[Question] - Configuring automatic updates automatically

qpshelp

I am currently supporting a mixed enviornment of NT, 2k and XP PC's. I would like to setup the XP machines to be configured for automatic updating for now (untill we get AD in place and functioning fully) but I have to accomplish this without going to each machine and configuring them manually. We are in a domain but are currently not using AD, and won't be for awhile.

My question is, is there a way I can configure all the XP machines to be set for automatic updating either by using a script or something? Also, if I were to configure active directory to set all machines to have automatic updating, is this going to have any effect on the 2k or NT machines? This would be the best solution, in my opinion.

Thanks for your time!

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

Edited by Zxian

Changes made to AD to force automatic update settings will effect both XP and 2K machines, unless you separate them into different OU's, and apply separate GPO's to each group.

You could simply script in the registry changes for the AU settings in a logon script or enter them remotely via psexec or some other tool as well, for the time being. Most settings in Group Policy are simple registry changes (edit the .adm files in notepad sometime).

I am probably going to have to manually edit each machine to enable AU. I would like to make a script, but I need something that only I would have to run as I don't want any users running logon scripts that contain admin credentials to install the registry settings.

Is there a way I can make a script that will remotely add these settings to the PC's that I tell it to?

Actually, I was facing the same issue as you about a year ago. There is a neat little way to force the policy on ALL the workstations on the domain w/out going to each machine.

Look for NTConfig.pol, open regedt32.exe, load hive, select ntconfig.pol, select any name for it, add the registry keys you want to enforce on your workstations, unload hive. Make sure ntconfig.pol is saved in the NETLOGON directory of the Domain controller. I used this method to enforce the policy on 500 workstations when first implementing SUS,

Worked like a charm.

BTW, google ntconfig.pol, there is an article on it somewhere from WindowsItPro

Good luck,

626KLZE

• 1 month later...