Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

98 SE SP 3.32

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
2359 replies to this topic

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Please forgive my ignorance if this suggestion is infeasible or already taken care of, but instead of including those large IE packages how about if the Service Pack installation instructions were to provide addresses for (trustworthy) places where the user could get each of the possible alternative IE versions? Then the user could download the desired one as needed.

This might provide the best practical mix of package comprehensiveness, user convenience, and customizability, while at the same time limiting the size of the files that @PROBLEMCHYLD needs to offer.

--JorgeA

Another solution. Thank You! I'm working on it as we speak.

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

monroe

monroe

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 866 posts

Donator

PROBLEMCHYLD ... would this page be of benefit or maybe it's already on your list to check out.

MDGx

Internet Explorer (IE) 4/5/6/7/8/9/10

http://www.mdgx.com/ietoy.htm

Internet Explorer (IE) 4/5/6/7/8/9/10
Essential FREE Fixes + Updates

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

IE usually was needed for certain updated system files it had bundled, that could not be found otherwise. It is not about using IE as a browser, but getting those files into the system. One may well rename iexplore.exe to whatever else (mine is iexplore.exe.000) and set some other browser as default.

Here is the crazy thing, I don't use IE at all, but I don't have a problem adding it. 98lite rips out IE on a clean install. If users notice, I added IE 5.5 SP2 Core files because it is Super stable over the IE 6 SP1 files. I'm not sure if I can use 98lite as an example because every APP might require different files from IE. This is why the core files in SP are aimed at 98lite users only. If users want IE, I will try to give them IE. You guys input is very valuable, so keep it coming.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Steven W

Steven W

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
With IE, IMO, it would be nice to have one install with all updates available -- like IE 6sp1 w/ MDCU updates plus all new ones available since. One install for the others too.

BTW, are you aware of the updates discussed here:

http://www.msfn.org/..._1#entry1007502

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

With IE, IMO, it would be nice to have one install with all updates available -- like IE 6sp1 w/ MDCU updates plus all new ones available since. One install for the others too.

BTW, are you aware of the updates discussed here:

http://www.msfn.org/..._1#entry1007502

Sorry guys, I won't be adding IE atm. No versions will be added until we find a better solution. I can't afford the bandwidth. We are looking at 65MB for the lite version of the SP and about 200MB + for IE 5.5 SP2 and IE 6 SP1 each. If we can find a reliable FREE host, then I will reconsider. We are knocking on about a half gig with all three packages. There is also many broken links on MDGx site atm. I can't gather all necessary updates either. Some links work and some don't. What I will do, is when MDGx site is back up and fully running, I will try and create a installer to update IE 5.5 SP2 + IE 6 SP1. So users will have to install IE, the updated IE package, Direct X, SP main Updates, All other optional components in SP. This leaves users with about 5 or 6 steps.

Another solution is that, many files that are installed by IE are already included in Main Updates. There will be many files overlapping. With you guys help, we can probably strip it down to necessities. SP already has a option for Windows Scripting Host 5.7, so there will be no need for IE to install version 5.6. You guys get it, its a lot of work. Stripping files from IE, might lead to breakage due to other files missing. Lets see what others think before I make it final. I'm open to suggestions, but let them benefit all of us. Dial up users download a 200mb + package can be painful. People with lower computer specs couldn't handle the package. I sorry to say it, but not all of us is as fortunate as others.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 27 May 2013 - 03:30 PM.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Sorry guys, I won't be adding IE atm. No versions will be added until we find a better solution. I can't afford the bandwidth. We are looking at 65MB for the lite version of the SP and about 200MB + for IE 5.5 SP2 and IE 6 SP1 each. If we can find a reliable FREE host, then I will reconsider. We are knocking on about a half gig with all three packages.

The basic IE6 SP1 Package from Windows Update is 21MB unpacked. DirectX 9.0c is approx 35MB.
I don't know how many updates there are but this is the starting point.
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

The basic IE6 SP1 Package from Windows Update is 21MB unpacked. DirectX 9.0c is approx 35MB.

This helps a lot. Thanks, and do the basic version install outlook express, bells, and whistles? Will users complain since its not a full version. Same as with Direct X. I also need to download the basic version, gotta link?. Thanks. I will add IE 6 SP1 first and see how that turns out before I work on a 5.5 SP2 version. 21mb for IE 6 SP1 and 15MB for Direct X 9c lite. I can work with this.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
If bandwidth is a problem I can offer free webspace on my personal server. Currently I got over 700GB of space there and my bandwidth is unlimited (I can move hundreds of GBytes of data if I want and it will still cost me 31€ per month).
My connection has up to 20MBit upload speed so when there's not a lot of traffic people will get speeds exceeding 1MByte/sec.
Also the server is powered by Win98SE + uSP 3.2x :P
Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

If bandwidth is a problem I can offer free webspace on my personal server. Currently I got over 700GB of space there and my bandwidth is unlimited (I can move hundreds of GBytes of data if I want and it will still cost me 31€ per month).
My connection has up to 20MBit upload speed so when there's not a lot of traffic people will get speeds exceeding 1MByte/sec.
Also the server is powered by Win98SE + uSP 3.2x :P

I'll start working on it soon. Thanks buddy. I will do one pack at a time.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

This helps a lot. Thanks, and do the basic version install outlook express, bells, and whistles? Will users complain since its not a full version. Same as with Direct X. I also need to download the basic version, gotta link?. Thanks. I will add IE 6 SP1 first and see how that turns out before I work on a 5.5 SP2 version. 21mb for IE 6 SP1 and 15MB for Direct X 9c lite. I can work with this.

I got DirectX from Windows Update. I downloaded IE6 using the Online Installer and saving the files. Neither works anymore so I have no links for you. I believe it includes Outlook Express. All other updates were in Windows Update.
My SP0 which includes the entire Windows Update package and IE6 is 150MB.
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

RFMaster

RFMaster

• 28 posts
DX9c oct 2006 (last dx with 9x support)

http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=7104

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
And MUCH of the size of the DirectX installer is due to the installer. If you extract the files to include in your SP, I think you will be surprised how little space in comparison it ends up taking up.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
Raw DX files that the package installs aren't even 10MBytes total uncompressed...
Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

cdoublejj

cdoublejj

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
well it's been a while since i've done this, perhaps this time i can figure how to check and uncheck the various options. is this the most update to date SP or are there still others?

Edited by cdoublejj, 29 June 2013 - 03:28 PM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

MDGx, on 01 May 2005 - 07:30 AM, said:

If u plan on installing DX 9.0c only on Win98/98SE/ME, u only need these 5 files:

BDA.CAB
DIRECTX.CAB
DSETUP.DLL
DSETUP32.DLL
DXSETUP.EXE

and they don't need to be from the February, March or April 2005 DX release, they can also be from original DX 9.0c release [these 5 are identical]:
http://www.microsoft...en&Hash=VB346XB

Removing all others will not impair DX installation on 9x/ME.

This will add about 17.5 MB to the package. DX9C is definitely in. I'm not sure if we need the Managed DX files which will increase the size of the pack, but I have been using this MDGx method for years and everything is golden. I guess if users only need the core without the bloat, this is ideal and if not, one can download the full package which is about 60+ MB.

P.S.

I will also add MDGx unofficial Direct X updates which is only a few.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 13 July 2013 - 08:25 AM.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Fredledingue

Fredledingue

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
HI There, there has been a problem with the server hosting the U98SESP3 package. The websitye is back online now.

Problemchild: you may not have access to the serer anymore to update the file. It comes at the worse moment possible for me because I must leave one week for my job. I'll try to restore your account either today (if I have time) or in 9 days.

Sorry for the unconveniance.

HTASoft.com

superchargedwindows9xig1.png
Still Using W98SE+++ ...Daily.

Fredledingue

Fredledingue

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
Problemchild: PLease read your messages (important)

HTASoft.com

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
Thanks fred. I got the memo.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Fredledingue

Fredledingue

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
I see that you have a second forum on another website. I'll follow you there.

HTASoft.com

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Super Moderator
  • 5,792 posts

Donator

Just a heads up: the just released usbccgp.sys 5.1.2600.6437 from KB2862330 may work with Win 98SE, so it might be of interest to the uSP (but no, I didn't actually test it).

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
Thank you very much. I will test it over the weekend. My internet is down and I can't upload anything. I should be back online soon.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

MiKl

MiKl

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

usbccgp.sys 5.1.2600.6437 seem to working perfectly here at my KT4AV. Will test ICH5 system later today !!

Follow up. Also O.K. on my ICH5 PC. Thanks !!

Edited by MiKl, 18 October 2013 - 04:07 AM.

cdoublejj

cdoublejj

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

when i install this, it longer lists what cPU i have when i right click "my computer" and hit "properties".

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

Resistere pro causa resistentiam.

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 803 posts

Donator

when i install this, it longer lists what cPU i have when i right click "my computer" and hit "properties".

This is a known bug when updating SYSDM.CPL after Windows 9x has been installed. As far as I know, there is no fix at the moment. It is NOT a bug in the new .CPL file, because if the new .CPL file is used during original SETUP, then the CPU info is displayed normally.

The CPU info display under System Properties is very "finicky" and sometimes behaves strangely. :}

cdoublejj

cdoublejj

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

How many important and useful patches if any is this SP missing? i noticed it doesn't have DX 9 either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN