Sandboxie version 2.22

Araknis

Sandboxie: intercepts changes to both your files and registry settings, making it virtually impossible for any software to reach outside the sandbox.

You may want to run your Web browser inside the sandbox most of the time. This way any incoming, unsolicited software (spyware, malware and the like) that you download, is trapped in the sandbox. Changes made to your list of Favorites or Bookmarks, hijacking of your preferred start page, new and unwanted icons on your desktop -- all these, and more, are trapped in and bound to the sandbox.

You could also try a new toolbar add-on, browser extension or just about any kind of software. If you don't like it, you throw away the sandbox, and start again with a fresh sandbox. On the other hand, if you do like the new piece of software, you can re-install it outside the sandbox so it becomes a permanent part of your system.

Download: Sandboxie 32-bit Edition (Freeware) | Sandboxie 64-bit Editon (Freeware)

View: Using Sandboxie (With Screenshots) | FAQs

Homepage: Sandboxie

Thats really cool! I actually didnt even know that existed!

But ... Doesnt VMWare pratically does the same thing?

From what I understood Sandboxie "creates" a Virtual PC.

Correct me if Im wrong, but, Im just trying to understand if that is worth trying! :)

No, its not like VMWare as it does not "create" a Virtual PC - OS in a OS.

What it does is install a system driver that "Sandboxes" Read|Write operations.

You must run the program through the sandbox that sits in the system tray.

The program works like normal just everything gets saved to the sandbox.

I would highly recommend trying it.

It is kind of like these commercial apps ShadowUser and DeepFreeze

However, both of those Sandbox the entire OS so that everything is in a sandbox.

Users can install software, mess things up but upon next reboot everything go back to normal.

Sandboxie is different then the above in that you must run your programs through the sandbox as it does not sandbox everything like the two above.

There is also AntiMalware but I am not sure if it is more like the above two or Sandboxie.

Sandboxie: intercepts changes to both your files and registry settings, making it virtually impossible for any software to reach outside the sandbox.

Do you think this would slow things down? Seems like a good idea. (for security) Is this what MS is going to do with Vista? (Running in some sort of protected enviroment.)

I know that running my mail in/out of the AVG7 scanner folders causes some delay. Maybe the ZoneAlarm firewall does too?

Sandboxie does seem to have some problems that directly relate to me, or my programs, that are mentioned in the forum..

http://sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f...1aacd9f6e825738

Yes, any programs running - a firewall, anti-virus, XP Theme, etc., will slow things down.

But like you said sandboxie it is a great idea for security.

I have no idea if Microsoft will have a sandbox in Vista but highly doubt it.

However, I want to know what problems directly relate to you Press any key or your programs.

What problems did you encounter when using Sandboxie?

I do know that Sandboxie does not work for all programs like those that install a driver

(Virtual CD for example) but it does work for MOST.

!!! ATTENTION WILL ROBINSON !!!

if i had the author of that program by the neck right now...

BE CAREFUL! here's what happened to me...

i have 4 drives, 2 in a RAID 0 and another 2 in a RAID 0, though this may have NOTHING to do with it. i installed the app where i install everything; on the system drive. it launched fine after installation. i played with config options and set the sandbox directory path to 'd:\sandbox' (i created that directory prior). i also set it to not load at win boot and, i think, to not display the tray icon, or something.

then i closed it down and launched it again from the first menu item in the shortcut folder. CRASH! blue screen. went by so fast i didn't make out a word. the PC rebooted fine. hmmm... wonder if it'll do that again? this time i chose the 2nd menu item. same thing happened. that's where i should've quit!... but NOOOO :) the 3rd time i launched, i think, the bottom shortcut. crash again! when win bluescreened, i hit pause and started to copy the info. all i got was unhandled exception in sandbox.sys and then it rebooted. this time when the BIOS for my promise controller loaded, there was an error and my promise array, which happens to contain my system drive, was off-line! i tried to repair it, but have been unsucessful so far. i'm posting this from a parallel install on my via RAID array and hoping i'll be able to recover my primary partition on the promise array.

:realmad::realmad::realmad:

SandboxIE.JPG

atomizer did you temporarily disable any system protection tool that may have prevented the installation of the system-level driver?

Also did your try booting into safe mode and removing sandboxie?

Lastly, what config option did you use to set the sandbox directory path to 'd:\sandbox', do you mean you changed the Sandbox Top-level folder?

I am sorry that you did encounter a problem and don't know if your RAID had anything to do with it but you may want to post your error in the Sandboxie Forum so tzuk becomes aware of it and can fix it.

atomizer did you temporarily disable any system protection tool that may have prevented the installation of the system-level driver?

Lastly, what config option did you use to set the sandbox directory path to 'd:\sandbox', do you mean you changed the Sandbox Top-level folder?

I am sorry that you did encounter a problem and don't know if your RAID had anything to do with it but you may want to post your error in the Sandboxie Forum so tzuk becomes aware of it and can fix it.

whewwwww! i got my array back! i never lost an array before and i thought i wan in for a real headache. thank whatever powers that be that i had a 1 GB swap partition to install a parallel OS so i didn't have to lose any data!

addressing your questions...

i didn't disable anything because i don't think i have anything enabled or installed that could inhibit the sandbox installation. i even have that "prevent data execution" thingy set to "noexecute=AlwaysOff" in 'boot.ini'. i have a firewall, but i doubt that was an issue. besides, it's set to prompt me on unknown connections and the file protection part of it is disabled.

i have an AV scanner, but i use ClamWin and it's very small, unobtrusive and doesn't embed itself into the system like many others do. it's also on-demand only, so it's not scanning anything in the background.

as for booting in safe mode, that's not possible when your system drive RAID array is off-line :)

the problem had to do with one of the disks not being assigned to the array, not both, or so it appeared.

and yes, i changed the Sandbox Top-level folder option to set it to 'D:', my storage array.

and yes again, i will absolutely post my issue in the sandboxie forum. first i better cool down though in order to prevent the 'F' word from surfacing several times :)

just kidding :)

i'm just happy i fixed the array. and i didn't have to install a parallel OS to do it, but i couldn't figure out how to do it in the promise BIOS so i needed internet access to search around. as it turns out, you can just delete the array and create a new one - however this MUST be done carefully or you risk data loss.

PS...

thanks for the forum link and you input :)

Edited by atomizer

update...

after i got my array back yesterday, i booted into my normal windows partition and uninstalled sandboxie. it asked for a reboot, which i didn't bother doing. i just kept running until i shut my PC off later on. upon loading this morning: "NTDLR" is missing! so i had to fix that.

i have an update that pertains to an earlier post of mine, quoted below. this is from the developer of sandboxie...

...something has been brought to my attention. There might be a conflict between Kerio Personal Firewall version 4 and higher, and Sandboxie, the kind of conflicting resulting in the system crash you describe. Do you have KPF 4 installed?
and yes, i do have KPF v4 installed.

whewwwww! i got my array back! i never lost an array before and i thought i wan in for a real headache. thank whatever powers that be that i had a 1 GB swap partition to install a parallel OS so i didn't have to lose any data!

addressing your questions...

i didn't disable anything because i don't think i have anything enabled or installed that could inhibit the sandbox installation. i even have that "prevent data execution" thingy set to "noexecute=AlwaysOff" in 'boot.ini'. i have a firewall, but i doubt that was an issue. besides, it's set to prompt me on unknown connections and the file protection part of it is disabled.

i have an AV scanner, but i use ClamWin and it's very small, unobtrusive and doesn't embed itself into the system like many others do. it's also on-demand only, so it's not scanning anything in the background.

as for booting in safe mode, that's not possible when your system drive RAID array is off-line :)

the problem had to do with one of the disks not being assigned to the array, not both, or so it appeared.

and yes, i changed the Sandbox Top-level folder option to set it to 'D:', my storage array.

and yes again, i will absolutely post my issue in the sandboxie forum. first i better cool down though in order to prevent the 'F' word from surfacing several times :)

just kidding :)

i'm just happy i fixed the array. and i didn't have to install a parallel OS to do it, but i couldn't figure out how to do it in the promise BIOS so i needed internet access to search around. as it turns out, you can just delete the array and create a new one - however this MUST be done carefully or you risk data loss.

PS...

thanks for the forum link and you input :)

Edited by atomizer

• 4 weeks later...

Sandboxie 2.25 Released

Released 2 February 2006. Introducing a new and improved Sandboxie Installer, which allows program updates without a removal first, and is also functional when running in Safe Mode.

Resolved a conflict with Kerio Personal Firewall, version 4, that would cause Sandboxie to crash the entire system.

Fixed a problem where certain updates to the registry could, occasionally, cause a program to hang with 100% CPU utilization.

Forcing programs to run sandboxed will not run them in the weak sandbox mode. (Weak mode is a feature in development.) The fix was available since 12 January 2006 as a separate download.

Programs (particularly IE) no longer crash on Windows 2000 when dragging files to the desktop.

Configuration for Outlook Express allows mailbox files to be accessed in the "AppData" folder as well as "Local AppData".

Fixed error message SBOX1406, SBOX1117.

Get Sandboxie from the Download area.