Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

What Browser Do You Prefer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Broswer? (110 member(s) have cast votes)

What Broswer Do You Prefer

1. Internet Explorer (23 votes [23.00%])

Percentage of vote: 23.00%

2. Mozilla Firefox (69 votes [69.00%])

Percentage of vote: 69.00%

3. Opera (8 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

4. Ace Explorer (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Netscape (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Mocht4R

Mocht4R

I r teh PWNTSER!

• PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Joined 11-November 05
I personally prefer Mozilla by far :thumbup :thumbup
"The important thing is to never stop questioning"-Albert Einstein

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Synapse

Synapse

*Previously Bi0haZarD*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Joined 29-July 04
Mozilla Firefox here, used to be a hardcore IE fanboy.. but now you can't even look up the news without getting 50 types of spyware on IE.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

WoRdUp48

WoRdUp48

• PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Joined 05-September 01
i can't live without extensions anymore! its gotta be Firefox for me :)

Jeremy

Jeremy

Casual Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts
  • Joined 24-June 04
Opera = secure, customizable, powerhouse out of the box.

cyberloner

cyberloner

CyberMania.ws

• PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Joined 19-July 05
mozilla........
CyberMania
AMD FX 8350 Vishera | Scythe Ninja 2 | ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 | Micron VALUE DDR3 2X 4GB 1333MHZ (OC 1866MHZ) | SAPPHIRE HD7770 | 27" Samsung P2770H | 2X WD 2TB Black | CM iGreen Power 600W | Klipsch ProMedia GMX A-2.1 | X-FI Titanium | CM ELITE 430

Nerwin

Nerwin

Photographer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
  • Joined 31-May 05
Mozilla Firefox 1.5

EDIT: I also like Opera too.

Edited by computerMan, 04 December 2005 - 08:17 AM.

Desktop: Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.8ghz || G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 2133 || ASUS P8Z77-V LK || 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD || 640gb WD SATA HDD || Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || Corsair TX650M || ASUS 24X SATA DVD Burner || Fractal Designs Arc Midi || Windows 7 64-bit 

peter phillips

peter phillips

• 10 posts
  • Joined 17-September 05
Mozilla Firefox :thumbup

oldwolf

oldwolf

Wolf

• PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Joined 11-May 05
I must be old fashioned but I still prefer IE.
I dont know why, but I dont like tabs either. I open everything in a new window whether Im using IE or FF.
And the chorus heard was that of beasts,
Over the hushed calm of winter echoed the wolfsong.

MCT

MCT

MSFN Junkie

• 3,244 posts
  • Joined 19-May 04
i obviously voted opera, if you have this , how would you need anything else :D :w00t: Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image
Windows 7 32Bit 2GB Ram 120GB HDD (Laptop), Windows 8 4GB Ram 1TB HDD (Desktop) Windows XP SP3 VM with enhancements!

flupke

flupke

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 24-May 05

i obviously voted opera, if you have this , how would you need anything else

You need something to get rid of the afvertisements!
I use Internet Explorer with AdsFilter and I never have spyware and not many ads.

MCT

MCT

MSFN Junkie

• 3,244 posts
  • Joined 19-May 04
ads are ads. opera is free. u can get ad blockers if u want
Posted Image Posted Image
Windows 7 32Bit 2GB Ram 120GB HDD (Laptop), Windows 8 4GB Ram 1TB HDD (Desktop) Windows XP SP3 VM with enhancements!

rikgale

rikgale

uA lover

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Joined 01-November 04
What about the Maxthon browser, or have I got to vote IE???

atomizer

atomizer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Joined 24-December 04
used IE forever and always liked it, but got tired of having to constantly keep an eye on security settings and having run 2 or 3 3rd party apps to keep it clean (app for spyware, BHO's, etc., and another for ads) and still being at high risk. IE hasn't changed in in forever and it's just patch after patch after patch. i also never like the fact that MS insists on making it difficult to remove contents from the 'temp internet files' directory (index.dat files), which makes it easy for law enforcement to use it against you. although i don't participate in illegal activities, it's the principle of the **** thing. now, i no longer even have that dir (removed with autoruns).

tried Opera briefly, but found it's not nearly as configurable as FF IMO. however i'd recommenced Opera for anyone who wants a good, secure and fairly feature rich browser out-of-the-box with a minimum of fuss.

over the years i've tried FF a few times and couldn't see what all the fuss was about. now that i've been using it exclusively for probably close to a year, i DO see what all the fuss is about :) for me, there is no other browser. out of the box it's very slim and very fast. add all the extensions you want to give it the functionality YOU want. the downsides i've found is not sorting bookmarks alphabetically with folders first (there are work-a-rounds) and slower application loading times (and again, there are work-a-rounds). as far as not being able to access windows update, i consider that a plus. with IE, OE, WMP and many other windows annoyances and security hole riddled apps removed (nLite), there is far less use for windows updates. MFSN hosts a list of updates (http://www.msfn.org/...showtopic=31886) and then there's an auto-update for FF users here: http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/ .

Edited by atomizer, 04 December 2005 - 07:21 AM.

Gouki

Gouki

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Joined 19-March 05
I used IE for a long time, and always loved it. But it was boring to download and install Hotfixes or Patches for it every month or so.

Since I dont use Windows Update (and its possible to use it with FF now), I had no reasons to stay with IE.

Security was the main reason that made me change to Firefox ... Now, I dont even think about using another Microsoft browser!

Firefox all the way!

atomizer

atomizer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Joined 24-December 04

...Since I dont use Windows Update (and its possible to use it with FF now)...

interesting you mention that. i had heard that MS released an extension or plugin for FF users to be able to access WU. i spent some time searching and found many articles, but no links. also didn't find anything on the M$ website.

Mocht4R

Mocht4R

I r teh PWNTSER!

• PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Joined 11-November 05
For people who say that IE has pop up blockers and is the best, who cares, you still get a million spyware each time you go to a site! Opera and Firefox have built in popup blockers and you can take the ads off in opera and in firefox. They are much more safer to use on the net, and have more customizing options, such as; extentions, skins, ad ons, etc. I recently downloaded Opera and its quite good. Firefox has extentions, but opera has more options, like the wand, the voice, and you can take off images if you want.

Edited by bms, 04 December 2005 - 11:17 AM.

Mocht4R

Mocht4R

I r teh PWNTSER!

• PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Joined 11-November 05

What about the Maxthon browser, or have I got to vote IE???

Yes you do, because it runs on Internet Explorer engine. I assume you get the same amount of spyware, popups, adware, etc.?

Dagonet'

Dagonet'

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Joined 07-October 04
Netcaptor Pro....

I haven't used another browser for at least five years......Although I've downloaded and played with all the others...Netcaptor Pro has a security configuration and toys that I can't find elsewhere...

So for my Personal Prefernce..It's Netcap Pro.. :)

Stops the grungies.. :thumbup http://www.netcaptor.com/

Click On *Take The Tour*....

Edited by Dagonet', 04 December 2005 - 12:54 PM.

atomizer

atomizer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Joined 24-December 04

...Netcaptor Pro has a security configuration and toys that I can't find elsewhere...

can you elaborate on its security and "toys" that you can't find elsewhere?
just curious.

Dagonet'

Dagonet'

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Joined 07-October 04

...Netcaptor Pro has a security configuration and toys that I can't find elsewhere...

can you elaborate on its security and "toys" that you can't find elsewhere?
just curious.

Take the Tour.... ;)

The tabbed system is by far in my preference....Clean up is immediate...Locks and Blocks anything you want to..

Just alot of little items I haven't found elsewhere.. I don't care for FF's Tabbed System...Nothing like NetCaps..

------------------------------------------------------------

You IE Folks might want to have a gander at this site..Secunia......As of Nov 21/2005

Secunia News

2005-11-21
Proof of Concept code has been released for a 6 months old Internet Explorer vulnerability. Criticality rating increased to Extremely Critical.

The vulnerability has been confirmed on a fully patched system with Internet Explorer 6.0 and Microsoft Windows XP SP2, and Internet Explorer 6.0 and Microsoft Windows 2000 SP4.

http://secunia.com/advisories/15546/

Mocht4R

Mocht4R

I r teh PWNTSER!

• PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Joined 11-November 05
Netcaptor kind of looks like IE, but it has tabs. I'm still sticking with my FREE browser though. Or should i say browsers, im kind of stuck between two. FireFox and Opera. They are both good but they both have there differences too. :}

Dagonet'

Dagonet'

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Joined 07-October 04
I think i bought my copy of NetCap back in 2000.....It's seen alot of changes since the early days.. ;)

http://img.photobuck...tson11/NetL.jpg ...I am currently using Build 7.5.4

Never has let me down, once you buy the original licence you own it and all the updates for life...It's an IE powered engine with all the extras.

A browser becomes an attachment to many of us, that soon becomes *Home*..As long as the security features are intact and strong I think Personal Preference carries a big issue in choosing the right one for the individual.

Netcap was the first browser years ago with tabbed browsing, it's always updating itself and Mr. Stiles of Stilesoft.Inc has always treated me good/fair and with strong morals in protecting my privacy...

That says alot in my eyes....Always will.

Like I say though..Personal Preference has alot to do with what we soon become comfortable with.

I run Adaware SE Plus on one of my machines....Webroots Spysweeper on the other two machines...So I don't concern much about what happens to try and infest my browsing habits.

(By the way..Adaware SE Plus is my fav out of all the sweepers I've tried over the years..)

Browse with your preference...Make sure your butt is well covered...Chasing pests is boring.. LOL!!

My wife's New IBM T40...(Which her work purchased for her...I know, I know)...Always has it's share of cleaning for me to do....She runs on a closed system with about 2800 or so others on the internal server....They are always telling her, everything is well maintained... *Snickers*.. ;)

Edited by Dagonet', 04 December 2005 - 02:18 PM.

atomizer

atomizer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Joined 24-December 04

Take the Tour.... ;)

The tabbed system is by far in my preference....Clean up is immediate...Locks and Blocks anything you want to..

Just alot of little items I haven't found elsewhere.. I don't care for FF's Tabbed System...Nothing like NetCaps..

i did, which is why i asked :)
don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to say this is better than that, but i'd like to point out differences and shortcomings of other browsers (mainly IE, not NetCaps). see this screenshot as an example.

upper left is the main menu, of course. to the right, i've arranged most of the standard buttons on the same toolbar to save space. two i'd like to point out are the arrow with the red circle and the gray icon. the former toggles redirect URL's (bypassing redirects) and the latter is the User Agent Switcher which makes FF appear to webservers as whatever browser you want it to appear as.

below the main toolbar is the GoogleBar Lite toolbar. this is NOT from Google and does not update itself automatically and install annoying crap. optionally, it displays a webpage context menu as well.

below that is the All In One Sidebar where i'm showing the extensions. that thing, by itself, is incredible. it is highly configurable and can display extensions, bookmarks, history, a web page and much more. easily opened/closed several ways. this can also display a webpage context menu with some useful tools.

overlaying the sidebar is the standard options dialog, showing off the FasterFox menu.

further down is the Bookmarks Manager and below that is the Adblock Filterset.G options dialog which goes hand in hand with Adblock Plus (upper right). the Filterset.G updater syncs with a well maintained ad blocking list and does so automatically, at the users option. it also saves my user created filters after an update.

Adblock Plus can easily be used to block most anything at all and is easily accessed, configured and turned on/off from the "Adblock" text button on the lower right side of the status bar. custom blocking is easily accomplished by right-clicking on the offending element of a webpage. supports black and white listing as well.

also located on the status bar, the green "C" is a cookie manager that is super easy to use for allowing (always, session), blocking or removing cookies on a per-site basis.

to the right of it is a blue "S" (covered by a red circle because i didn't allow JS for MFSN). it is similar to Adblock, but is used to block/allow JS, Flash, Bookmarklets, etc., on a per-site or global basis.

in the lower middle is the DOM Inspector which is good for web developers and above it is the JS console.

to the right of DOM is the Themes manager for skinning FF (i have none installed).

and there's a lot more as well. the heart of FF, it's configuration files, are not shown. for instance, 'about:config' can be typed in the address bar to access many additional settings.

Dagonet'

Dagonet'

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Joined 07-October 04

and there's a lot more as well. the heart of FF, it's configuration files, are not shown. for instance, 'about:config' can be typed in the address bar to access many additional settings.

Yep..... FF is a good browser...I've had it off and on a few times. It'll never be my main browser, but it's nice to have choices.. ;)

Edited by Dagonet', 04 December 2005 - 03:09 PM.

sonu27

sonu27

Panjabi By Nature

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • Joined 27-August 04
I chose Firefox 1.5.

Edited by sonu27, 04 December 2005 - 03:31 PM.