"iTunes vs. Winamp...?"

TheBlackMan

Wow, long time no post. I like the new interface! :thumbup Anyway, this Christmas I decided to splurge a little and join the crowd by purchasing an iPod (Black, 60GB :D). I like the way that iTunes catalogs my music, but I don't like how it seems to take control over my music. I've looked into iTunes alternatives and mostly all I have found is Anapod Explorer, but I'm not willing to spend $25 when iTunes is free. So, that leaves iTunes on my machine, but it uses sooo much memory compared to Winamp. I'll have iTunes sitting idle while Winamp plays a song using 1/3 of the memory that iTunes uses. However, since I'm probably going to be updating my iPod constantly with new tunes I might as well leave it running all the time. This brings me to my question as far as my default media player. iTunes can be my default player, but how does it compare to Winamp? Also, I have heard alot about VLC. I used a combination of Winamp and Media Player Classic, does VLC top MPC? Thanks for any input!

You can use Winamp to transfer songs to your iPod as well. the ML_iPod plugin will do this for you.

I've got Winamp set as my default music player. Videos are taken care of MPC (with XP Codec Pack + QT Alt + Real Alt). I've had some problems with VLC and subtitled movies, but the DirectVobSub plugin for MPC does the trick everytime. :)

XMPlay is the best. Its very small, nothing to install, doesnt touch the registry, skinable, supports probably every audio format with its plugins, and even takes winamp's plugins. The trick is to get a good skin like wamodern or ixmplay because most are not going to like the default one.

I have never seen anyone argue winamp is better, probably because most people who use winamp just have not heard about xmplay. I am sure most of them would switch.

Edited by DigeratiPrime

Hehe... DigeratiPrime. I just tested out XMPlay. Played with it for about 20 minutes or so, but was unable to get the one key Winamp plugin to work for me - Media Library. I followed through the readme file, but no luck. Without a proper self-updating media library, XMPlay just doesn't cut it for me.

To each their own. :)

thats cool zxian. I personally dont like media libraries, never used it with WMP10.

Not sure if you noticed but XMPlay does have a library / extended playlist.

heres a screenshot of it with ixmplay skin:

library5wp.png

Edited by DigeratiPrime

I have to admit...I am quite impressed with XMPlay. The 'default' skin isn't that bad, but it doesn't have that feel that I like; however, the skins you can download are amazing! It uses less memory than Winamp did, even the classic skin. As far as a an application that plays video, I'm still taken by MPC (Media Player Classic), but as far as audio is concerned XMPlay has won me over. It's a shame that Winamp has become so bloated. Thanks for helping me see the "light" DigeratiPrime. :P

I have to admit...I am quite impressed with XMPlay. The 'default' skin isn't that bad, but it doesn't have that feel that I like; however, the skins you can download are amazing! It uses less memory than Winamp did, even the classic skin. As far as a an application that plays video, I'm still taken by MPC (Media Player Classic), but as far as audio is concerned XMPlay has won me over. It's a shame that Winamp has become so bloated. Thanks for helping me see the "light" DigeratiPrime. :P

Cheers! :thumbup

@Digerati Impressed by XMPlay but will take time 2 shift frm winamp.btw frm where 2 d/l xmplay skins suggested by u?as far as vlc and MPC go i prefer VLC over ne other player.in itunes vs Winamp thing get hold of ipod plugin of winamp suggested by Zxian coz i may not b sure but iTunes doesn't allow transfer of music frm iPod 2 PC.(dunno bout latest ipod version,correct me if i'm wrong)so u need a 3rd party app,so go with Winamp

@Technoguy yeah they do need to update the site, its difficult to see the links.

To set the skin you just rightclick anywhere on xmplay and the menu pops up, likewise doubleclick on it to switch between mini and normal skin.

Skins - http://www.un4seen.com/xmplay.html#skins

Support - http://support.xmplay.com/index.html

screenshots:

neoshooter19yv.png

xmplaymem0vf.png

xmplaysite0qa.png

Edited by DigeratiPrime

Ahh, I remember xmplay (or whatever it was called then) when it only played mod / tracker files, way back in the day. It was the absolute best at that time also. Gonna give it a download and try - does the winamp plugin to update your ipod work ok with it? If so, iTunes is getting the boot :)

Unless I am way off in my memory, the original coder of this software was also responsible for the 'PEtite' exe packer (Ian C Luck). He also wrote a few libraries to add audio support for programmers.

Personally, at the moment I use VLC for all my audio / video needs, but that may change at least on the audio side now.....

Thanks DigeratiPrime for the heads up :)

SP