Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Building a Pre-activated CD from an existing installation

* * * * - 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

Djé

Djé

accent artist

• PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

i was wondering could i use a method like this to use my recovery disk on another machine as i like MCE2005 ?

The main technical problem is that you have to be able to read the content of your recovery CD.
Usually those CDs are locked so they can only be read on the same machine, or at least on a machine from the same manufacturer.
Can you find any I386 folder on the CD? How many files are there in it?
If you insert the CD in the other machine and boot on it, what does it says?
Those who do not learn from History are doomed to repeatedly fail their History exams.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

ner

ner

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
@ MAVERICKS CHOICE

Many thanks a much easier way, thanks :thumbup

Edited by ner, 12 May 2006 - 03:01 AM.

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,881 posts

i have a little problem and wonder if this method could help,

Not too hard to unlock HP Recovery_Partition which contains an I386, bad is it its just that and don't want to function just right, it goes into Recovery least for me. Those 9in1/11in1 things are same way, I386 stripped down as they combine like files in another location. Fortunately my friend had the 2 non oem specific MCE CDs I combined together.

1 of 2 HP recovery DVD I made before I started messin around contains an I386 at 2.47 GB, Thats all the stuff almost combined in one. Apps. Drv, MCE
Be rather difficult because I did try and strip stuff from it, kept erroring

WIN51 was 11 on original now just Win51, WIN51IP, WIN51IP.SP2 for MCE SP2

EDIT: On drivers same as Djé methods
I used DriverGenius while it was still working and all but 1 of them worked, bad was the 1 was Video and coming up on desktop at 640x480 was bad. Just went and got the ATI latest nows all fine cause it has the cats, inf and everything.
Couple other things I just made a autoit to run after the install during runoncex for keyboard . ATI panel and LightScribe drive.

Edited by maxXPsoft, 12 May 2006 - 03:31 AM.

Download ++> Windows 7 + 8 Unattended DVD + App Installer + Services Disabler + Load All Button + XML Creator
Jump2Reg - Registry: - Oct 4, 2013 - Version 3.0.4 - 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Seven, Windows 8+ and 32 or 64 bit

XP Unattended CD/DVD creator - Version 4.1.7
Sample xml + Setupcomplete + Add Right click .wim Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1

Tbone2

Tbone2

• PipPip
  • 268 posts
how about a sony recovery dvd's....most of the files are .img and do not open with winiso or ultraiso or even with winimage
Posted Image

Bezalel

Bezalel

• PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

how about a sony recovery dvd's....most of the files are .img and do not open with winiso or ultraiso or even with winimage

First recover the OS, then use the scripts in the first post to extract the Sony specific files and merge them with a hologrammed CD.

mittern8

mittern8
  • 8 posts

BTW the OEMBIOS files for MCE2005, TabletPC2005, and Pro are interchangable ...

Sorry for this, maybe, stupid question - but to avoid misunderstanding:
Do I get you right?
As long as I have the oembios files and the corresponding product key from the registry I can use them to create a pre-activated installation CD of any version of WIN XP, including Home, MCE2005, TabletPC2005 and Pro?

And what do you mean with

... the product keys are interchangable between brands.

I don't get this.
Thought the product key of a pre-activated installation has to fit to the oembios files which on the other hand fits to a special manufacturer?
the problem of human relation is communication

Bezalel

Bezalel

• PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

BTW the OEMBIOS files for MCE2005, TabletPC2005, and Pro are interchangable ...

Sorry for this, maybe, stupid question - but to avoid misunderstanding:
Do I get you right?
As long as I have the oembios files and the corresponding product key from the registry I can use them to create a pre-activated installation CD of any version of WIN XP, including Home, MCE2005, TabletPC2005 and Pro?

And what do you mean with

... the product keys are interchangable between brands.

I don't get this.
Thought the product key of a pre-activated installation has to fit to the oembios files which on the other hand fits to a special manufacturer?

MCE and TabletPC are based on Pro so they use the same OEMBIOS files. (I have used OEMBIOS files extracted from a Dell Pro with a Product key extracted from a HP MCE to create a Dell MCE CD set.) I'm not sure if the files can be interchanged between Home and Pro.

The Product Key is tied to the edition of windows being installed. In my multi manufacturer CD (not finished yet), I do not change the product key for each manufacturer.

waves

waves

• 37 posts
Bezalel,

In your multi-manufacturer cd, you do not change the product key for each manufacturer. Does this mean you can have one slipstream cd that will work across all pc manufacturers? How will it be activated?

Bezalel

Bezalel

• PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Bezalel,

In your multi-manufacturer cd, you do not change the product key for each manufacturer. Does this mean you can have one slipstream cd that will work across all pc manufacturers? How will it be activated?

Information on my multi-manufacturer CD can be found here http://www.msfn.org/...showtopic=71016

tcsdoc

tcsdoc

Junior

• Pip
  • 61 posts
I have an Emachines laptop. I'm one of those without a real Windows CD. I copied the i386 folder and used your programs (verified by Magic Jelly Bean) to get the OEM files and the actual cd key. I slipstreamed SP2 and the latest hotfixes into my unattended install (including the cdkey in the winnt.sif).

Installation is without errors but I have to activate. When I install from my ghost images I don't have to activate. My sticker has EMachines on the CDKey sticker so I assuming it's a ROYAL (??) OEM.

Am I missing something?

Edit: Man, I can't believe I forgot to replace the cdkey taken from the registry into the winnt.sif. I reloaded the system with the correct cdkey and it worked great. Thanks for all the info!!

Edited by tcsdoc, 24 May 2006 - 11:41 AM.

waves

waves

• 37 posts
If you do it the way tscdoc did, and enter the product key from the pc sticker instead of the key in the registry, do you still have to call, or will it activate over the net? Also, will the registry product key work on all emachines pc's, or just his?

Edited by waves, 24 May 2006 - 02:06 PM.

Bezalel

Bezalel

• PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

If you do it the way tscdoc did, and enter the product key from the pc sticker instead of the key in the registry, do you still have to call, or will it activate over the net? Also, will the registry product key work on all emachines pc's, or just his?

If you use the key from the Registry (or the key in your Dell CD) you will not have to activate it at all. If you use the key from the sticker you will have to activate by phone. The CD Key is not tied to any manufacturer, the OEMBIOS files are.

You are focusing too much on the key when you should be focusing on the OEMBIOS files. The key isn't the problem, it's just the symptom. Here is a timeline of what happens on startup when you use your Dell CD on a Dell and a Non-Dell.

Dell:
WPA creates a hardware inventory and saves it as WPA.DBL
Using the OEMBIOS files WPA checks that the PC is manufactured by Dell
Verification passes - Have a nice day

Non-Dell: (System Builder - Not yet activated)
Using the OEMBIOS files WPA checks that the PC is manufactured by Dell and is using a factory key.
Verification fails - proceed to next step
WPA.DBL is compared to WPA.BAK to determine how much hadware has changed
Verification fails (WPA.BAK doesn't exist) - proceed to next step
User is prompted to activate
User attempts to activate online
Activation fails (factory keys can't activate) - User is informed that the key must be changed
User enters key on sticker
Activation is sucsessful - WPA.DBL is signed and copied as WPA.BAK - Have a nice day

Non-Dell: (Royalty OEM - Not yet activated)
Using the OEMBIOS files WPA checks that the PC is manufactured by Dell and is using a factory key.
Verification fails (WPA.BAK doesn't exist) - proceed to next step
User is prompted to activate
Activation fails (factory keys can't activate) - User is informed that the key must be changed
User enters key on sticker
Activation fails (Royalty OEM keys can't activate online) - User is informed that they must activate by phone
User attempts to activate by phone
Activation is sucsessful - WPA.DBL is signed and copied as WPA.BAK - Have a nice day

Non-Dell: (already activated)
Verification passes - Have a nice day

There are more steps involved that I am aware of (and probably many more that I am not aware of) but these show a comparison between different types of systems

waves

waves

• 37 posts
ok, so does this mean that there is no way to use my slipstream copy of windows on any other pc but my own without having to activate, or get the oembios files from the pc first? You mention that if I use the key from the registry or the key in my dell cd I won't have to activate, but I am guessing that this is only for a dell pc, right?

bober

bober

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
i wish i had read this thread several days ago. a friend messed up his HP oem installation and had to reinstall it. the "rescue" partion would not work so he bought another xp home cd.
having the original "install" key might have saved him all the hassle of online activation.

Batfinks

Batfinks

• 21 posts
sorry had net problems for awhile and had to have new line put in so i couldn't reply...

my original post was:
i have a little problem and wonder if this method could help,

i have a HP LS1200 MCE system which went bang due to my kids and putting/spilling a drink on it

as my system is dead and out of warrenty i was wondering could i use a method like this to use my recovery disk on another machine as i like MCE2005 ?

i know the hardware would be different but is it possible as i own the software could i bastardise it to use on another machine ?

if it is possible could someone explain in plain laymens terms how im not too clued up on this sort of thing

***********************************************************************************

right i do have a i386 folder on recovery disk (cdr) and i can see all the files inside it and the i386 folder is 743mb

am hopeing i can still use it on another system so its not a complete loss

Edited by Batfinks, 28 May 2006 - 04:49 PM.

Erm...

Bezalel

Bezalel

• PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

if it is possible could someone explain in plain laymens terms how im not too clued up on this sort of thing

Unfortunately the problems you are having are completely unrelated to the topic of this thread.

Batfinks

Batfinks

• 21 posts
oops sorry is there a topic which covers this?

as i've already mentioned im not clued up on this in anyway at all

and any help would be great thankyou.
Erm...

bober

bober

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
thanks Bezalel.
your technique works great on hp home. :thumbup

herroyuy

herroyuy
  • 5 posts
sorry... simple question

after i get files using the batch file.... i just need to replace the 5 files i got into the xp home cd and then install? that will make my clean installation preactivated?

chickenfeed

chickenfeed

• 18 posts

If your laptop was mande by a Royalty OEM (the COA sticker hase manufacturer's name or logo) and you also have access to the Windows intallation bits (hologrammed OEM CD) you can use these files to recreate the OEMBIOS files and extract the CD-Key origionally used by the manufacturer to install windows. A Windows CD made with these files will not require activation when used on the computer the files were extracted from (or other computers of the same make).

Simple out of the box question;
- I have a royalty OEM installed on my hp laptop (it has "HP" in the COA).
- I don't have any HP windows installation cd back-up copy
- I downloaded a OEM version (same home version) from the net.
- extracted the bulk license from winnt.sif of the current laptop's product key (different from COA)
- Can I use that with the OEM installer that I downloaded from the net? Do I still have to activate it? (the tutorial on the first page had me into a dead end when it showed some kind of vbscript...)

thanks

ZaForD

ZaForD

• PipPip
  • 182 posts
@ chickenfeed,
I'm kinda new here, but i'll try and help you.

If you use the VB script from the first post on your HP, you should end up with these 5 files:

OEMBIOS.BI_
OEMBIOS.CA_
OEMBIOS.DA_
OEMBIOS.SI_
winnt.sif

The winnt.sif is very basic so you may want to edit it.

Add the 5 files to the i386 folder of your CD and burn it to a Bootable CD.
Next time you install Home, you shouldn't have to activate it. :)

@ herroyuy,
Basically Yes.
See above. :)

Edited by ZaForD, 15 June 2006 - 05:38 AM.

Posted Image
-------------- Posted Image --------------

herroyuy

herroyuy
  • 5 posts
hmm.. thanks alot for ur reply .. i just wanna make sure again cos i've tried overwriting the whole i386 folder in the cd with the i386 folder that comes together with my preactivated windows... now i realize that the 5 files are not in the i386 folder.... hehehe.. can' wait to try... shall report back after i format tomrrow.. can't format now as i have to study using power point... wt*!

ZaForD

ZaForD

• PipPip
  • 182 posts
herroyuy

Try using the i386 folder from an OEM disk if you can.
I tried using the one from the hard drive of a Dell last week and get nothing but errors. :(

Posted Image
-------------- Posted Image --------------

herroyuy

herroyuy
  • 5 posts
thanks fro ur advice.. yeah.. i stick back to the folder in cd just that i added the 5 files and replaced the setupp.ini so that even the product id is not changed.. that shud workd rihg?

chickenfeed

chickenfeed

• 18 posts
@ ZaForD

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I see now. so the bat file just gets data from the current windows inallation. and the vb script is to get the winxp key and place that info into the winnt file that the bat created.

man that tutorial os soooooooooooooo user unfriendly

would have it more easier if they said:
- copy the following text into notepad. name one "blah blah" and the other "blah blah" exactly.
- put in any folder both files.
- run bat file and then run vbs file.
- copy the 5 files created into the .... blah blah.
- the end.

haha thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN