Will Vista really be released in 2006?

Link21

I have heard that Vista is behind schedule and still very early in the beta stage. Yet, everyone is talking about it being released by the Fall of 2006. If it is really early in the beta stage, do you really think it will make it out to final release in a year or less from now?

Or do you think sometime in 2007 will be a more realistic estimated time when it is released?

Is there any scheduled date yet on the release of Vista? Or is it all just speculation and hype?

In February? Wow that does not give them much time to finish it off. I wonder if any of the beta testers can comment on the new features that have been put into Vista. So far it seems to me that Vista is not really that huge of an upgrade as was expected. And I think there is no way MS will make it by end of 2k6. If they do it will be halfassed and it will need a massive SP to get it working finally.

So no beta testers are able to tell us non beta testers why it would be a good idea for Win XP Users to upgrade to Vista? I dont care about the gui. Right now it is in beta so I am sure that it will be hard on the memory and so on anda fat load of services running. But other than that things are probably not that noticeable eh?

I'm wondering what the final specifics for Windows Vista is. Apparently I've heard that you need at least 2 GIG of RAM just to run it. I mean come on, that is way too demanding, even for an operating system. What is Microsoft thinking anyway?

No way, 512Mb of run will be enough..

I have not read the entire Vista threads but a few thoughts below.

I believe Vista will be easier to install from what Ive read so far. Does anyone know how this affects an unattended installation? Is it very different to XP?

They will be using a new file system, will it be backward compatible to NTFS?

Cheers

MC

I believe Vista will be easier to install from what Ive read so far. Does anyone know how this affects an unattended installation? Is it very different to XP?

Cheers

MC

As far as a now there will be no new file system, NTFS will be used in Vista. Vista will be easier for install than any M$ OS before, probably unattended installation will be a piece of cake too.. :yes:

Cheers

MC

Originally, the next generation file system dubbed WinFS was going to ship with Windows Vista, however someone over in Redmond decided that to include it in the original release would not be feasable as it is still in the early beta stages. It will be released at the same time as Longhorn Server.

As far as installation goes, it is image based, so it will be super-quick to install and very easy to do an unattended. Microsoft have really geared the installation toward system administrators. Here is a bit of info on the stuff involved http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvi...ert/ximage.mspx