Custom windows 2000

I want to make a windows 2000 customized slightly. Mostly I want to lower the comitt to the upper 20's or lower 30's without losing much functionality. Also I want to lose IE and outlook in the process. I am going to keep the same shell and explorer.ex.

Can some give pointers on this?

Thanks

dirt

Hi Dirt,

You are still looking for the best choice, aren't you? ;)

Try HFSLIP with HFCLEAN folder filled (you can find reducers on FDV's site ;) Using TommyP's and my reducers I was able to make my W2k installation source as small as 76MB (I count only i386 folder contents as I need some languages in LANG folder). The commit is about 28MB (on VirtualPC). Windows run's withot errors and can even be used for some work (typing in OpenOffice) and fun (simple games).

BUT! You can't really use such Windows because a lot of things are missing: when you install the drivers for your display adapter and sound card the commit will be more than 30MB; support for some hardware is dropped and you can't install a lot of hardware; you will have some problems connecting to the internet by modem, you probably can't use a lot of applications (it took me about a week to find out which file I need to leave so that run one of my favourite programes) and so on.

I'm working on a reducers set that will leave most functionality (all in fact except for IE, OE and some related components). My installation source which complies with this purpose is 106MB now. But it is alsow depends on personal prefferences (I don't use databases so I delete MDAC, I don't install DX9 and I delete MSXML support as I don't use M$ Office, IE and programs that need it - for example).

Using reducers are really simple - just take ones you need like choosing options in nLite ;)

Thanks

Size isnt a serious factor but I would like to reduce some. Getting the comit lower is what its all about and well functionality also.

I failed on 2 attempts to use this. I follow the directions, I dont think I have a learning disability but I have been dropped on my head a few times :wacko: .

I will use it again but need small step by step instructions :blink:

Thanks

dirt

Then don't hurry ;)

Step 1. Copy i386 folder with W2k installation and 3 markup files somewhere on your hard disk in a folder say HFSLIP :) (cdrom_ip.5, cdrom_nt.5, cdromsp4.tst - the last file is not necessery if you don't integrate SP4).

Step 2. Download FDV's latest fileset and "inject" the contents in i386 folder (agree replacing files).

Step 3. Get boot.bin/img file for W2k and create a bootable disk.

Step 4. Install and enjoy! ;)

If you like the result (the commit ;) you can go further - download latest HFSLIP*.CMD, reducers set (RDV, REM and RIN files) and run CMD for the first time. Fill the folders according instructions and create HFCLEAN folder (don't add hotfixes, IE6 and DX9 for the first time too). Place only one reducer for the first trial! I recommend Drivers_Printers.RDV - this one with running HFSLIP will give you about 25MB saved on your next CD. If you like the result again, go further and explore with some more reducers (watch if all your hardware installs and sofware you need runs smoothly).

You can also try make one installation on virtual computer (VirtualPC) after HFSLIPing with the whole reducers set. Just to see how powerfull you can be in removing things and W2k still works.

PS Where you have problems? At least first few steps should work without problem and if you have problems running HFSLIP - ask.

Edited by Oleg_II

• 2 weeks later...

dirtwarrior

Themes. There was a post about themes somewhere in HFSLIP Forum. I don't use them but as far as I understood it's possible. However note that themes in w2k are not the same thing as in XP.

Deleting files. Not tried deleting these 3 (I'm not sure what are they for). Try it and let us know.

PS I'm trying to delete the files for which I know what are they used for and I'm moving slowly ;)