Poll: Which GFX would you buy at the moment?

Crispy

Which GFX would you buy at the moment?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which GFX would you buy at the moment?

• Geforce 4 ti 4200 / 4400 / 4600
    • Radeon 9500 nonpro & pro
    • Radeon 9700 nonpro & pro
    • Radeon 9800 pro
    • Geforce FX 5800 Ultra
    • Geforce FX 5600 Ultra and non-ultra
    • Geforce FX 5200
    • Other (post which)

GEFORCE FX 5900

Because:

1) 5800 and below are dodgy as, nvidia pulled a shifty :)

2) 9800 PRO is good, just ATI drivers are poo

3) 9700 PRO great, again drivers

4) 9700 probly best bet to buy this cause it cheaper than pro, and drivers make it the same speed as PRO

5) Im the best w00t

Well since you're askin...

I used to use NVidia exclusively but I have had the chance to run both the Radeon 9700 and 9800s and I gotta say I would buy the 9700 if the price is right. To me the 9700 graphics are just as good as the 9800 even tho it benches a tad slower.

agreed ATI drivers have been flaky in the past but they seem to have come a long way recently...

• 1 year later...

The next time I trot up to a shop which stocks gfx cards, I'd buy a card based on an nVidia GeForceFX 6800 GT, AGP 8x.

Why?

It's available for a reasonable price (considering its monstrous capabilities). Its not a top-end card retailing upwards of $500, it is a main-stream one - available from different makers at different price-points. It has enough of VRAM onboard (256 MB), and would most certainly have features like TV in/out, with channel surfing and PVR functions. Also, since I already have quite a high-end MoBo with AGP-8X support, it makes sense for me to go for one with that feature - PCI-X is useless with my MoBo (I don't say the technology is bad, just that I won't have an option of using it) for another year atleast.

GeForce Fx 5800 Ultra is what I would get (based on choices from the poll). I've had two nVidia cards (Upgraded to GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 free, long story short: Went to buy over the phone with comp company, over three days they changed the price three times. Complained about how price went from 150 to 250 over the three days and got free upgrade.)

Btw, ATI has been caught messing with their cards for overclocking and other such incidents. In short, lying about their results.

Never had a problem with it, and I run on WinME.

BSoD's in WinME are rare/never happen for me really. That's how "often" I see them.

i would choose an ati card, because i hate the 5X00 series of nvidea (specially XT ones). and if i had enought money i would buy a club3d 9800se because they are the cheapest/best option. with 2.2ns memory you can use the modded drivers to turn them into a new 9800 pro card without problems. about +/- 100€

Right now the 9800 would give you the most bang for the buck.

The 4.9 beta drivers seem to work good (also DNA & Omega drivers do well)

Use ATI Tool and overclock it a little

Right now it might be worth waiting until the end of the year for some decent buys on the PCI-X cards.

I think it's not the moment to buy any GPU.

PCI-EX is comming up and the AGP cards will be lower in Price. :rolleyes:

I'm not thinking of upgrading to PCI-EX board.

But anyway If I had to buy a new one, I would choose 9800Pro.

For better performance in Games! :)

Respect for ATI! :D

PCI-X it's not an alternative (for now). many benchmarks shows that with nowdays hardware it doesn't increment the framerate. the problem with new gpus it's the memory or core limit and refrigeration not the bottleneck on agp8x. the only advantage i see it's that future motherboards will be equiped with many PCI-X and in a future (maybe many years), you could use 2 gpus in the same mobo, same like the old voodoo2 sli connection :)

PCI-X ......

OT: it's PCI-E(PCI Express aka 3GIO) not PCI-X(server bus).

These two are totally different, but people often(always) mistake the two.

Ontopic:

I'd buy and 6800GT, or x800xt, if you can find one. If you want a cheaper then 9800 pro owns everything in that list. Some pros even have r360 cores, so you could flash them to XTs with ease. TBH entire FX line from nvidia is worthless