Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Universal Extractor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
872 replies to this topic

nitro322

nitro322

Advanced Member

• Developer
  • 387 posts
  • Joined 05-November 04

Please note that this project has its own subforum now. It is here. Feel free to strart creating new topics to make communication easier.

Sweet. Now I know I've truly hit the big time. :-)

I've never been an admin of this particular bulletin board system. Is there some reference guide or something available on common admin tasks, such as setting a thread sticky, locking threads, etc.?

I am able to consistently preserve the PATH variable on Win98SE, regardless of AutoIt error state, by running it from a batch file set to hide its window and output:
<SNIP>

IIsi 50MHz, thanks for the detailed post. Hopefully it help some others that are still using Windows 9x. However, I should let you know that as of 1.6 Windows 9x moves from "unsupported" to "won't work" status. Due to some changes in AutoIt, Universal Extractor will literally fail to run going forward. Version 1.5 will continue to be around, of course, but that's the last release that will work, well, semi-work, under 9x.

Additional details can be found by searching this thread.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

nitro322

nitro322

Advanced Member

• Developer
  • 387 posts
  • Joined 05-November 04

I've never been an admin of this particular bulletin board system. Is there some reference guide or something available on common admin tasks, such as setting a thread sticky, locking threads, etc.?

Never mind, got it figured out now. :-)

war59312

war59312

Will's Blog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Joined 07-June 02

(war59312 @ Feb 20 2008, 02:35 PM) *
Unable to extract: http://intype.info/f...finally/#Item_0

This works fine in the dev version. It's probably an Inno Setup issue. Try downloading the test 0.20 version of innounp and replacing the innounp.exe binary in your existing install then extracting again.

Excellent, thanks! Indeed works fine now.

Statistics for Ad Muncher v4.94.34121/5629 (Free) 

Adverts removed: 6,649,007
Bandwidth saved: 195,746 MB 
Counter started: April 2, 2003

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,257 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

When can we expect a new version?
Posted Image

nitro322

nitro322

Advanced Member

• Developer
  • 387 posts
  • Joined 05-November 04

When can we expect a new version?

I hate to give such a cliché answer, but "when it's done." For the most part, it is done. I just haven't had time to put together the final package, test, and release. I'm hoping to get to it sooner rather than later, though.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,257 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

ok, thx :)
Posted Image

Hanschke

Hanschke

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 29-May 04
maybe u can release it as beta or rc and we can test it for you :thumbup

North of Watford

North of Watford

Junior

• Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 12-October 07

Beginning with version 1.6, UniExtract will not work under Win 9x. Period. This is due to changes in recent versions of AutoIt.

Puzzled, AutoIt forum is only discussing discontinuing 9x and NT support. What tricky stuff in Universal Extractor is pushing the boundary?

Anyway, would it be possible to leave those of us who will be left behind with some hints of where the problems have been found on Win9x?

[Why do I want to continue to use Win9x? Its the usual conflict between improved OS and worsening licence conditions!]

Jeff

rdhw

rdhw
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 05-August 04

[*]legally possible - this precludes some filetypes, such as InstallShield v12 installers or StuffIt .sitx archives; while I can code support for them, I cannot legally redistribute the necessary utilities to extract them

There is a way forward. You may not be able to redistribute certain free unpackers, but the end-user can legitimately obtain such unpackers and add them to the Univeral Extractor\bin\ directory. Universal Extractor could detect the presence of these user-supplied unpackers, and then offer the appropriate upgraded functionality. The installer for Universal Extractor could leave behind a text file offering instructions on how to obtain the optional extras for the \bin\ directory.

blunden

blunden

• 17 posts
  • Joined 19-August 07
Could anyone send me InstallShield CAB File Viewer 12? None of the links I've found works anymore.

horsecharles

horsecharles

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Joined 21-January 05
QUOTE (horsecharles @ Nov 23 2007, 12:47 PM) Posted ImageNitro, I'm gonna cross-post here-- serves to bump up this thread as well...

Context menu entries for Universal Extractor have disappeared(for .zip, .msi & .exe), on Vista Home Premium Sp1(btw no such issues on Win XP SP3). I've tried reinstalling, w/ all possible context entries enabled and .zip associated w/ it, of course-- to no avail. Send To shortcut remains in place.
horsecharles, have you had any luck resolving this? I don't have access to a Vista system, so I'm pretty limited in what I can do to troubleshoot here. However, if you did find a solution, I think it'd be nice to post it here so that anyone having a similar issue can benefit.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
________

Near as i can tell... i attribute it to one of Vista's many improv-- err arbritrary, capricious, useless, undocumented changes:

it has to do mainly with the setting to list zip files as folders... this not only affects zip files, but exe and other file types as well.

Where's what happens when one right-clicks an exe, zip, etc. file(mind you, with just about all zip/extract utilities-- i have @ 10 installed)... EITHER OR(assuming of course, that ALL possible context menu extensions have been enabled in each utility) in order of highest probability:

1. All context entries disappear save for app name w/ a toggle arrow that when clicked reveals context menu entries for that app(though usually only a few, not all). This is the scenario for the majority.

2. And the case with Uni-- all context entries totally gone.

3. For one or two apps-- most context entries disappear, but a couple remain.

HOWEVER.... if in windows explorer-- in the left Folders pane-- when folder contents are expanded with zip files listed there as well... IF you then right-click a file 'in there only' all context entries appear as originally upon install... click 'that same file' in the right side Folder Contents and you will NOT get those context entries. Mind you that the only extension listed in folder pane would be zip :wacko: :realmad: :unsure: :angry: .

ale5000

ale5000

Divoratore di anime

• 49 posts
  • Joined 13-December 06
In the new version will be removed the dialog with title "Test" that appears when extracting some installers?

ale5000

ale5000

Divoratore di anime

• 49 posts
  • Joined 13-December 06
This file is wrongly detected as Installshield ( http://download.winz...m/wzcline22.exe ), it can be simply extracted with WinRAR.

mara-

mara-

Office Integrator Developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • Joined 19-February 07
I see that some people here mention version 1.6. Where is link to download it?

Cheers ;)

ale5000

ale5000

Divoratore di anime

• 49 posts
  • Joined 13-December 06

I see that some people here mention version 1.6. Where is link to download it?

Cheers ;)

Here: http://www.msfn.org/...495#entry681495

ale5000

ale5000

Divoratore di anime

• 49 posts
  • Joined 13-December 06
The file "TrIDDefs.TRD" of universal extractor is taken from TrIDs site unmodified or is it modified?

Edit: This file ( http://www.winace.com/files/ace26.exe ) is not extracted.

Edited by ale5000, 10 March 2008 - 03:30 PM.

mara-

mara-

Office Integrator Developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • Joined 19-February 07
Thanks ale5000.

Cheers ;)

j7n

j7n

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Joined 18-December 06
This Inno installer is not seen as one. Universal Extractor is attempting to open it with Sevenzip.

http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

DVDFabHDDecrypter4102.exe

mushu13

mushu13

• 41 posts
  • Joined 17-October 06

This Inno installer is not seen as one. Universal Extractor is attempting to open it with Sevenzip.

http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

DVDFabHDDecrypter4102.exe

Works fine with 1.6 beta, and innounp 0.20 test version.

Edited by mushu13, 11 March 2008 - 09:35 PM.

They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing, or ger. WOAH there they go!!!!!!!
~Otto

j7n

j7n

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Joined 18-December 06
I did not know there was a beta. I looked at this forum and didn't see an announcement. Please ignore that remark. I've already unpacked that archive using innounp, only complaint was about the frontend not working properly.

Edited by j7n, 12 March 2008 - 05:42 AM.

fred_gaou

fred_gaou

• 13 posts
  • Joined 17-January 07
Thanx for the v1.6 beta, seems to work fine.

I translated it into french

Please see the .ini file in attachement

Attached Files

- XP SP3
- nLite 1.4.9.1
- FF 3.5.* ^_^
- IE8 -_-

horsecharles

horsecharles

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Joined 21-January 05
OK... some things to report(remember, running Vista Home Premium w/ latest SP1):

1. The context menu had really been flummoxed-- as well entries like Run as Admin were gone, even for .msi... HOWEVER-- the context menu was unchanged / undamaged for SHORTCUTS of extensions in question: exe / zip / msi / etc. BUTTTT..... selecting those commands ie running a shortcut of an msi file as Admin, etc. resulted in "no action occurring"... i see this is as a frequently-mentioned problem in Vista web-wide BTW.

2. I fixed everything(after trying numerous expected fixes-- registry(added Run as Admin to context of each extension...to no avail...etc.), uninstall/reinstall, etc.-- here's how:

A. Simultaneously uninstalled: 7-z, 7zip, AlZip, IzArc, PeaZip, TugZip, Universal Extractor (sorry but have very little disposable time these days to post here, let alone experiment one app at a time).

B. Removed from context menu all leftover entries re those apps(used the module from Glary Utilities) EXCEPT for those of Universal Extractor, 7zip & ZipInstaller.

C. Re-installed latest versions of(with all file associations DEselected BUT all context menu entries selected in all of them): Universal Extractor(1.6 BETA), 7zip, IzArc... plus re-enabled context option in ZipInstaller.

Everything back to normal(even things like Run as Admin) except:

D. IzArc context entries will not appear in context menu.

E. Having not associated .zip with any particular app, double-clicking such a file opens up Universal Extractor.

4. Conclusion(s)???? Draw your own.... it was either:

F. One of the permanently-removed apps was the culprit.. especially since i now seem to remember some such context issues on other systems from years ago: win98, winXP. ORRRRR:

G. The sheer number of context entries(I run at high-resolution on a large monitor, and even then the context menu scrolled off the top and bottom). BTW, yes, was still able to access any entry thru the scroll arrows.

H. LAST BUT NOT LEAST: Universal Extractor is to be held blameless here.

Good Luck all.

QUOTE (horsecharles @ Nov 23 2007, 12:47 PM) Posted ImageNitro, I'm gonna cross-post here-- serves to bump up this thread as well...

Context menu entries for Universal Extractor have disappeared(for .zip, .msi & .exe), on Vista Home Premium Sp1(btw no such issues on Win XP SP3). I've tried reinstalling, w/ all possible context entries enabled and .zip associated w/ it, of course-- to no avail. Send To shortcut remains in place.
horsecharles, have you had any luck resolving this? I don't have access to a Vista system, so I'm pretty limited in what I can do to troubleshoot here. However, if you did find a solution, I think it'd be nice to post it here so that anyone having a similar issue can benefit.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
________

Near as i can tell... i attribute it to one of Vista's many improv-- err arbritrary, capricious, useless, undocumented changes:

it has to do mainly with the setting to list zip files as folders... this not only affects zip files, but exe and other file types as well.

Where's what happens when one right-clicks an exe, zip, etc. file(mind you, with just about all zip/extract utilities-- i have @ 10 installed)... EITHER OR(assuming of course, that ALL possible context menu extensions have been enabled in each utility) in order of highest probability:

1. All context entries disappear save for app name w/ a toggle arrow that when clicked reveals context menu entries for that app(though usually only a few, not all). This is the scenario for the majority.

2. And the case with Uni-- all context entries totally gone.

3. For one or two apps-- most context entries disappear, but a couple remain.

HOWEVER.... if in windows explorer-- in the left Folders pane-- when folder contents are expanded with zip files listed there as well... IF you then right-click a file 'in there only' all context entries appear as originally upon install... click 'that same file' in the right side Folder Contents and you will NOT get those context entries. Mind you that the only extension listed in folder pane would be zip :wacko: :realmad: :unsure: :angry: .

Edited by horsecharles, 19 April 2008 - 08:40 AM.

horsecharles

horsecharles

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Joined 21-January 05
Add ExtractNow & UPX to the context entries manually removed(these apps were NOT uninstalled though).

geezery

geezery

• PipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Joined 21-July 06
Is it possible for the developer to add support for .DAA (Poweriso) files.

http://aluigi.alterv...olz/daa2iso.zip

There is this daa2iso converter that can convert DAA file to ISO. I assume that Universal Extractor can then unpack the ISO file.

Hanschke

Hanschke

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 29-May 04
any news about the 1.6?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users