Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

What Browser Do You Prefer

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Broswer? (110 member(s) have cast votes)

What Broswer Do You Prefer

1. Internet Explorer (23 votes [23.00%])

Percentage of vote: 23.00%

2. Mozilla Firefox (69 votes [69.00%])

Percentage of vote: 69.00%

3. Opera (8 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

4. Ace Explorer (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Netscape (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Aaron_

Aaron_

• PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05
Firefox all the way. :yes:

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

DL.

DL.

Tweaker or whatever I happen to be focused on at the moment..

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Joined 05-March 05
Firefox, but I keep IE because some (very few!) sites work better with it.

Firefox:s handling/placement of settings and bookmarks (files deep down in the folder structure compared to the registry and the userprofile in IE) is its biggest disadvantage.

Zxian

Zxian

Scroll up - see the Google bar?

• Super Moderator
  • 5,066 posts
  • Joined 30-September 04

tried Opera briefly, but found it's not nearly as configurable as FF IMO. however i'd recommenced Opera for anyone who wants a good, secure and fairly feature rich browser out-of-the-box with a minimum of fuss.

Fairly feature rich? Talk out-of-the-box experience, since that's what most people know about. The only people I know who actually use extensions for Firefox are people who are semi-tech-savvy. The rest of the people have just come along for the ride, and run plain-jane Firefox.

Opera has most of the features that common people add extensions for anyways:

- Proper tabbed browsing (target="_blank" --> New tab, not new window)
- Mouse Gestures
- Wand (password manager)
- Smooth Scrolling
- Fully customizable keyboard shortcuts

Sure, you don't have the possibility of expansion like you do with extensions, but they're a double-edged sword. Most of the crashes that people get in Firefox are from either poorly written extensions, or conflicts between two extensions.

I know you and I have had other debates about this, but I thought I'd defend the Opera standpoint once more... ;)

atomizer

atomizer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Joined 24-December 04
heck man, i thought i WAS defending Opera :)
it's a good **** browser. period. but for the tech savvy, as you put it, who enjoy tweaking and virtually unlimited customization (me), i would recommend FF.

also, FF either natively has (proper tabbed browsing -- new tab, not window, a password manager, smooth scrolling), or can have with tweaks or addons (if you want it), all the items you listed.

and yes, poorly written extensions can be a problem. i've experienced that myself. they also slow the loading of the browser. however, for me anyway, the very rare problem with extensions and the slightly slower loading is worth every bit of the additional functionality. i always read the reviews of extensions before trying them, plus, the more i use FF, the better idea i have on what extensions may conflict with others and how to configure them.

still, in the end, it's all up to you!

Zxian

Zxian

Scroll up - see the Google bar?

• Super Moderator
  • 5,066 posts
  • Joined 30-September 04
@atomizer - Yup! That pretty much sums it up. :D

LLXX

LLXX

MSFN Junkie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,399 posts
  • Joined 04-December 05
I've been using IE 5.0 for nearly 6 years with no problems of adware/spyware/popups etc.

That's because I secure it for Internet zone (*everything* that could potentially cause harm is disabled) and add only sites that I trust to Trusted Sites Zone (almost everything enabled).

Tried the latest Opera recently. The configuration is confusing and less configurative than IE.

Tried FF too... it seems slower than IE.

Mocht4R

Mocht4R

I r teh PWNTSER!

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Joined 11-November 05
Download firefox and get the fasterfox extension, it will make firefox much faster.
"The important thing is to never stop questioning"-Albert Einstein

JoeMSFN

JoeMSFN

• PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Joined 28-September 04
Must admit I've never tried Opera....
Before I discovered Firefox/Firebird/Phoenix... (Think I started @ version 0.7), I was partial to the new Netscape 6 although it kinda sucked as it was buggy (or should I say sucked as it was kinda buggy?) Netscape 7 was real cool... (much more stable)

It started with the ditch MS and try to use free stuff, but after using both, I've found my two top (real) reasons I like Firefox (over IE).....
  • Since Firefox stores it's bookmarks in one file (html), it let's me have two different bookmark pages with the same title!
    Since IE stores a favorite as a file, if I want to bookmark a web page and the site keeps the same "title" tag, I have to rename the previous favorite before I can save the current page.
  • When I visit web sites with micro fine print, I can resize any text whereas with IE, it seems to only enlarge a limited amount of text on the screen.

Edited by JoeMSFN, 08 December 2005 - 12:54 AM.

raza

raza

Smiles are free 4ever!

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Joined 08-September 04
before i liked only IE but when I got FF i just loved it.
Images in signatures shall NOT exceed a total of 300x100 and 80kb.

XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC

MSFN SuperB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
  • Joined 13-October 03
anyone have any problems with crashing or accidentally closing windows/tabs or electricity going off causing u to lose all your tabs/windows?

then use opera, if u manage to crash it + other stuff i said, your tabs/windows will come back when u run opera again. and since it reads them from cache its pretty fast...

also now with opera 9 u can customize a lof of things just like FF.
i use all the functions in opera.
there are links in a page? in ff and in ie u'd have to copy them 1 by 1. but with opera just press f4 and click on links and it'll have to the links listed. and u can even search copy/paste..
usefull when i'm dling stuff.

also other feature i use often is the show pictures/hide pictures tab. i sometimes just want to read stuff no need for pictures, faster!!.

ow do i need to tell u about the built in RSS support, lovely!
+ browsing back the history is so fast!,

atomizer

atomizer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Joined 24-December 04
ALL of the above is available in FF as well, some natively and some through extensions, IF you want them :)

i tried Opera as well, just a month or so ago (would that have been v9? - the one available when they were giving away licenses). like i said in an earlier post, if you want a browser that requires little fuss and has a decent amount of features built-in, then stay away from FF. Opera is the way to go. if you don't mind getting your hands just a tad bit grimy and you want the capability to customize 'till your teeth bleed, then nothing in the main stream can touch FF -- nothing i've found anyway. FF is what ever YOU want it to be.

Mocht4R

Mocht4R

I r teh PWNTSER!

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Joined 11-November 05
Yup, i tried Opera about a week or two ago, and 2 things ticked me off.

1. Opera is much slower than firefox (i use the fasterfox extension).

2. The stupid image toggle button, i would always have to go back and toggle it to view cached images, or normal images.

So right off the bat i uninstalled Opera and went back to my beloved FireFox (ahhhh yea)!! :P

atomizer

atomizer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Joined 24-December 04
yeah, it's difficult to break old habits. i did the same thing with FF and promptly went back to IE. not anymore though :)

DigeratiPrime

DigeratiPrime

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,550 posts
  • Joined 18-August 04
I prefer and voted for Firefox. But its close.
I prefer the look of Firefox, dont ask why.
I like having my bookmarks in a toolbar with drop down folders. Ive heard this can be done with Opera.
I like the page info window which lets me download stuff easier.
More websites work with Firefox, gmail doesnt work that good with Opera.
Firefox has some powerful extensions ex) All-In-One Sidebar, TabMixPlus, WebDeveloper, Sort Bookmarks, Chatzilla, CuteMenus - Crystal SVG.

I also use OperaUSB, a portable version of Opera. Opera does have its pluses:
when i minimize it the memory usage goes down by ~90%
Opera still goes back and forth between pages faster
the scrolling is very nice
integrated Email & IRC
Smooth glowing buttons

:)

Edited by DigeratiPrime, 10 December 2005 - 02:47 AM.

Recommended Software: KeePass | Microsoft ICE | VisualWget | Vitamin D Video |

Mocht4R

Mocht4R

I r teh PWNTSER!

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Joined 11-November 05
Has anyone heard of Mozilla firebird? The "next generation" browser? If anyone has, and is using it, can you please give me more info about it? thanks.

Martijn

Martijn

It's-a-me, Mario!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Joined 28-July 04
I've been using IE since windows 98, but I'm now a true FireFox fan for more than a year :)

weebobster

weebobster
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 26-December 04
Opera - sweet as :hello:

D_block

D_block

The Return of the greatest

• PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Joined 05-May 07
I used to used both IE7 and Firefox, but now i only use IE . i never got a problem or spyware with it and there is no need for 2 browsers on my pc :ph34r:

plus most spyware is picked up on xxx.sites <---- 18 and over lol . hmm....
Activate yuh feelings
Press ah on switch
~ D_block ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN