HALT fix for Win2k?

fdv

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=59364&st=0

rChaz tracked the solution down, it seems, but some say that it is only for systems using HyperThreading Technology? anyone?

i applied the registry fix suggested, but this system i am testing on is HT. i'll try at home tonight to see if it makes a difference (i have a digital thermometer implanted in the cpu housing on my home machine so it will be easy to see if this works on a non-HT processor).

here is an MS KB:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=835730

it says it relates to sound, but keep reading (note "This problem is caused by the incorrect interpretation of the timing values that are returned by the system when hyperthreading is enabled, and the computer power state changes.")

Edited by fdv

You will need to make the registry change, and then use the /usepmtimer option in the boot.ini file. Yes, this does fix a halt issue that can cause excessive processor heat under W2K SP4 with URP1 installed (this also works on Athlon 64 x2 processors).

Hell yeah!

Athlon64 X2 4200+ @ FSB250 (2375Mhz).

The temp was 42°C. I applied the reg patch, rebooted, and was disappointed at first to see it only got to 41°C. But I decided to wait and sure enough the temperature dropped quickly one degree at a time to 31°C in roughly 4 minutes.

I wish I had continued to follow that thread...

Edited by Tomcat76

You will need to make the registry change, and then use the /usepmtimer option in the boot.ini file.
Why both? The reg patch did it for me. Does the boot.ini tweak do more?
I'll put it in HFSLIP.
I'm not sure that would be a good idea.
Also, adding those registry keys or a boot.ini switch to every machine touched by the rollup would actually be detrimental to those people who don't have dual-core or hyperthreaded processors
Edited by Tomcat76

You will need to make the registry change, and then use the /usepmtimer option in the boot.ini file. Yes, this does fix a halt issue that can cause excessive processor heat under W2K SP4 with URP1 installed (this also works on Athlon 64 x2 processors).

Actually, you only need to do one of the 2. Use the /pmtimer switch OR make the registry change.

the_guy

Good work, the_guy. I couldn't get anything to work but your inf actually added something to the registry.

I corrected the problems with it here:

[Version]
Signature = $Windows NT$
AdvancedINF = 2.0

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg = AddReg.Halt

[AddReg.Halt]
; 239887
HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\HAL","14140000FFFFFFFF",0x00010001,16

I gotsta add mine too!! :P

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\HAL","14140000FFFFFFFF",0x00010001,0a,00,00,00

Can anyone confirm, BTW, if this really harms a non-HT proc? Or if it's just useless in non-HT?

just add it, - Gurglemeyer added it in uSP.5 (lateest build) and it works fine on both OEMs HT's and non-HTs only proc im not aware of is 'Ax64* (in 32bit ht-mode)',

(* Amd x64 (athlon 64), has some series that let windows think its bit 33 to 64 are actualy a Hyperthreaded vcore).