Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

[Question] - virtual memory w/ 2gig of ram

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

ripken204

ripken204

The Hardware Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts
  • Joined 23-December 04
i have 2gigs or ram, what should i set my virtual memory to?

Title Edited - Please follow new forum rules from now on
-- Martin L

Desktop: || lappped Q6700 w/ lapped TRUE || ASUS P5Q Deluxe|| Sapphire 4870 1GB || Mushkin Ascent XP2-8500 (2x2GB) || 2 x WD6400AAKS || Corsair HX620W || Lian-Li PC-60FB || 2 x BenQ G2400WD || Vista Ultimate 64bit || Samsung SH-S223Q || Logitech MX518 || Logitech Ultra-X || SteelSeries SX || Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 || ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe ||
Server: || E5200 w/ XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 || ASUS P5Q-EM || EVGA 8800GTS G92 w/ Accelero S1 R2 || G.SKILL 6400 2x2GB || 1 x WD6400AAKS || 4 x 1TB Samsung F1 || SeaSonic M12II SS-500GM || Antec Three Hundred || Samsung SH-203BL || Ubuntu 8.10 ||

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Aegis

Aegis

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
  • Joined 12-March 05
Some applications such as Photoshop requires a page file, but with that amount, I don't think you need more than 100MB, if at all.

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,252 posts
  • Joined 09-September 01
That depends - since the Windows kernel requires up to 470MB of paging file space, I'd say stick with at least 500MB to keep the system from having to resize the paging file due to running low on virtual memory (this can cause paging file fragmentation, which is to be avoided if at all possible). Also, if you plan on using large files (or large amounts of little files) in daily use, having a large paging file will actuallly *increase* performance, because of the way in which Windows handles the file system cache - it is stored entirely in kernel paged pool memory, which itself is stored entirely in the paging file. Having enough space (again, up to 470MB) in your paging file will increase system performance if you plan on using your system in such a way.

If you ever have a system crash and need to debug the memory dump, you'll need at least 2GB + 50MB to hold all of the data, but if you don't foresee the need for such an occurence, I'd say 500MB is best.

Remember that Windows may still attempt "page out" virtual address pages mapped in physical memory to the paging file if those pages are not accessed after a good amount of time, as necessary. It may do this even if you have most of your physical memory available.
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
Read this nice article:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

Personally I would set it to 500 Mb fixed.

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users