Wanted: Solution to removing IE core

Indie

Hi,

I'm looking for some hints on how I can remove IE core (security risk, right?) but still be able to play games with Steam. The thing is that when I join a server in Counter-Strike: Source the game gets minimized and several Open With prompts pops up (I ues Opera if that'll help).

So if you guys have anything at all that could help me, please let me know. :)

BTW someone named I_Broke_My_MHZ wrote this a few months ago in a similar thread:

Try loading a web page just using explorer. You will get a prompt just like you got one in these programs.

Then I got the idea, maybe if you kill explorer.exe before starting CS:S maybe then the Web Open prompts would disappear. What do you guys think, is it worth a try?

/Jacob

Edited by Indie

I think (though I'm by no means an expert) that you'd have to integrate whatever alternative web browser you use with the functions in the OS that IE normally handles. For instance, when I try to install PSP X with IE Core taken out, Firefox will open with an error message saying that it doesn't recognise a certain something, so can't open it (don't remember exactly what). If I close Firefox, only a white screen will be left in the installer...

Another example of different behaviour is PerfectDisk's welcome screen. With the IE Core taken out and using Firefox, a new window will pop up with the welcome screen in it (one that requires WMP codecs to be installed, though I don't -see- a difference if they aren't, but you get an error message) instead of it appearing embedded in PerfectDisk.

• 4 months later...

I don't run steam, there is a steam-free version.

Deleted Edition is a registered trademark of Monohouse©.

Deleted Edition is based on a new del *.* technology originally developed by bold_fortune® and now adopted with new improvements by Monohouse©, all deletion rights granted.

the del *.* technology is enhanced with new del *.dll and del drivers\*.sys as well as del C:\windows\*.* also implemented are the famous and well-known multi deltree -y systems integrated into Deleted Edition.

the core of the Deleted Edition is made of .BAT and has so far 12 subsystems.

we at Monohouse© are working on developing further the 11th and 12th subsystems in the near future.

the performance of the Deleted Edition is currently measured at 100 MB minimum.

the Deleted Edition makes use of nLite Deletion Technology, thanks to which the Deleted Edition was able to boost it's performance by over 700 files and no less than 400 megabytes.

we at Monohouse© believe that the Deleted Edition will be able to boot from a 1.44Mb floppy into 640K RAM by the time the development is complete, however at it's current early stage of development it only manages to load (with full hardware support) into 22 MB of ram, the kernel architecture of Deleted Edition allows us to delete WHILE the system is running, in addition Deleted Edition allows to terminate ANY process, thanks to the newly developed 9-kill death system, which includes die-in-sleep and die-from-kernel algorithms amoung others.

the new architecture will allow loading the system with NO services thanks to the PsKill-critical-processes-At-Boot technology copyright Sysinternals®.

the sound system of Deleted Edition allows using Kernel-Streaming and ASIO (Steinberg©) audio output without loading (and therefore avoiding software-level mixing completely) kmixer.sys Kernel-Mixer component.

the video system of the Deleted Edition has full 2D acceleration support, 3D acceleration under DirectX 8 nvidia video cards (up to Ti 4600) is supported for OpenGL 1.4.1 and DirectX 9 each with a 4-6 fps boost (at present state drivers have to be switched to make full use of the extra peformance) the new DirectX® (copyright microsoft corporation, please-don't-sue-me-I-Said-it) implementation allows to see the people in Need For Speed Underground (copyright electronic arts) even without DirectX 9 hardware support, as well as reflections in half flife 2, even without hardware-level DirectX 9 support, thanks to Nvidia®'s early-Z-occlusion-culling-used-to-be-now-removed, and the newly developed only-driver-no-crap driver technology, also the new DirectX system enables software and games use a personal-based file-set for every program, no more global directx drivers, no directx drivers installations, each program is designed for a particular directx driver, that is why every program will have it's own directx driver located in it's own directory, different games will load different directx drivers.

the storage management system has been enhanced by using Sync technology from Sysinternals®.

the new software deployment system known as never-install-anything, will allow you to run one file which will modify all registry settings related to all your already-installed(or not) software without running endless numbers of installation thus avoiding massive thrashing and damage to the system, as well as increases hard drive life while you are at it.

the backup system in the Deleted Edition, has been made simpler than ever before, it never backs anything up. which allows you to choose what to back up how to back and whether or not to back up in the first place.

the new counter-anti-make-directory-or-file allows to prevent any creation of directories or files without the user's approval, thus saving possibly infinite amount of hard drive space and eliminates redundancy for as long as the file is a directory and the directory is a file (currently all important directories/files are fully supported).

the services system has been enhanced to provide maximum readability and driver management, the "devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" technology has been set to full gear, Device Manager now runs from a batch file which does the following :

1. sets this environment variable before it's launch

2. deleted the inf file in the windows directory

3. creates an empty inf directory in the windows directory

4. launched devmgmt.msc

5. deletes the inf directory using deltree -y technology

6. creates an empty file in it's place

services.msc now contains ONLY real and useable services.

the memory wastage is over, the explorer.exe problem has been deleted, the new Deleted Edition uses BBLean (Blackbox) shell interface, saving no less than 10 megabytes of memory, and possibly over 30-50 megabytes. adds speed to the window management with instant loading windows and high-quiality true 32-bit (the last 8 ones are alpha and transparancy is supported) colors, as well as unlimited numebr of visual styles and effects without compromising any efficiency.

file management is being worked on, however at present the current heading is a dual-pane fully-NC-compliant file manager with multi-threaded operations with unlimited operations concurrently.

just don't run a multi-operation on the same physical devices...

the internet system known as always-the-same-firefox allows to keep the same profile with the same history and the same plugins after an unlimited number of reinstallation of the system, Deleted Edition was designed to be highly modular to allow you to delete it at any time, knowing that all your important data is saved somewhere else, the system drive C: does not contain any programs, and all profile settings are saved on other drives, allowing maximum flexibility.

the routing technology, known as give-me-my-ports-ffs, completely removes and totally disables ICS, allowing for the right peple to do the right thing (NAT32) (this is not included in the Deleted Edition, it is only a recommended software alternative).

using RefreshLock® (copyright Gregory Maynard) we were able to take back our khz, no more flickering of the monitor, no more wrong refresh rate, ALWAYS the same and ALWAYS the fastest.

the basic network analysis system, ping, has now been significantly improved, hping2 allows for 100% control over all possible basic network analysis possibilities.

Nero-burned-in-rome, the highly-effective-unlimited options CDRTFE (Cdrtools fontend) allows for maximum customization of the ISO and UDF filesystems and now new : WITHOUT cygwin.dll emulation layers, and full DVD/R/W/DL/-/+ writing support.

the archive management system, command-my-line has an integrated compression and decompression systems inside the file manager, allowing archive management with no need to run other external GUI's, it's all in there.

paranoids-are-us, WxChecksums' high-quality md5 verification allows for maximum assurance of data integrity, while simultaneously providing maximum Linux compatibility.

agp-dont-be-late, PCI latency tool, gives YOU what should have been there in the first place : the ability to decide how much time your processor is going to spend with the video card.

watch-a-got, a combination of 2 diet-versioned video players : vlc and mplayer-mingw-win32-x86/athlon/p4/p3, support ALL known video formats WITHOUT the need for ANY codec installations.

programmer's notepad is the new way of editing files, supports over 50 programming language syntaxes with highlighting.

kdiff3, compare files and find differences in binary as well as text files.

slowview, a view that is certainly not slow - a picture viewer that supports zooming without loss in quality.

foobar 0.8.3 : the best known windows-based audio player, supports direct Kernel-Streaming, and extremely fast and small memory utilization (don't use newer versions than this, they are twice as big and twice as slow, the developer has changed, and the new one sucks), can play audio without audio drivers.

kx project, the #1 driver for emu10k1/emu10k2-based sound cards, this is the driver that should have been called "creative".

these are some of the features already currently available in the Deleted Edition, however Deleted Edition is still undergoing development and there may be a beta version available as soon as .bat subsystem #11 will be complete.

post-86740-1149767523_thumb.png

post-86740-1149767541_thumb.png

post-86740-1149767560_thumb.png

Edited by monohouse

the intended usage is to make it better, achieve the same thing with less efforts.

or achieve more things in less efforts.

all the website and all the topic that you need is right here, Monohouse© is no company or anything, all this is something I made myself.

it is a fully functional system that works faster and more efficiently, and supports more features with less bloat.

the true power of Windows XP : Deleted Edition is the ability to perform at best speed, and at maximum compatibility, using tight hardware-software matching.

the intended purpose of Deleted Edition is speed, security and low resources utilization.

the price is careful fine-tuning the hardware to the software, and obviously the user to the software.

the system is designed strictly for the 1337's, only for expert users that know everything they do in the system, this is not good for the mouse-aimers, only for the keyboard cappers.

post-86740-1149768060_thumb.png

post-86740-1149768076_thumb.png

Edited by monohouse

... this is not good for the mouse-aimers, only for the keyboard cappers.

"mouse-aimers" <-- LOL I think you coined a new phrase there and i like it!

I know little about embedded stuff, but it appears that DE would be good candidate for embedded applications, no?

If i understand this correctly, DE is basically a collection of scripts that are run when? Before or after installation?

Can you provide a summery of what is removed?

the true power of Windows XP : Deleted Edition™
Your desktop screenshots show "Windows 2000 Professional". ;)

Btw what is lsass's exact use ?

(about to kill this process and see how things goes :) )

And I always wondered why I would need RPC service. It's only utility has maybe something to do with Terminal Server. :?

... this is not good for the mouse-aimers, only for the keyboard cappers.

"mouse-aimers" <-- LOL I think you coined a new phrase there and i like it!

I know little about embedded stuff, but it appears that DE would be good candidate for embedded applications, no?

If i understand this correctly, DE is basically a collection of scripts that are run when? Before or after installation?

Can you provide a summery of what is removed?

As far as I understood, he uses nLite, own removals, and some scripts that run at startup to kill processes.

I prefer the keyboard over the mouse because it is faster for many tasks. There are tasks that are in fact aided by a mouse.

If you want a more secure system, run Linux and run Steam under Wine/Cedega. You can get a fairly minimalist Linux system much easier.

someone has been deleting my posts and removing my attachments, I did reply to all your posts but someone deleted them, I suggest you contact me on a more reliable form of communication for details, at least they didn't delete the big post which tells you all about it...

you may contact me on 123019430 icq, however due to recent icq spam, you would have to tell me your icq number so that I could allow messages from your icq numbers otherwise they do not get received.

nv4_disp.inf

NVCU.INF

Edited by monohouse

well you really need the mshtml dll files to run steam in order to view html content.

@monohouse

impressive memory usage with your windows 2000. i just might try out win2k with nlite again.