MSN Messenger 6.0 and Windows XP

nekkid

Just wanted to let you guys know that if you're running Windows XP, you will find that having Windows Messenger installed will "heal" a lot of the issues with MSN Messenger 6.0. :) I had removed it (Before installing MSN 6) and when I installed MSN 6 I found several issues with it. It didn't run properly either. I decided to re-install Windows Messenger, and almost all of my issues have gone away. :rolleyes:

Just thought I'd let you guys know :D

I think maybe I may have mis-communicated.

Having Windows Messenger installed WITH MSN 6.0 helps with many of the issues. So if you're using Windows XP, do not remove Windows Messenger if you're going to install MSN 6.0.

I deleted mine before I installed MSN 6 and I've had no problems...weird thing was if I went to Add/Remove Windows components and tried to remove it, the Window MEssenger wasnt listed...how strange. But no problemo's watsoever. Plus, if I had Windows Messenger+Msn Messenger, it used to bring both version up on startup, load both up+try to sign me in on both, obviously resulting in all hell let loose! w00t

I deleted mine before I installed MSN 6 and I've had no problems...weird thing was if I went to Add/Remove Windows components and tried to remove it, the Window MEssenger wasnt listed...how strange.  But no problemo's watsoever.  Plus, if I had Windows Messenger+Msn Messenger, it used to bring both version up on startup, load both up+try to sign me in on both, obviously resulting in all hell let loose! w00t

The reason Windows Messenger does not show in Add/REmove programs is because it is hidden (obvious I know) :)

To remove it:

edit C:\windows\inf\sysoc.inf. Look for the line starting with "msmsgs" and remove "hide" (leaving the ",") from the end of this line. Goto Control Panel -> Add/Remove -> Windows Components. Windows Messenger should now be listed.

Just so you know :rolleyes:

You can also remove Windows Messenger (and MSN Explorer to) with Add/Remove Windows Components also found in the Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. It is in the left pane.

post-19-1055085783_thumb.jpg