Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Wanted: Solution to removing IE core

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Camarade_Tux

Camarade_Tux

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

I don't see what functionality was lost here, the obvious loss of functionality from killing the winblows xp processes only occurs if imho you kill the processes.

I experimented a bit on my computer. For example killink lsass.exe prevents me from closing my session. Do you mean you don't have this problem ?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

monohouse

monohouse

Junior

• Pip
  • 99 posts
I recommend NOT to use ntfs filesystem on the boot drive, and unfortunately Deleted Edition™ does not cover writing to ntfs volumes in real mode DOS (does it work anywhere other than winblows ?) not even Linux can write to ntfs drives, ntfs sucks, use fat16 on your boot drive C and make sure it's size is less than 2 GB (you don't need any more than that for your boot drive anyway). fat16 is fastest of all winblows filesystems, especially with a 64K cluster size.

yes it is very likely that if you kill winlogon.exe and lsass.exe you will not be able to :

1. use CTRL+ALT+DELETE menu
2. be able to use winblows' shutdown/restart (maybe standby too)
3. possibly loose the ability to copy text from firefox

but think for a moment, what do you do when you press CTRL+ALT+DELETE ? what do you need it for ?
for me the answer is simple, when there is no other task manager can be run, you can try to use CTRL+ALT+DELETE to get the winblows task manager, but we already have a much better task manager so we don't need it.

what is special about winblows' shutdown/restart ? nothing, the only thing that matters is to make sure that cached hard disk data gets written to disk and not get lost, that is easily accomplished with Sysinternals's Sync, it's on their site, you can find it.

you have no problem to shutdown/restart with your buttons as long as you run Sync first, so all you have to do is run Sync and press the shutdown/restart buttons.

im afraid that the only way to support ntfs, is to get writing support for ntfs under DOS.

Edited by monohouse, 12 June 2006 - 09:37 AM.

shix

shix

Junior

• Pip
  • 63 posts
@monohouse

thanks for the info.

i admire your ideas about getting rid of the crap from windows.

enderandrew

enderandrew

Junior

• Pip
  • 70 posts
NTFS has much better performance than FAT and FAT32.

And Linux can in fact write to NTFS. The patch is in the mainline kernel, you just have to enable it. It is quite stable.

I'd still prefer something like EXT3 or Reiser4, but Windows is not about to run on those anytime soon.

JuiCe_pl

JuiCe_pl
  • 7 posts
Hi! Very interesting! What is the effect of runing the del edition on Windows 2003?

Camarade_Tux

Camarade_Tux

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

NTFS has much better performance than FAT and FAT32.

Depends on what you do. And NTFS has this security thing I love so much (take ownership of folders that do not belong toyou :lol: )

And Linux can in fact write to NTFS. The patch is in the mainline kernel, you just have to enable it. It is quite stable.

Patchs and 3-party app. Btw "write" is disabled by default when mounting an NTFS volume.

I'd still prefer something like EXT3 or Reiser4, but Windows is not about to run on those anytime soon.

I think we could make it run on that. :whistle:
The hardest part is to make it understand ext, Reiser, XFS, ZFS permission system.

EchoNoise

EchoNoise

Defender of the Penguin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
Trust me... I've been down the path of creating a EXT3 windows loader... absolutely no go... even harder with XFS... but I didn't try Reiser, but I can't see that happening either!

I'm preeeeeetty sure that Windows will never run on a journalised system.
Posted Image

Camarade_Tux

Camarade_Tux

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
:lol:

And afaik ntfs is journalized. :P
But of course, this would be a bit unreal. ;)

EchoNoise

EchoNoise

Defender of the Penguin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
NTFS is journalised?

Wow.. I didn't know that! :lol:

Posted Image

monohouse

monohouse

Junior

• Pip
  • 99 posts
NTFS writing is just as suck on linux as ext3 writing on winblows.

I don't know winblows 2003, I've seen it once, made me throw up.
you're on your own if you're going to test deleted edition on 2003, I think you're gonna have to add at least as much deletion lines into the batch files as there are now :w00t: bill it seems increases his crap 2x more every new version, but recently, he increased the size to 10x (from 400 mb (2003) to 4000 mb (vista)), he's getting better, anytime we add 400 lines of "del" and "deltree" codes into Deleted Edition™, bill adds 4000 new files, not something I can keep up with, same thing with all these "service packs", every version adds at least 100 more new files, the directx "drivers" add by themselves over 100 files (not needed files).

at least, with Deleted Edition™ you can have less than 300 files in the windows directory (recursively).
I hope to be able to achieve as low as 100 total winblows files.

JuiCe_pl

JuiCe_pl
  • 7 posts
Well I will give it a try - since I have some free time now...

I will share my experiences with U, when I do it, ASAP

monohouse

monohouse

Junior

• Pip
  • 99 posts
ok duude, meanwhile I will work on the "contact" page.

I_Broke_My_MHZ

I_Broke_My_MHZ

• PipPip
  • 185 posts
I love how monohouse just took it upon himself to hijack this thread.

shix

shix

Junior

• Pip
  • 63 posts
agreed.

monohouse

monohouse

Junior

• Pip
  • 99 posts
I didn't hijack anything the duude has already been provided with the solution to his problem, now it's just the continuation ;) which is btw one possible solution to removing IE core :D :lol:

and I believe you should be able to find ext2fs support for winblows here : ext2 IFS
as well as here : ext2fsd
and last and most certainly least ($$$) : Paragon ext2fs Anywhere
hey nuhi duude congrats on teh new version.

Edited by monohouse, 29 June 2006 - 12:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN