Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Tricking WU think Messenger 4.7 is installed

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

twizt3d

twizt3d

Twizt3d DesignZ

• PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Joined 29-March 04
Just as my title says, Im trying to trick Windows Update think that Messenger 4.7 is installed, I want WU to show no updates available, but i do not want Messenger on my system, any ideas?

Edited by twizt3d, 12 December 2005 - 05:51 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

cumminbk

cumminbk

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Joined 10-June 05
I think it has already been posted that this cannot be done...

RyanVM

RyanVM

Like a big surly teddy bear.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts
  • Joined 31-August 03
Just hide it and save DataStore.edb to be copied during unattended setup. That should work.
RyanVM MSFN Files | RyanVM Forums
Please do not link directly to files on my site or modify/redistribute them without getting my permission first. Link to the above URL instead.
Current Update Pack Release: 2.2.2
(Released April 28, 2008)

BTW, 90% of what I say is kidding around. Don't take things so personally ;)

twizt3d

twizt3d

Twizt3d DesignZ

• PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Joined 29-March 04
sorry for my stupidity, but could you be more clear on how to hide it lol?

BoardBabe

BoardBabe

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Joined 04-October 04
RyanVM's trademark is to be a bit cryptic so that you will have to do some reasearch on your own... That way you learn more...

I learned the same way that the file DataStore.edb in %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore stores the information of Windows / Microsoft -update. On a fresh install, run WU/MU once and HIDE whatever you want to hide and then immediatly close IE. Now grab DataStore.edb and place it in $OEM$\$$\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore.

PS. DataStore.edb will be IN USE by system after you run WU/MU and therefore you might have to boot to safe-mode to copy/replace it.

Next time you install win, it will remember the settings (this method also skips initial MU welcome process and default IE Tools>>Windows Update to microsoft update page (IF INSTALLED)).

Edited by BoardBabe, 23 December 2005 - 07:42 PM.

BoardBabe

twizt3d

twizt3d

Twizt3d DesignZ

• PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Joined 29-March 04
wait a min, wouldnt runing wu again just over right that and say that its not installed?

BoardBabe

BoardBabe

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Joined 04-October 04
Uh, no?

Just try it and see for yourself, it works...
BoardBabe

twizt3d

twizt3d

Twizt3d DesignZ

• PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Joined 29-March 04
by hide you mean install correct? So basically i install xpsp2 then go to wu and install windows messenger 4.7, restart in safe mode and copy the datastore file, then copy it into $OEM$\$$\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore, and when i install using my UACD messenger wont be installed but windows update will think it is. Did i get that correct? i guess the only way to find out is try, but please correct me if im wrong.

twizt3d

twizt3d

Twizt3d DesignZ

• PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Joined 29-March 04
arite well that didnt work, someone wanna clarify for me?

druiddk

druiddk

• PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Joined 30-November 05
He told you to hide it... not install it!
Please rate my post :)

twizt3d

twizt3d

Twizt3d DesignZ

• PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Joined 29-March 04
again i ask, how do i hide something???

jcarle

jcarle

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,579 posts
  • Joined 14-August 04
Why are you guys making it so complicated? Just go to Windows Update then Hide the update in question and you won't be bothered anymore.

(only screenshot link I could find: http://support.gatew...09594su32.shtml)
Posted Image
Posted Image

BoardBabe

BoardBabe

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Joined 04-October 04
Uh, read the previous posts :P

@jcarle: The question is how to make it stick to the next format, so its still hidden. and its answered in the prev. posts.
BoardBabe

muiz

muiz

SPECIAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Joined 03-August 03
Cant you use an sfx to put the file there ?

BoardBabe

BoardBabe

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Joined 04-October 04
Sure you could use sfx, but why not just put it in $OEM$?
Whatever suits you...
BoardBabe

blinkdt

blinkdt

Somewhat Knowledgeable

• PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Joined 30-September 03

Why are you guys making it so complicated? Just go to Windows Update then Hide the update in question and you won't be bothered anymore.

I reinstalled on 26 machines last night. I was my privilege to walk to each of them, open MU and choose custom install, and then hide six non-critical updates so that my students won't inadvertently install them "because they're there." Thank goodness all of the machines were in the same room. I've incorporated this routine in the past, but need to stay on top of it as the updates roll in. Lesson learned, the hard way. Lest we forget, the name of the game is unattended.
no peace for the wicked, no rest for the good

jcarle

jcarle

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,579 posts
  • Joined 14-August 04
If you have that many machines to maintain, you should be running Update Server which is free and you should be managing which updates they can install from the server. :)
Posted Image
Posted Image

DarkShadows

DarkShadows

The brighter the light, the darker the shadows.

• PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Joined 12-January 05
I'd like to encourage everyone reading this thread to also check out GUIDE: Download Everything Microsoft, a complete, step-by-step, how-to, which includes all of the most useful information contained in this thread you are currently reading, as well as information on some other closely related items that you should consider integrating into your XPCDs. Much of the linked guide's information has been discussed in other disparate MSFN Forums threads (like this one), but it is all brought together in one place along with new information not covered anywhere else on MSFN.

Guide Topics Include Integrating:

• Windows Installer 3.1 v2 (3.1.4000.2435) - KB893803
  • Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications - KB905474
  • Windows Update Agent
  • Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool ActiveX Control - KB892130 (LegitCheckControl.cab)
  • Office Genuine Advantage Validation Tool ActiveX Control (OGAControl.cab)
  • Windows Update ActiveX Control (wuweb_site.cab)
  • Microsoft Update ActiveX Control (muweb_site.cab)
  • Office Update Installation Engine ActiveX Control (opuc4.cab)
  • Microsoft Update Catalog Internet ActiveX Control (MuCatalogWebControl.cab)

All of the above items are closely interrelated as it they all pertain to downloading Microsoft Software Updates to your Windows XP computer. In fact, many of the above items are so closely intertwined that some will not work correctly without the correct installation of others.
I'm still looking for that damned <Any> key!
Check Out My: Sysinternals Installer Builder | GUIDE: Download Everything Microsoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users