with the Service Pack. In my humble opinion, the SP should be downloaded by every 98SE user, whether they install it or not, because at some point the need may arise and who knows if Internet access will still be available at that point.

@ PROBLEMCHYLD: You can always redirect the output of the applications launched by the batch files to the log file. And if there's any operation that does not output anything, you may use @ECHO to send custom text to the log.
Please note that if you use single right-angle, the file will be overwritten (previous contents will be lost), whereas if you use double right-angle (as in the example below), text will be appended to the log file.
DSCLIENT.EXE /C:"SETUP.EXE /Q:A /R:N" >>LOGFILES.LOG

@ECHO Now installing [this file] to [this path] >>LOGFILES.LOG

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
Thanks Drugwash :thumbup Even though DSCLIENT.EXE is launched from a batch file, setup is ran from SETUP.EXE which requires the DSCSETUP.DLL 5.0.2195.5201 which launches DSCLIENT.INF and installs the files. Dsclient is logged in both LOGFILES.LOG and SETUPAPI.LOG. I had stripped the dsclient package down a while back to reserve space, but when I did it that way, it broke dial up networking. So I had to add the whole package. I spent a lot of time and many combinations to get it working. If you look at the code in the batch script, this was the only way to get it installed correctly without users being prompted for directories etc........ As you can see, I had to KILL WABINST.EXE because it hangs if address book is not present. Dsclient does a lot of checking for certain components. I learned another thing after investigating the log files is, dsclient replaces newer files from Main Updates with older versions. To fix this problem, users will have to install the client first and then Main Updates. If someone patched SETUP.EXE 5.0.2195.4860 and DSCSETUP.DLL 5.0.2195.5201 inside the package to avoid checking for DCOM and WABINST.EXE, I will be able to save 2MB of space. The only files that are not logged in SP is Fonts, registry entries and copying of files. One more thing, when the icons are patched with resource hacker, a log file is created. How would I forward the contents of that log file to the main logfile which is logfiles.log?
@ECHO OFF
DSCLIENT.EXE /C:"SETUP.EXE /Q:A /R:N"
WAIT.EXE 8
KILL.EXE /F WABINST.EXE
CLS

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 13,983 posts

How would I forward the contents of that log file to the main logfile which is logfiles.log?

TYPE mylog.log >>logfiles.log

If I may, about redirecting the output of batches, it is normally NOT a good idea, in the sense that you have that in the log INSTEAD of on the normal output.
Using a tee command would probably be of use.
See if this fits:
http://code.google.com/p/wintee/
http://code.google.c...wintee/wiki/FAQ
or use mtee version 1.1 which surely works in Win9x:
http://www.commandli...mtee/index.html

jaclaz

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
DSClient was just a random example, apparently I picked the wrong one. Anyway, unless a certain component has major issues that would need detailed logging, it would be enough to just output "Installing [this component]" before launching an executable and "Finished installing [this component] after it finished, simply by using ECHO. That should be enough to pinpoint which package hangs, crashes or otherwise breaks the installation.

If DSClient overwrites newer files, there may be a reason for that. Maybe there's a KB article or something, explaining what it does and why. This way, we might be able to repackage it, editing the inf(s) or whatever to only check for specific file versions and replace under strict conditions.

As I mentioned some time ago, I may be able to build a custom installer for the SP, but it would be rather tight unless I find a way to allow modularity and flexibility and for that I'd have to know all the dependecies of all modules, the correct installation sequence and all the internal stuff. That would take quite some time.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

How would I forward the contents of that log file to the main logfile which is logfiles.log?

TYPE mylog.log >>logfiles.log

If I may, about redirecting the output of batches, it is normally NOT a good idea, in the sense that you have that in the log INSTEAD of on the normal output.
Using a tee command would probably be of use.
See if this fits:
http://code.google.com/p/wintee/
http://code.google.c...wintee/wiki/FAQ
or use mtee version 1.1 which surely works in Win9x:
http://www.commandli...mtee/index.html

jaclaz

Thanks :w00t: Microsoft has a version too, inside Win98 Resource Kit. CAT.EXE 5.0.1754.1. I will used it in the next release. This is good for users so they don't have to copy and paste or even upload multiple log files. Every change will be in one log file for yours and mine convenience. Thanks again jaclaz :D

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
Here is a changelog of 3.19. I will release it some time this week or early next week. Important Notice for 3.18 users. If you already have 3.18 installed, you don't need to install 3.19. Download it anyway to have the latest version for future installations. The changes that have been made are minor and will not improve your installation. Users with virgin/clean installs will benefit only. If users want to change the default start banner, I will post the instructions after releasing the SP. If users want file logging, you must install Main Updates. All other updates will only install if they already exist on the system. Thanks again

Bug Fixes
Added CAT.EXE 5.0.1754.1 Microsoft Windows 98 Resource Kit
Added IRFTP.EXE 4.90.3000.0 WinME CD
Added POLEDIT.EXE 5.0.2195.2546 Windows 2000
Added installation logging
Added new default start banner

@ Drugwash

You definitely help keep me on my toes.
Check out what Microsoft says about Active Directory

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 06 March 2013 - 11:17 AM.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
Please read the Important Notices!
3.19 is out. Enjoy! :thumbup :w00t: :yes: B)

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Thanks PROBLEMCHYLD!
:thumbup

Dual boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a and Windows XP Professional SP3.
Dual 3.2GHz Xeons with 4GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
I'm loving the new default start banner !
Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

I'm loving the new default start banner !

I chose that one because it looks as close to the original with Second Edition added. Users can also add any banner they like. I did a lot of fine tuning with this version. I will also like to add, some of the updates I have added in the past are TOOLS, to help automate installation for your ease and mine. Don't worry guys, just cause a file is there, doesn't mean it will end up on your system. :thumbup This is why I always list the tools as well, so users can see whats been added :ph34r:

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

@ Drugwash

You definitely help keep me on my toes.
Check out what Microsoft says about Active Directory

Yep, I've read that KB alright, as well as a few others linked to it. They are the masters of if... then, but no actual final solution. I suppose situations like that lead to the development of the Side-by-Side (SxS) system used in later NT-based OS versions.

I see no detailed explanation as to which DSClient component might conflict with which hotfix(es) or original system files. There is no map of what breaks and what works if this gets installed. The only attempt at an improvement is DFS.VXD which makes it two out of three, instead of one out of three (Win2k domain logon attempts). Lame, IMHO. But anyway, our uSP installs a newer version of DFS.VXD, namely 4.10.2231, while the KB linked from the main article mentioned by you lists 4.10.2228 - hopefully it's for the best, not for the worst. Other than that, we're lost in the mist. Anybody got a good flashlight to get us outta here?

On a side note, related to the Explorer Start menu banner: it can be changed at any time, by using just a couple of tools. First is Resource Hacker and second is one that can kill the Explorer process without triggering its restart. For the latter I use Codestuff Starter, which is a great tool to watch/kill startup/running processes (and services in NT-based OS). Just make sure you get the zip version, as the installer wouldn't run under 9x last time I checked.

How to replace banner (or any other resources, for that matter) in Explorer.exe:
- unpack your resources, if needed (such as banner bitmaps mentioned by PROBLEMCHYLD, icon packs, AVI files)
- start ResHacker
- open file explorer.exe (in ResHacker menu > File > Open) from the WINDOWS folder
- replace the desired resource(s)
- start Codestuff Starter (or whatever other similar tool) and kill explorer.exe; make sure it doesn't restart by itself
- save the modified explorer.exe to the same location (a backup will be created automatically, named explorer_original.exe, which can be restored in case of a bad edit)
- hit Ctrl + Esc, which should launch a new Explorer process. If that won't happen for some reason, right-click in the upper list of Codestuff Starter, choose New > Browse, goto the WINDOWS folder, select explorer.exe and launch it. If you use another tool, make sure it has the ability to launch a new process. Alternatively, have a secondary file manager already open, Alt+Tab to it and launch explorer.exe from there.

That should be all and should cover questions such as "I don't like the default banner and I was reckless enough not to read the instructions on the download page, now how do I put my preferred banner in Explorer?" or anything similar.
Enjoy!

4js

4js
  • 6 posts

Please read the Important Notices!
3.19 is out. Enjoy! :thumbup :w00t: :yes: B)

thanks for 3.19 :thumbup
is it possible to integrate the important notices to readme.txt ? maybe also drugwashs' instructions?

Edited by 4js, 12 March 2013 - 12:37 PM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

thanks for 3.19 :thumbup
is it possible to integrate the important notices to readme.txt ? maybe also drugwashs' instructions?

Drugwash and my way are similar. I just automate the tasks and Drugwash does it manually. Same instructions, different wording. About the readme.txt, I'm working on a chm file so everything can be included. Its going to take a while for the chm unless I can get some assistance. There is a lot of documentation I have to read thoroughly. Hopefully its not too much trouble for users to look right below the Most recent updates section which has the important notices. Not too far down the page at all :} The main reason I put them there :thumbup

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

About the readme.txt, I'm working on a chm file so everything can be included. Its going to take a while for the chm unless I can get some assistance. There is a lot of documentation I have to read thoroughly.

Perhaps you'd be better off using CHM Editor which is very cool (WYSIWYG Html editor) and very easy to use. It's a commercial demo who is supposed to expire after 15 days but I have it since about two years now and it always tells me I've got 15 days left. If you can leave with a nag screen on program startup and the fact it doesn't let you "save as" (but you can save, no problems) which is apparently its only limitation, then this is the way to go IMO.

Link to a 2010 version which works OK on 9x/ME unlike the latest: http://classic-web.a...chmeditor.com/?

Edited by loblo, 12 March 2013 - 04:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN