Dual Ethernet Cards

hbinded

Hi guys!

I recently got a PCI Ethernet card in addition to the on-board one. I already have the onboard Ethernet connected to the hostel's LAN (which has a monthly volume restriction of 1 GB!!! :no: . But I want to have my own ADSL connection on the other LAN card. Could this setup be possible? in that, when my monthly volume from the Hostel's LAN gets finished, I can continue using the ADSL flat :thumbup ?

Please help!

wont work too well if you get it to work. windows will keep switching between the both of them.

the purpose for having 2 ports on a mobo is so that you could set one for online and the other for your network. our you could setup your computer as a router.

but i would recommend that you try it out and report back to us, it may work out well but who knows, it all depends on your isp and how your comp is configed.

the thing to remeber is to set a static ip address for the 2 ports but make sure that they both have different ip addresses or else you will have a conflict.

Well, I will be having two ISP's then, with totally different IP's. One of my ISP's bases my IP address on my MAC address. The other one generates my IP address randomly (I suppose;- will get it next week on wednesday) So if the IP addresses are different, then would it work, theoretically?

Well, I will be having two ISP's then, with totally different IP's. One of my ISP's bases my IP address on my MAC address. The other one generates my IP address randomly (I suppose;- will get it next week on wednesday) So if the IP addresses are different, then would it work, theoretically?

It's free and just there- Why not use it?

I just don't see the point if it limits you and you're going to be paying for another ISP anyway.

:yes:

You are right there. Anyways, will just try it for the sake of it. Will post the results here next week.

Thanks!

Using 2 nics with 2 different isps should work fine as long as you disable the nic you aren't using in network connections. This should force windows to avoid any conflict.

I haven't tried 2 isps before, but I have set up 2 nics in one pc on a friend's pc (he's too cheap to spring for a router), 1 for internet and 1 for internet connection sharing and it worked great.

you need a server os if memory serves aka nt4.0, win2000, win2003 in order to have the correct routing / multi link capabiltes. and control when given limites are reached.

winxp pro / home, winME, win98, etc... just don't have the guts / apps / abiltties / to do what you are wanting without headaches and expesive third party application.

a cisco router could do it. but last i check the be out of me budget and i am sure yours.

if your pc was running some flavor of linux you could prolly make it all work once you learned your way around in linux.

Multihoming is easy. Multi-routing, however, is definitely out of the question for the average PC user.

To be honest though I don't think he needs to go either route in this situation. One ISP is free but limits the amount of transfer per month. The other he pays for but has unlimited transfer. Personally, I'd just not use the limited one at all.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

I tried it out, and it didn't make any difference with my surfing/dls. I just downloaded some files (5 GB) and my free ISP has already blocked my internet acess. But I didn't have to fiddle with the connections. I just went on using the internet as usual. -_-