Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How do I change Hard Drive Icons?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Nerwin

Nerwin

Photographer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
How do I change Hard Drive Icons in Windows Xp Pro?

Desktop: Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.8ghz || G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 2133 || ASUS P8Z77-V LK || 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD || 640gb WD SATA HDD || Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || Corsair TX650M || ASUS 24X SATA DVD Burner || Fractal Designs Arc Midi || Windows 7 64-bit 

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Access Denied

Access Denied

Access Denied

• PipPip
  • 239 posts
Here is the contents of a file I have called driveicons.reg that I use to change mine with. Copy and paste this into a text file, but rename it with *.reg extension (txt is default). Make the necessary letter changes to match your pc. Also note in the bottom part, the path uses \\ instead of \ like normal. Change the path to match your icons location for each drive letter. Save the new reg file incase you ever need it again. Either right click/choose "merge" or double click the reg file and click Yes. Enjoy!

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\A]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\C]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\D]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\E]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\F]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\G]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\H]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\A\DefaultIcon]
@="S:\\PATH\\TO\\THE\\ICON\\FILENAME.ICO"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\C\DefaultIcon]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\D\DefaultIcon]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\E\DefaultIcon]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\F\DefaultIcon]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\G\DefaultIcon]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\H\DefaultIcon]

Q9650 w/ P5Q PRO
4 GB DDR2 OCZ 1200

EchoNoise

EchoNoise

Defender of the Penguin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
Remember those AutoRun.INF files that are put on most commercial CD Games/Applications??

Copy the same AutoRun.INF file to your hard drive(s) ROOT directory (a.k.a C:\) and then edit it with notepad, and it will say an icon showing the filename, you can edit the name of the icon file in the AutoRun.INF file, then you create an icon and save it to the ROOT directory again.

Make sure that you point to the same icon as you did in the AutoRun.INF file :)

You can also make the AutoRun.INF hidden aswell as the icon :)
Posted Image

Nerwin

Nerwin

Photographer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
This is the icon i want to be for one of my drives.

Posted Image

Desktop: Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.8ghz || G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 2133 || ASUS P8Z77-V LK || 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD || 640gb WD SATA HDD || Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || Corsair TX650M || ASUS 24X SATA DVD Burner || Fractal Designs Arc Midi || Windows 7 64-bit 

Access Denied

Access Denied

Access Denied

• PipPip
  • 239 posts
You will need some kind of extractor to get the icon from the shell32.dll file. I have never done this, but surely someone will be able to tell ya how to do it.

Edited by accessdenied042, 31 December 2005 - 08:28 PM.

Q9650 w/ P5Q PRO
4 GB DDR2 OCZ 1200

BlueMe

BlueMe

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
Use the reg file that accessdenied042 gaved you and point to shell32.dll ..here's another way

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\C\DefaultIcon]
@="shell32.dll,9"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\D\DefaultIcon]
@="shell32.dll,9"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\E\DefaultIcon]
@="shell32.dll,9"

Save this in notepad with .REG extension, ...importing this in your registry will change the C,D,E drives icons to the one you want.

Edited by BlueMe, 04 January 2006 - 01:30 AM.

Nerwin

Nerwin

Photographer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
i only want to change one drive

PITU

PITU

• 41 posts
@="shell32.dll,9"

The Driveletter you want to edit the icon for goes here:

Nerwin

Nerwin

Photographer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
thank you

The008

The008

MSFN Curious

• PipPip
  • 124 posts
try Iconworkshop! (www.axialis.com)
It can change any icon you want, on startmenu, Hd, CD, anything! It's great!

Posted Image

BlueMe

BlueMe

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
Why pay when its easy and free ? :P

WolfX2

WolfX2

Werewolf? Here's Wolf! :P

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 694 posts
icon packager will get the job done the best

humblefin

humblefin

• 10 posts
Yeah i use iconpackager and it changes the icons nice and easy with no fuss. :D

jey

jey
  • 1 posts
Hi, I've tried this way and this in the post here; http://www.msfn.org/...showtopic=47780
And nothing seems to work for me to change the system-icons..
Anyone know why or something?
I also tried to combine these two ways, but didn't work either :}

I'm using Win XP Home..

Thankful for reply.

/jey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN