[Question] - How to clean the pagin file once ?

albator

because I want to try making an image of the C drive without the paging file. I would like to reboot and use acronis trueimage boot cd to clone my drive without anyspace taken by th epaging file. In the past my paging file was on another partion, but I learn that to optimize disk usage thas was not good...

Your acronis image does not use any more space for the pagefile. It's created as a zero-byte file within the archive. You'll never need to worry about the pagefile or hibernation file when it comes to Acronis True Image.

u can just disable the page file. it'll prompt u to restart

b4 restarting u can use boot time defragmentation to fill those places that the pagefile used.

also http://www.sysinternals.com has a very nice program called page defrag, its used for defragging your page file and system hive files..

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PageDefrag.html

after these use smartplacement and free space consolidation with perfect disk to get the max from your hdd...

note: putting the paging file on another partition is useless and might decrease performance. consider putting it to another hdd or get more ram and disable the paging completely. after all if windows really needs the paging file after having 512-1024mb ram it'll create & increase the paging file on your c drive...

Edited by XtremeMaC

Your acronis image does not use any more space for the pagefile. It's created as a zero-byte file within the archive. You'll never need to worry about the pagefile or hibernation file when it comes to Acronis True Image.

Interesting.

What about Norton Ghost? Does it also exclude the pagefile?

What if you delete the pagefile after creating the image using Ghost Explorer?

Interesting.

What about Norton Ghost? Does it also exclude the pagefile?

What if you delete the pagefile after creating the image using Ghost Explorer?

I'm not entirely sure about Norton Ghost, since I haven't used it. You should give that a try and let us know. It would be useful for people who do use Ghost as their backup tool. :)

I'm not entirely sure about Norton Ghost, since I haven't used it. You should give that a try and let us know. It would be useful for people who do use Ghost as their backup tool. :)

OK, I'll give it a try. Where is the default location and what is the default name of the pagefile? I'll search using Ghost Explorer and delete that file. If I'm not mistaken its simply called pagefile in the root of the OS drive. (I'm not sure if Ghost Explorer lets you delete files. I know you can extract files. But I can experiment on this one).