Universal Extractor

nitro322

I saw in the Todo list that you need a Spanish translator. I can help you with that. What do I have to do?

Actually, that's already been taken care of. There was some miscommunication, but it's been worked out now, and I just forgot to take that line out of the todo file.

Thanks for the offer, though. :)

would anyone be interested in a portable version of uniextract?

i thought it would be great if it can be made portable and run from any usb device on any pc... if you guys interested, i'll make one and probably contact Jared Breland regarding this...

would anyone be interested in a portable version of uniextract?

i thought it would be great if it can be made portable and run from any usb device on any pc... if you guys interested, i'll make one and probably contact Jared Breland regarding this...

The program was already a sort of portable type, you simply needed the installation directory to run the program. But since ver 1.5 involves context menu, so may be it needs installing. Otherwise it is usable from portable device as stand alone programe (if you wish you can upx all the sources to further reduce the size).

btw, nitro322, it was requested almost a year back, can we see cascaded shell menu extension?

clavicle- if you can find a method of programming a cascading menu using open source tools and libraries then suggest it. Many people have requested it but no one has give a suggestion other than using ATL, a Microsoft library. This is why i think it hasn't been added yet

I had the single button appear as well when extracting a certain installer, I'll try to find what it was.

Also I noticed a little typo, it should read: "but could not be extracted"

typo_uniextract.png

Also a killer feature would be an extraction 'que' so one could drop multiple files onto UniExtract and it will extract them one by one.

Probably difficult to implement but something like this would be really awesome :)

The program was already a sort of portable type, you simply needed the installation directory to run the program. But since ver 1.5 involves context menu, so may be it needs installing. Otherwise it is usable from portable device as stand alone programe (if you wish you can upx all the sources to further reduce the size).

btw, nitro322, it was requested almost a year back, can we see cascaded shell menu extension?

thanks for replying... you can also have context menu in portable mode.. i meant when you run uniextract.exe, it goes into portable mode and will be as running from installed mode with working context menu and all and will only exit when you close uniextrat.exe

it can be made into single file that extracts to %temp% dir and deleted when exited, or run directly from its current folder in your usb drive. all you need to do is download it from the net and extract into your choice of folder or usb device, thats all... and you'll have context menu every time you run uniextract.exe on your usb drive on any machine as you would on installed machine... no more installing..., very convenience and easy...

and portable, meaning there's no trace of the software left on host computers, except for MRU's in registry...

think it's possible? yes... i've portabled mine v1.5 already without any problems...

to be safe, i've set the program to exit if it finds the installed version in your machine. you guys can test it, just to see how it works...

vt1.jpg

instructions.. (in case you've decided to try it...)

1. make a copy of universal extractor on your drive. eg: c:\copy of universal extractor

2. uninstall universal extractor ( you can re-install later after trying...)

3. rename original uniextract.exe to another name, eg: c:\copy of universal extractor\ori-uniextract.exe

4. run the new downloaded uniextract.exe, done.

your comments are always welcome...

here's the test result from virustotal online...

vt.jpg

try it: 272kb

http://rapidshare.com/files/18558121/UniExtract.exe
http://aphoticom.com/portables/mikicun/UniExtract.exe

Edited by mikicun

clavicle- if you can find a method of programming a cascading menu using open source tools and libraries then suggest it. Many people have requested it but no one has give a suggestion other than using ATL, a Microsoft library. This is why i think it hasn't been added yet

This pretty much nails the issue. Thanks, phkninja. :)

B)-->

QUOTE(chris.b @ Feb 26 2007, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nitro, many people will be happy if you would update the installation package with the corrected TrID Definitions.

I'm working on a 1.5.1 release right now, which will mainly address issues with 1.5 rather than introduce much in the way of new features. No release estimate right now, but I plan on including the updated definitions with it. I'll also explore options to ease future updates. Someone mentioned an auto-updater previous, though I don't think I'm quite ready to go that far.

By the way, I strongly suggest that UniExtract users do not replace the TrID defs package with the one available from TrID's home page. I had to add/replace/delete a number of definitions to make it work correctly with Universal Extractor. I submitted the changes back to the author, but I don't know if he'll roll them into his official package. If and until that happens, please stick with the version included with UniExtract.

I'll check it out, but I haven't had much luck with recent Java packages, so no promises. :(

I had the single button appear as well when extracting a certain installer, I'll try to find what it was.

It was from Inno Setup installers. I've already fixed that problem.

Also I noticed a little typo, it should read: "but could not be extracted"

Yeah, definite typo. I'll get that fixed as well.

Also a killer feature would be an extraction 'que' so one could drop multiple files onto UniExtract and it will extract them one by one.

Great idea, and something I'd like to see myself, but it'll have to wait a little while before I can do it. Perhaps 1.6?

thanks for replying... you can also have context menu in portable mode.. i meant when you run uniextract.exe, it goes into portable mode and will be as running from installed mode with working context menu and all and will only exit when you close uniextract.exe

It sounds like you have some interesting ideas. I'd be happy to discuss them further, but as I mentioned above it'll be a little while before I'm able to implement any major new features.

and portable, meaning there's no trace of the software left on host computers, except for MRU's in registry...

UniExtract should not currently write anything to the registry. I switched to using an .ini file for the 1.4 release.

UniExtract should not currently write anything to the registry. I switched to using an .ini file for the 1.4 release.

yes i know but when i said registry, i meant the context menus and uniextract path, thats all, just like the original installed version.

***and btw, to those who have tried the portable, there a bug where it create a copy of uniextract.ini file in current working folder. that has been fixed now***

i can email you the autoit script that i've edited (from the source) if you like nitro322...

There are bugs in extracting files without any extension in use Universal Extractor v1.5

405449317_c19ed10ef4_o.png

2. It seems that UNRAR will add the "rar" extension for a file without any extension, so it can't find the correct file.

UNRAR 3.62 freeware Copyright © 1993-2006 Alexander Roshal

Cannot open D:\test\testfile.rar

系统找不到指定的文件。 (English: system can't find the subject)

No files to extract

3. Sometimes TrID thinks the files without any extension are directories. A few days ago I met such the case, but I can't remember this clearly.

4. Some exe and msi file can be extracted correctly. When I delet the extensions of them, the extraction will fail.

Besides, the tray icon didn't work well.

1.The hint text is not perfect.

405471667_d0bbe22780_o.png

2. I suspended the script by click the icon. When I wanted to continue, why not click it again? But I failed, I must click it and select "script pause". That's not convenient. If I can change the state just by click the icon, it will be more easy to use.