High Vs Low density memory

betamax

Hi All,

I have an Asus A7V266 motherboard and am looking to buy a Gig stick of PC2100. There are two types I can get, high density for around 60, or low density for around 100.

High density is cheaper because it uses higher capacity chips, this less materials and costs less. The problem is, some mobos weren't around long enough to be compatible with that new technology.

The low density chips are compatible with everything, but they cost more. My chipset (Via KT266) was listed as one of the chipsets compatable with high density ram, but I'm not sure if that goes for all mobos or not.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if my mobo will support a high density stick of 1gb PC2100 ram (128x4).

Thanks!

I know I can mix and match different capacities (512mb and 1024mb), but I'm just worried about different densities (64x8 16chip and 128x4 8chip). My 512 stick currently has 16 chips on it, which would suggest that it's low density.

I'm looking to buy this bad boy, because the price can't be beat. But it's listed as high density.

http://www.linemicro.com/product.php?id=14117

Low density chips cost like 40 bucks more!