System Restore Problem

paulmor

Ok, heres my setup

Two hard disks:

Hard Disk 1: NTFS WinXP Corporate (C: in XP)

FAT Partition for files (was G: in XP:)

Hard Disk 2: Linux Partitions

NTFS partition for file storage (D: in XP)

The problem is this:

I only created the second partition on hard disk one recently to share files between my XP and Linux setups (theres no read/write NTFS driver for Linux). However, I also recently installed PGP Personal Security 7.02 and have had a few problems with it so I decided to use System Restore to my last restore point. I only did this because after uninstalling PGP I was still getting strange problems.

All sounds well BUT the last restore point was before I created the FAT partition on hard disk one. Nevertheless XP booted correctly, but the minute it got to the login screen everything halted, I cannot move the mouse, keyboard or anything. Nothing works but a hard reset.

On a second boot XP stated that drive d: (which should be my NTFS partition on hard disk 2 was out of sync and ran scan disk. Obviously, Windows is now mistaking the second partition on hard disk 1 as D: and not the NTFS partition on hard disk 2.

So I tried all the standard fixes, safe mode etc you name it but no luck. Windows locks on the login screen and only a reset gets it out of it. I tried restoring the last known good configuration but again no luck, the same problem occurs (I think becuase windows boots correctly - at least in theory this was never going to work).

I tried entering repair mode afrer booting with my windows xp cd but again no luck. I also tried Partition Magic (DOS version). It is reporting the FAT partition on hard disk 1 as c: even though the NTFS partition is set as active and primary. I tried hiding the FAT partition on hard disk 1 and even deleting it but no luck still.

I (stupidly) did not make rescue disks for win xp nor did I for norton utilities, something I am now killing myself. Could these help me in any way?, anyone know where I can get them from?. Does anybody have any idea what I can do?, this problem has got me totally stumped.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

paulmor

Rule of the day, Everyone should do this......

Before installing any new/untested s/ware or drives create a resore point then when it all goes tits you have a better chance of getting it all back...!! Here endeth todays lesson

Can anybody possibly give me some pointers?

Does anyone have a copy of the System Rescue disks for WinXP that I can get somewhere?.

Does anybody know if Norton Utilities 2002 allows you to run WinDoctor in DOS mode?

I am absolutely desperate here folks, any help and I would be eternally grateful :)

Thanks again,

paulmor

As I said in my original message if I choose last known good configuration I receive the same problem.

Additionally, even though input from the mouse and keyboard is blocked windows still appears to be loading, I can hear the hard disk accessing, my scanner initialize but again no matter how long I wait I cannot appear to use the mouse and keyboard.

I have tried differnet mice and different keyboards and still no difference.

Is there any way I can access system recovery?, or in some way boot into windows successfully?

Thanks,

paulmor

what XP disk?, do you mean boot from the XP CDROM?

I do not have any XP disks, do you know where I can get them from?. Do you mean the XP setup disks?, I believe you can download them from the microsoft site?.

thanks for your help so far :)

paulmor

OK, I booted from the XP install CD and went through the repair process. Howevewr, even during this process input from my mouse and keyboard was locked. Nevertheless it restores to a restore point a few days ago that I did not sent titled "unsigned driver install". I figure this is either from PGP or logitech itouch keyboard software.

It also says "if the problem still persists you can" and then lists two options, one of which to restore to a previous restore point. But even if I could use the keyboard or mouse the text does not appear underlined as a link.

I know there are other restore points because I made them. Do I need to click OK to get ot this option or have all my restore points been erased?.

Either way I am still locked from using my keyboard and mouse. I've tried different keyboard and mouse combos and I am almost certain it is not a hardware problem as everything functions fine in Linux.

Any other suggestions?, I'm getting desperate :)

paulmor