Two new 'Windows Updates'.

Dear I dunno if it would really work but I'm hoping it should work for you.

Here's one attempt u can make to avoid it being installed.

As usual go to Microsoft Update & get the system checked. In the results pane you'll see KB905474 listed too. Check mark this update only to install & leave all others for now, if any.

Once the new dialog box for downloading the update opens you'll get a EULA screen.

Click on I DECLINE here. You'll get another dialog box stating you don't want to download now & not be informed later either (Or, a msg with something of that sort if I remember correctly).

Hopefully checking this option can save you from having it listed every now n then.

I downloaded the update on my machine so can't really be 100% sure if it works.

Have a gr8 day ahead........

Ankit Mathur

@druiddk: Thank's for the link.

For KB905474, this is a cricital update. My machine is set to automaticly download and install critical updates, but this one I would like to exclude, is that possible? (Maybe there's a way to set it to be hidden in WindowsUpdate.log or similar?)

Wow, a new way for Microsoft to annoy us. I installed this update and had no problems, because I have a valid license. Once verified, it will terminate.

But the update will annoy those that do not have a valid key because it takes up valuable system resources. Even after you turn off the notification. It just sits in the system tray.

So here is how you remove it.

There is no way to kill the WGATray.exe from the Task Manager as it will just launch another one.

Start the computer in Safe Mode, then open a Command Prompt and enter

del /q /f \windows\system32\WgaTray.exe

del /q /f \windows\system32\dllcache\WgaTray.exe

Minimize the Command Prompt

Start

Run

Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify

Locate the subkey WGALogon and delete the entire folder

Go back to the Command Prompt and enter

del /q /f \windows\system32\dllcache\wgalogon.dll

Restart computer.

Login as per usual, open a Command Prompt and enter

del /q /f \windows\system32\wgalogon.dll

Close the Command Prompt

It should now be completely removed.

Windows will have this Critical Update as installed even though we manually removed it. It will not prompt you to install it in the future.

Edit: ankitmathur's method does work. I have verified it. After the update is hidden, it will prompt you that a critical update is hidden everytime you go to Windows or Microsoft Update.

Edited by Gee

Wow the people around my area that were suprised by this one lol. Been working my bottom off trying to help people get "Real CD Keys" from Microsoft lol Geez I never realized how many people didnt understand the way to register thier Windows. Microsoft has had about 50 calls from me in the last 2 days!