MS Base Smart Card HF / User Profile Hive Cleanup Service

Bugs Bunny

In my first post I have to say thank you very much for HFSLIP - a really great tool. I use it for Windows 2000.

I found it by searching if maybe MS will change its idea about releasing a SP5 for Windows 2000. Well by finding this site this isn't of any importance to me any more.

HFSLIP works very well, I only found a few minor things:

It seems that it's not possible to integrate the HF:

Windows-KB909520-v1.000-x86-ENU.exe (MS Base Smart Card...)

I've put it into the HF folder but it doesn't seem to be integrated to the Sourcess - well some files are, but the update does not seem to be working after installing windows 2000.

Another question: is it possible to integrate the "User Profile Hive Cleanup Service" into de sourcess?

Here is some info

Info about deploy

Download

The instructions say: Save the hotfixes to the HF folder, which can take Type 1 and Type 2 Hotfixes as well as MSI installers.

The UPHClean-Setup is a msi installer so I tried to put it into the HF folder but without luck.

Could it be that it failed because this msi does not exist for my language and HFSLIP rejected it because I used the english one?

Thank's a lot Tomcat76 as soon as I have some free time I have to test your "MultiCompiler" - it can integrate some very useful things.

Meanwile I've made some tests with the Windows-KB909520-v1.000-x86-ENU.exe (MS Base Smart Card...) Package. (I have got a Laptop with a Smartcard reader). If I put the package into the HF folder some files get integrated but it will not be installed correctly. Worse in this case is, that it's not possible to install the package after finishing the Windows installation. It gives an error.

Someone else had the same problem?

I can confirm this now. I thought it didn't work because I slipped an English version of the Smart Base update into a Dutch version of Windows XP, but Dutch on Dutch doesn't work either. HFNETCHK says the version of quartz.dll is lower than expected.

@Bugs Bunny:

If you intended to try other applications with it, you should download it again. I discovered a problem with the implementation of .NET 1.1.

Edited by Tomcat76

I hope you can nail this one, TommyP. It looks complicated to me.

I first opened the Smart Base hotfix with 7-zip, but "quartz.dll" isn't part of it. Then I noticed three important INF files: one for Server 2003, one for XP, and another for 2000. I used the Windows Search facility to thoroughly scan the SOURCESS folder for Windows 2000 using various keywords, and I could only find one INF related to the Smart Base hotfix (HFSLIP53.INF)... which turned out to be a copy of the INF for Windows XP. Figuring this was the cause of the problem, I manually updated the INF in the SOURCESS folder (leaving the heading that HFSLIP creates intact), made a CD and installed Windows again, but Windows Update still claims the update isn't installed.

BTW... Is this hotfix protected or something? I can only extract it with GUI archivers (WinRAR, 7-zip,...), not with their command line applications nor with a "regular" extraction using the /c /t or the /q /x switches.

Edited by Tomcat76

TC, QUARTZ.DLL: there is a tricky directx update that came out a few months back. Check to be sure you have the correct version. There was an issue with it when it was released, and microsoft silently re-released it. The one to download depends on what you are slipstreaming. If you are using w2k and are slipstreaming dx9, then you need the hotfix for dx9 & w2k. You may want to run HFSLIP without adding in your switchless programs.

As I mentioned before, the current 1202 hfslip does not slipstream the smartbase fix. This smartbase fix ADDs additional files to the source. Give me a few days to troubleshoot the next release. Also, are you sure it doesn't extract using the /x switch? I could have sworn it worked for me. BTW, why is this "recommended" fix so important?

It's nice to see a clean WU, but I don't care if it can't be done... It's up to you.

With /c /t, an error comes up saying that /c is not a recognized switch, and if I use /q /x, it says that /q is not recognized. I'll try with just /x next time...

Thanks for the info on the DX9 update. I'll check it out.

Edit...

I've redownloaded the update for DX9 and it's completely identical -- up to the version number of quartz.dll.

HFNETCHK said: quartz.dll has a file version [6.5.1.907] that is less than what is expected [6.5.2600.2749].

quartz.dll version from the update package I used till now: 6.5.1.907

quartz.dll version from the update package I just downloaded: 6.5.1.907

DX9 update for Win2K

Edited by Tomcat76

TC, I'm a dunce. I can't figure this out.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms05-050.mspx

In the system information box, it says that w2k with dx9 needs 6.5.1.907. With XPSP2 you need version 6.5.2600.2749. I'm not sure what you are using to test, but my hfnetchk says all is OK. MSBLA has all reported OK too. Remember, I'm working with an english version. Do you think that your localized version would need a different version?

TommyP,

Ignore the error about quartz.dll. As I said, it's only reported when the Smart Base update is included. Since HFSLIP is incorparating the Windows XP portion of the Smart Base update (or at least part of it) into Windows 2000 by mistake, I'm not surprised this error comes up.

TC - Are you sure your smartbase exe is correct? When I extract mine, I do not have the quartz.dll file there. Here's what I have when using the /x to extract it:

axaltocm.dll

basecsp.dll

bcsprsrc.dll

empty.cat

ifxcardm.dll

pintool.exe

spmsg.dll

spuninst.exe

spupdsvc.exe

I think you're quartz problem lies somewhere else. It really doesn't appear to be hfslip related.

@Bugs Bunny:

If you're still interested, download the MultiCompiler program again. I'm testing the Base Smart Card update in the latest version.

@TommyP:

It looks like we're talking next to each other... LOL

I know quartz.dll is not in the Base Smart Card package (as I said before).

Two facts:

1) HFNETCHK only complains about having the wrong version of quartz.dll if I include the Base Smart Card update into HFSLIP

2) When the Base Smart Card update is included in HFSLIP with a source of Windows 2000, HFSLIP embeds the INF intended for Windows XP

It should be obvious what's going wrong.

HFSLIP applies the Windows XP version of the Base Smart Card update into a Windows 2000 source. The Base Smart Card update, apparantly relying on the existance of quartz.dll, finds a different version of quartz.dll than expected: the XP version of the Base Smart Card update, integrated by HFSLIP, searches for the XP version of quartz.dll, but if only finds the Windows 2000 version. HFNETCHK merely passes on the error reported by the Base Smart Card update.

You could try making a silent/switchless installer out of UPHClean. I've also just added support for it in the "MultiCompiler".
Hmm... It doesn't seem to work on Win2K. I wonder if it's because of something that's "unavailable" during setup of Windows 2000, or because I have too many updates in HFSVPK. It worked several times on WinXP, but then I didn't include all the extra programs I added the last two days so it can be either thing.

@ Tomacat76:

Yes I'm still interested and I already downloaded the MultiCompiler a few days ago.

I wanted to start with something simple: Classic Skin for WMP9 (I don't like the new skins very much).

I've got the WMPCskin.exe out of the MultiCompiler process. Then I tested the WMPCskin.exe - it created me the skin in the %Program Files%\Windows Media Player\Skins\ -> worked fine.

I then put the WMPCskin.exe into HFSVPK_SW and ran HFSLIP and created an install CD.

After doing a test install the classic skind did not get created like it should :no:

Don't know what went wrong :(

I had no time to test the Base Smart Card update yet.