Windows Explorer Freezes

Wijono

Wijono

I made the patch.bat with notepad and save as "all files" patch.bat and place the old dll's in windows and it all works great, like you said I still need to let all 4 components access the net though. Is that ok ?

thanks

screenshot0030dq.gif

• 2 weeks later...
------

3. Get from Windows Update Catalog the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 2 (KB905915) - (Posted Date: December 08, 2005) for WinME (Yes, WinME!), from it you can then extract the most recent BROWSEUI.DLL Version 5.50.4948.700

4. Copy the 2 files BROWSEUI.DLL and BROWSELC.DLL just got into the folder C:\WINDOWS

5. Create a batch file, e.g., PATCH.BAT, that contains following lines:

CD %windir%\System

regsvr32 /u /s %windir%\System\browseui.dll

regsvr32 /u /s %windir%\System\browselc.dll

regsvr32 /i /s %windir%\browseui.dll

regsvr32 /i /s %windir%\browselc.dll

6. Run the PATCH.BAT above and reboot.

Cool what a random in my Windows 98 Upgrade Pack (see here) I'v also implemented the Bugfix against Explorer Freezing in IE6.0 (in the file bugfixen.exe)

and I've exactly used the same commands in my batchfile.

But I don't recommend you to take the browseui.dll(5.50.4948.700) from KB905915 for IE 5.5 SP2 Windows ME because

I once tested it and found out that you can also get the problem of a slowly reacting of Windows on deleting files.

Edited by X-Mas

the Windows Update keeps on telling me though, that Security Update KB905915 is required. Is there a way to trick the Windows Update not to tell me to do the KB905915 update?
There sure is!, when you go to windows update, uncheck the one you dont want and hit "download and install"! that will hide that update

• 2 weeks later...

Kartel,

Sorry for the late reply, I was on long holiday.

Great that you have made it. However your last question is not so clear for me.

Comment to X-Mas:

I did an experiment under browseui.dll (5.50.4948.700), I deleted approximately 4,500 files and 300 folders at one go, and everything went smoothly and fast, no problem at all.

Comment to wolf74481:

The idea behind is not just "hiding", as I have mentioned at the beginning of this thread, because the KB905915 update was basically done, so we should not be prompted to do it again.

• 2 years later...

The solution of putting the 5.50 files in \Windows and registering them as a very unpleasant consequence (verified on two systems).

Every folder that you enter defaults to a Large Icon view and, far worse, the option in Toools - View - make all foldders Like Current Folder no longer functions properly. You can set folders one by one to some other and its remembers the change to some extent, but this is sadly a deal breaker for me.

I have not yet fully experimented with the 5.50 files as straight replacements in the \Windows\System folder. With the 5.50 in both \Windows & \Windows\Sytem and with the registration still going to \Windows the problem persists.

Edited by cure

I did some tests of the Explorer lockup problem. Apparently the the browser dll replacement removes just some of the all shell and explorer lockup events. It helps, but it does not remove the problem.

Another solution is "Unofficial Explorer Lockups SHELL32.DLL Fix". It does not solve the problem completely, but removes some of the lockups as well.

On the other hand, when these two fixes are applied together, the explorer and shell lockups are as good as gone.

I am using Win98SE and IE6.0 SP1, if I try to delete a lot of files in a folder, Windows Explorer start to freeze. In the forum I found a solution by replacing BROWSEUI.DLL and BROWSELC.DLL that are meant for IE5.50 on WinME. The most recent version of BROWSEUI.DLL is 5.50.4948.700.

Now, the most recent security update KB905915 has among others replaced BROWSEUI.DLL with the version 6.00.2800.1692, resulting with the same problem again.

Sure, I immediately replaced it back with the version 5.50.4948.700 that works just fine. After this replacement, the Windows Update keeps on telling me though, that Security Update KB905915 is required. Is there a way to trick the Windows Update not to tell me to do the KB905915 update?

you can kill explorer in task manager.it usually comes back and releases the memory hogging for which it is guilty of usually.