need to know if this is possible

oxbrother

OK let me try and explain. I want to change the name of one of my Documents and Settings user. It actually is my administrator folder. everytime I try to do it it says that it is a windows system folder that is required for windows to run properly and it cannot be moved or renamed. How can i go about renaming it? the name of it is robert.ROBERT and I just want it robert.

TweakUi can change the place and name of your document foulder. But when you try it warns you that it may cause your system to become unstalble...so do it at your own risk[/size:fea28d2c34] :)

i hope that answered your question..If i missunderstood it, Can you plz reword it? so i can help you out.

-drew

Oxbrother -- not sure if I understand your question. But if what you want is your main 'robert' user docs and settings to be in a folder called Robert instead of Robert.Robert, just go into the documents and settings folder and create a new folder called Robert or Robert Documents or whatever you want it called. The on the desktop or Start Button - just right click on My Documents and then select Properties from the contect menu. You can then "Move" or "Find Target" ----> use the find target choice and browse to the new folder you created and select.

Now - use explorer to copy the content from robert.robert to the new folder and bob's your uncle!

LS

Guest LouCypher

OK let me try and explain. I want to change the name of one of my Documents and Settings user. It actually is my administrator folder. everytime I try to do it it says that it is a windows system folder that is required for windows to run properly and it cannot be moved or renamed. How can i go about renaming it? the name of it is robert.ROBERT and I just want it robert. [/quote:76d5699676]

Ok, so I I understand correctly you user's home directory is currently:

C:Documents and Settingsrobert.ROBERT

and you just want it to be

C:Documents and Settingsrobert

I renamed "Administrator" account "root", but the home directory was still "C:Documents and SettingsAdministrator", and I wanted it to be "C:Documents and Settingsroot" instead.

I logged on as LouCypher, another admin user. I created the directory "C:Documents and Settingsroot", and moved everything from "C:Documents and SettingsAdministrator" into it.

Then I ran regedit, and did a search for Administrator, and replaced all instances with root.

A particular key to look for is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionProfileList

This key has the SID and the location of the profile directories. If you wanted to move your profiles from C:Documents and Settings to another drive you could do it by editing this key.

So you should

1) Make folder C:Documents and Settingsrobert

2) Login as another admin user (or "Administrator")

3) Search registry for robert.ROBERT and replace with JUST robert

4) Make sure to edit the key for your user under the above key.

5) Logout and log back on as robert.

you just love messing in the registry done you lou? am i the only one to notice this? lol, never wrong about it either, how the hell do you stay sane looking in there all the time? it drives me nuts!

Now - use explorer to copy the content from robert.robert to the new folder and bob's your uncle!

[/quote:86b8392f93] LOL he [b:86b8392f93]IS[/b:86b8392f93] Bob LS_dragons!! hehehe

Guest LouCypher

I like playing with the registry and seeing what happens. More fun than modifying permissions on directories to adjust program behavoir. (<-sp?)

It just so happened that this was a thing I noticed that bugged me, so I figured out where it was and changed it. Suprisingly enough it worked. I don't have C:Documents and SettingsAdministrator anymore :)

It's usually pretty easy to find stuff in the registry if you know where and how to look for it.

I have been halfway kinda playing around with the idea of making my XP box as "unixish" as possible. Moving profiles to /home, putting C:windowssystem32 in /sbin, etc. Maybe putting on LiteStep, and installing LINE :rolleyes: