Building a Pre-activated CD from an existing installation

You are the man, just want you to know that. Been wringing my hair out for a week trying to reload this stupid HP Compaq Evo D530, don't have the restore disks. Tried an XP Pro disk from a newer and an older Compaq we had, neither would work. After a bit of research I copied the i386 folder from another HP (newer), but it too would ask to activate after Windows finished installing. Finally found this post, ran your files to get my XP key from the new one, used it when installing on the other one, and presto, no activation needed. Very thankful for your help, hope I can someday return the favor.

Speaking of, I noticed in another thread you are looking for certain OEMBIOS files from certain manufacturers. We see a ton of computers come through here monthly, so if you have a need feel free to ask and I'll see what I can scrounge up.

I have a Dell laptop with WinXP MCE 2005.

I have the CD too (a full MCE DVD customized by Dell too integrate Bonus content).

my question is :

should the pre-activation thing discussed here work when tested on VMware ?

(because virtual environment is not 'manufactured by Dell' on VMware i think)

I have planified a full reinstallation on my laptop, but i test my unattended DVD on VMware before, and getting/replacing OEMBIOS files doesn't work.

Plus, i remarqued that the VB script which gets the Windows cdkey in the registry is the same key that is written on my laptop sticker...

can you help me on that points please ?

thx

Edited by r0sWell

I have a Dell laptop with WinXP MCE 2005.

I have the CD too (a full MCE DVD customized by Dell too integrate Bonus content).

my question is :

should the pre-activation thing discussed here work when tested on VMware ?

(because virtual environment is not 'manufactured by Dell' on VMware i think)

I have planified a full reinstallation on my laptop, but i test my unattended DVD on VMware before, and getting/replacing OEMBIOS files doesn't work.

Plus, i remarqued that the VB script which gets the Windows cdkey in the registry is the same key that is written on my laptop sticker...

can you help me on that points please ?

thx

NO, you are right this won't work on VMWare as the BIOS in VMware doesn't hold the reqyuired SLP BIOS strings...

The issue about the key, check winnt.sif and/or OOBEinfo.ini on the DVD

• 3 weeks later...

Hey ive read almost every post in this topic, but didnt see an answer to my problem, or im just blind, lol.

- I built my own computer

- I presume I have a "Hacked" CD of Win XP Pro since the Windows Genuine Validation reports to me as having an illegal or pirated CD key when i update windows to a cetain point.

- At that point i cannot get any more updates as i have an "Illegal" copy

Would i be able to get the OEMBIOS files from another computer and use them with my "hacked" cd to get :

- Preactivated install

- Clean install without the Windows Genuine Validation reporting me having an illegal or pirated CD key

If so, what computer should i use to get the OEMBIOS files from?

A computer made by Dell, HP, Acer etc...

Or, a computer with an OEM CD, also custom built...

Or, a combination of both?

And lastly would this cd that i create be able to be used on ANY computer i install it on, and would it work correctly on all different computers? My main concern is for it to work on custom built PC's, not so much PC's from Dell, Acer, HP etc.

Sry for the long post, but thanks so much for any help i get that leads to the solving of my issue :thumbup

Hey ive read almost every post in this topic, but didnt see an answer to my problem, or im just blind, lol.

- I built my own computer

- I presume I have a "Hacked" CD of Win XP Pro since the Windows Genuine Validation reports to me as having an illegal or pirated CD key when i update windows to a cetain point.

- At that point i cannot get any more updates as i have an "Illegal" copy

Would i be able to get the OEMBIOS files from another computer and use them with my "hacked" cd to get :

- Preactivated install

- Clean install without the Windows Genuine Validation reporting me having an illegal or pirated CD key

If so, what computer should i use to get the OEMBIOS files from?

A computer made by Dell, HP, Acer etc...

Or, a computer with an OEM CD, also custom built...

Or, a combination of both?

And lastly would this cd that i create be able to be used on ANY computer i install it on, and would it work correctly on all different computers? My main concern is for it to work on custom built PC's, not so much PC's from Dell, Acer, HP etc.

Sry for the long post, but thanks so much for any help i get that leads to the solving of my issue :thumbup

This is a strictly no warez site so you won't get any help on your first issue.

This method only works on computers manufactured by a Royalty OEMs(at least 1000 PCs or 100 Servers anually), it won't work on homebulit or Mom&Pop brands. The target PC must be the same brand as the source PC for this to work.

This is a strictly no warez site so you won't get any help on your first issue.

This method only works on computers manufactured by a Royalty OEMs(at least 1000 PCs or 100 Servers anually), it won't work on homebulit or Mom&Pop brands. The target PC must be the same brand as the source PC for this to work.

THX for the response, as for the warez, np i understand lol.

My main concern is the pre-activation

As for the Pre-Activation:

Theretically wouldnt the OEMBIOS files still work for homebuilt/Mom&Pop brands? Wouldnt the activation and cdkey information just transfer over to the target PC? Or do the OEMBIOS files somehow link to a check that looks into another file for "Dell" or "Acer"? And on this and other forums ive heard of something called a WPA check is that what checks a certain file for the brand?

Assuming iam right then one would have to dive into the code of the WPA check program or operation and remove the check for the brand.

I dont know if this now what i have brought up is considered "hacking" on this site, but i dont mean to put it that way.

>My main concern is the pre-activation

To get preactivation on a system that wasn't built for it is warez. To be legal the preinstalled windows must be matched with a manufacturer specific COA on the case and be running a qualified motherboard from that manufacturer. Mom-n-pop doesn't count.

>Theretically wouldnt the OEMBIOS files still work for ...

Read more, post less!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ppl

i've read the reply's in this topic

but did not understand how to or didn't read it

i have bought a acer laptop with windows xp hom (probaly royal oem)

but acer had taken away 5 gig of my laptop

so i formatted the laptop and put that with my windows partition

but they didn't add a windows cd or something with my laptop

i have a windows home oem version cd from a friend of mine but that doens't work with my key (under my laptop) when i install that one i heard

i have found :

oembios.bin

OEMBIOS.CAT

oembios.dat

oembios.sig

from acer laptop on the internet can i use those files and put in my own key with windows install (or pre activated like my windows was ?)

sory if i posted this in the wrong topic

Hi ppl

i've read the reply's in this topic

but did not understand how to or didn't read it

i have bought a acer laptop with windows xp hom (probaly royal oem)

but acer had taken away 5 gig of my laptop

so i formatted the laptop and put that with my windows partition

but they didn't add a windows cd or something with my laptop

i have a windows home oem version cd from a friend of mine but that doens't work with my key (under my laptop) when i install that one i heard

i have found :

oembios.bin

OEMBIOS.CAT

oembios.dat

oembios.sig

from acer laptop on the internet can i use those files and put in my own key with windows install (or pre activated like my windows was ?)

sory if i posted this in the wrong topic

There are two variations of Acer files. They can be identified by the CRC32 of OEMBIOS.CAT. The 700A8481 set is used only on TravelMates and the 717B6EF3 set is used on all other models (and some TravelMates). Once you have the correct files you need to compress them with MAKECAB and replace the OEMBIOS.??_ files on the CD. You cannot use the key on the COA-Sticker, You must use an SLP-Key.

i noticed i did use the 717bef set

and i have a acer aspire

but i tried 2 enter the key under my laptop but it didn't work

what is a slp key ?

thanks in advance

An SLP-Key is the Type of CD-Key that manufacturers use in their factory when installing Windows. This key is required for pre-activation to work. The key isn't Acer specific you can extract the key from any pre-activated XP Home system using the magical jelly bean.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys.

The hd on my mates laptop has failed and we have ordered a new one which should arrive next week. It's a MESH laptop which was provided with a holographic xp home disc.

When we re-install windows it would be nice to preserve OEM Pre-activation. However because we cannot access the old HD there is no way of extracing the OEM Bios files and also the licence key.

Is there anywhere where I can locate a MESH OEMBIOS file? Are MESH even a royalty OEM?

Once I have got past that hurdle, I still won't have the correct licence key. Can I use the xp home system builder one from this page? http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...depl.mspx#EWFAC

Obviously it's not a big problem if this isn't possible, as we can install with the COA sticker's key and activate it over the phone. However if anyone has any suggestions they would appreciated.

Thanks, Mat.

Edited by matthestar

Hi guys.

The hd on my mates laptop has failed and we have ordered a new one which should arrive next week. It's a MESH laptop which was provided with a holographic xp home disc.

When we re-install windows it would be nice to preserve OEM Pre-activation. However because we cannot access the old HD there is no way of extracing the OEM Bios files and also the licence key.

Is there anywhere where I can locate a MESH OEMBIOS file? Are MESH even a royalty OEM?

Once I have got past that hurdle, I still won't have the correct licence key. Can I use the xp home system builder one from this page? http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...depl.mspx#EWFAC

Obviously it's not a big problem if this isn't possible, as we can install with the COA sticker's key and activate it over the phone. However if anyone has any suggestions they would appreciated.

Thanks, Mat.

Royalty OEMs usually don't provide a hologrammed CD. To determine if thay are a Royalty OEM look at the COA sticker. If it says "OEM Product" it is not a Royalty OEM and can be activated online. If it has the MESH name or logo it is a Royalty OEM.

• 3 weeks later...
I have modified this getkey.vbs so it now adds the key to a Winnt.sif

---

I have made this into a SFX that runs the above script.

Hmmm....I'm pretty sure that the SFX was posted as a download here before....is it no longer available?