98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

[i have been testing USBHUB.SYS 5.0.2195.7006 Windows 2000 SP5. It works with no issues on intel boards. :w00t:

I'm not sure what troubles it will bring for VIA controllers/chipsets. :}

@PROBLEMCHYLD

It's Usbhub.sys 5.0.2195.7006 buggy?

I don't have a USB modem, but I do have digital cams/usb flash drives. It works on my system with no problems. Some say other files were buggy, but I added them to service pack. You get better results on a clean install. I prefer to test on a clean install, that way you are only dealing with system files. You are able to pinpoint problems that way. :lol:

The specific bug I saw mentioned in those links seems to only apply to a USB1 modem under Win2K. [...]

There's really no need to risk your main system right now, since the issue in question is limited to USB 1.x (because USBHUB.SYS 5.0.2195.7006 is part of the USB 1.x stack), so that a machine having only USB 1.1 is the ideal test bed for problems with USBHUB.SYS. :yes:

That said, I'd never risk my main system without first creating at least one known-good partition image, so as to be able to recover fast, in case anything goes wrong.

In my reckoning, there isn't such a thing as "too many backups". :D

There's really no need to risk your main system right now, since the issue in question is limited to USB 1.x(because USBHUB.SYS 5.0.2195.7006 is part of the USB 1.x stack), so that a machine having only USB 1.1 is the ideal test bed for problems with USBHUB.SYS. :yes:

Here's my question. Does this bug only cause problems with USB 1.x modems or all USB 1.x devices?

I have both USB 1.x/USB 2.0.

Ok, i have a couple of USB tele modems (not currently installed) and would be willing to test, but here's the rub:

1) The system i've been using to test uSP 3.0 final is kind of ancient (PII/i440) and only has USB 1.1.

This system would be just fine. Thank you :w00t:
2) My main system is somewhat newer (P4/i845) and has USB 2.0, but i'd have to first install uSP 3.0 final over currently-installed uSP 3.0b4. I'd be a bit nervous about doing that over the next couple of weeks, because it's my primary link to work and the 'net... and i have some work projects that'll be due. For the same reasons, i can't do a new, clean install right now.
No need since you already have a test bed ready.
But i do want to help the project along, so maybe i'll just bite the bullet and give it a go anyway. Let me ponder.... Any feedback is appreciated....

- Doug B.

Any help to improve the service pack is always appreciated. Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Ok, i have a couple of USB tele modems (not currently installed) and would be willing to test, but here's the rub:

1) The system i've been using to test uSP 3.0 final is kind of ancient (PII/i440) and only has USB 1.1.

This system would be just fine. Thank you :w00t:

Ok, i'll do a clean install on my USB 1.1 system and test the USB tele modems tonight.

So the results are useful, tell me if there's anything awry or dis-recommended with the following steps (this is my normal procedure):

1) Wipe hard drive.

2) Install Win98SE.

3) Install Intel Chipset driver.

4) Install video driver.

5) Install IE6 SP1.

6) Install uSP 3.0 2012-Apr-23.

7) Install USB modems, one at a time.

Q1: Skip any step(s)? Reorder any?

The installation instructions for the modems state to run their setup program first, then reboot, then plug in the modem.

Q2: Do it that way... or do it by plugging in the modems without the manufacturer-supplied drivers installed?

Q3: What result/bug reports will be useful? Installation success/failure? Operational success/failure? BSODs?

- Doug B.

Q1: Skip any step(s)? Reorder any?

Everything looks good.

The installation instructions for the modems state to run their setup program first, then reboot, then plug in the modem.

Follow the instructions for installing the modem.

Q2: Do it that way... or do it by plugging in the modems without the manufacturer-supplied drivers installed?

I'm not really sure. Please list the drivers your modem uses.

Q3: What result/bug reports will be useful? Installation success/failure? Operational success/failure? BSODs?

- Doug B.

All, Thank you :w00t:

Regarding that install order, one thing may be worth mentioning: at times, I've had trouble installing certain drivers (for video cards, usually but also sound and others) due to their dependancy on newer DirectX libraries. Therefore, to be on the safe side, I'd stretch to first installing the OS, then DirectX (latest supported version depending on OS - that is 8.0a for Win95 and 9.0c/2007 for 98SE/ME) and only then the drivers. But that's to be established on a per-hardware basis - just keep this in mind if anything doesn't seem to work quite right.

Edited by Drugwash

Please list the drivers your modem uses.

This is a relevant listing of the installation zip for one modem (Actiontec EX560LKU -- this is a combo serial/USB modem):

2,175,846 setup.exe
<dir> INF/
<dir> INF/INF_USB_PL/
<dir> INF/INF_USB_PL/Win98ME/
22,396 INF/INF_USB_PL/Win98ME/prSeEnum.sys
9,841 INF/INF_USB_PL/Win98ME/PSERENUM.VXD
33,300 INF/INF_USB_PL/Win98ME/SER9PL.SYS
2,281 INF/INF_USB_PL/Win98ME/SERSPL.INF
26,711 INF/INF_USB_PL/Win98ME/SERSPL.VXD
8,832 INF/INF_USB_PL/Win98ME/SERWPL.INF
<dir> INF/INF_EX560LKA_V31/
<dir> INF/INF_EX560LKA_V31/Win98/
7,910 INF/INF_EX560LKA_V31/Win98/MDMATEX.CAT
57,586 INF/INF_EX560LKA_V31/Win98/MDMATEX.INF

And this is the listing of the installation zip for the other modem (Dynex DX-M300 -- USB only):

<dir> Win98SE/
168,152 Win98SE/242004usa8.exe
65,536 Win98SE/CARPDLL.DLL
4,608 Win98SE/carpserv.exe
248,858 Win98SE/CNXStd.cty
316,928 Win98SE/csacpl.cpl
27 Win98SE/CUSBUT2.cat
3,265 Win98SE/CUSBUT2.inf
27 Win98SE/CUSBUTm.cat
25,574 Win98SE/CUSBUTm.inf
23 Win98SE/disk1
6,633 Win98SE/firmware.bin
153,984 Win98SE/HSFHWCD2.sys
585,856 Win98SE/HSF_CNXT.sys
1,067,008 Win98SE/HSF_DP.sys
479,232 Win98SE/Hxfsetup.exe
69,632 Win98SE/MdmXSdk.dll
11,011 Win98SE/MDMXSDK.sys
1,400,842 Win98SE/modem.cab
27 Win98SE/OUSBUT2.cat
3,277 Win98SE/OUSBUT2.inf
27 Win98SE/OUSBUTm.cat
27,705 Win98SE/OUSBUTm.inf
22,400 Win98SE/STRMDISP.SYS

If it would be of any help, i can PM you the INF files.

- Doug B.

Regarding that install order, one thing may be worth mentioning: at times, I've had trouble installing certain drivers (for video cards, usually but also sound and others) due to their dependancy on newer DirectX libraries. Therefore, to be on the safe side, I'd stretch to first installing the OS, then DirectX <snip> But that's to be established on a per-hardware basis - just keep this in mind if anything doesn't seem to work quite right.

Thanks for this great piece of advice -- it's definitely a keeper for my future installation procedure on my main systems!

In this case though, it's an older laptop. From the driver docs, it seems that DirectX 6 is the max supported in video and DX 5 is the max in audio, so raw 98SE covers 'em both.

But the future, i guess i'll just havta deal with VGA resolution while installing core OS stuff.... :wacko:

(latest supported version depending on OS - that is 8.0a for Win95 and 9.0c/2007 for 98SE/ME) and only then the drivers.

Speaking of which, is there a more-recent *Unofficial* DirectX version for 98SE than the Unofficial DX 9.0c Aug 2007 from MDGX's site? (He describes it as: "OLD Unofficial DX 9.0c Redist Full + Managed DirectX (MDX) 32-bit for Windows 98 SE/ME [38.6 MB]".)

- Doug B.

Edited by DougB

Ok, here are the results from installing two different USB modems, on a semi-clean Win98SE install (see my previous posts), with uSP 3.0 final 2012-Apr-23, on a USB 1.1 system. It's turning out more complicated than i anticipated -- i'm getting the sense that the modems might be incompatible with each other when installed on the same system... even when not plugged in at the same time! But it could also be a quirk in the laptop hardware -- i need to investigate further. At any rate, i hope this is useful, as i'm not exactly sure what issues to address:

1) Actiontec EX560LKU USB/Serial 56K External Modem: I installed this one first, and it seemed to install without problems. I followed manufacturer instructions (do not plug in modem; run Setup.exe; plug in modem; Windows detects hardware and installs drivers). The message boxes flew by pretty quickly, but it looked like a bunch of auxiliary stuff was installed (USB-to-serial bridge, etc). Afterwards, Device Manager indicated the device was working properly, and Control Panel > Modem Properties > Diagnostics > More Info displayed reasonable results for the ATIx commands. There were no BSODs when disconnecting or reconnecting the USB cable. Surprisingly, under Device Manager > Modem > Driver > Driver File Details, the only file listed was: vmcomm.vxd

2) Dynex DX-M300 56K Data/Fax (USB-only) Modem: Might not be able to co-exist with the other USB modem! I installed this one after the above. Installation was quirky -- it did not proceed according to manufacturer's documentation. One component, "Wave Device for Voice Modem", resulted in a Code 28 (device not installed) error message in Device Manager (yellow exclamation icon). Reinstall Driver did not fix it. Nevertheless, DM indicated device was working properly. Unfortunately, Control Panel > Modem Properties > Diagnostics > More Info could not connect to the modem for ATIx-command results. The system *insisted* on putting this modem on COM4 (other USB/serial modem was COM3), even though the other modem was not plugged in, and i could find no provision for changing it (no Resources tab in DM)!

When i uninstalled both modems and reinstalled the Dynex by itself, it did go on COM3, and the ATIx commands then showed reasonable results.

But when i then reinstalled the Actiontec modem, that went to COM3, the Dynex was changed to COM4, and Dynex ATIx diagnostics again failed. Like i said, perhaps a laptop hardware issue... i'll see what i can find out.

When i get some time, i'll do a clean re-install of Windows and install the Dynex modem by itself to see how it goes.

A problem in testing performance further is that i don't have any current dial-up numbers to connect to! Maybe i'll try to dig up the old number that i used to connect to work -- i wonder if it might still be active....

- Doug B.

Thanks again gerislamico :thumbup.

Do you think you can make the avi/ico up to 3.9 :blink:

If not, I can just leave it at 3.1 and add a revision number after every update.

I think 3.2, 3.3, 3.4 might be more reasonable. I also have 3.1 ready since you have

posted the 3.1 avi. Many thanks to all of you.

EDIT: extended post

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD