GeForce 7900 GTX

Jeremy

Man, how many FPS do people really need?

I think at some point, it turns into pi55ing contest so just you could say 'my machine benches faster than your machine.'

Is 266FPS in Far Cry really that much better than 80FPS? Beyond my vision. You have to be on crystal meth to tell the difference!

I have a 7800GT (not even overclocked - best pricepoint card) and I don't plan on upgrading for 2 years at least. I would only go SLI if newer games down the road start dropping frames.

Man, how many FPS do people really need?

I think at some point, it turns into pi55ing contest so just you could say 'my machine benches faster than your machine.'

Is 266FPS in Far Cry really that much better than 80FPS? Beyond my vision. You have to be on crystal meth to tell the difference!

I have a 7800GT (not even overclocked - best pricepoint card) and I don't plan on upgrading for 2 years at least. I would only go SLI if newer games down the road start dropping frames.

It's not necessarily about the frame rate anymore. The focus now is on features such as increasing FSAA and AF abilities. The faster speeds are needed to maintain the frame rate at the same resolution while enabling more graphics features. Do per pixel lighting takes some serious processing power. Edited by nmX.Memnoch

mmX is right on the money. Now the focus is on huge huge increases in quality of the images displayed. More features and better looking games. So gpus will have to be really powerful to handle it all thus the inrease in fps is an added bonus. I want to be able to play at 2560 x 1600 any game with everything maxed out by a single card.

i predict the announcement of the GeForce 8000 GTX soon... :ph34r:

The GF7900 will be out soon, same as the ATi x1900, google for some nice information on those baby’s. Soon there only will be the:

6200 128/256 and even!!! 512MB :wacko: (64 or 128 bits)

6600 128/256MB (DDR3)

6600GT 128/256MB 110n

6800GS 256MB 110n

7800GT 256MB 110n

7800GTX 256MB 110n

7900GT 256/512MB 90n

7900GTX 256/512MB 90n

All other nVidia cards will slowly go to "end-off-sale" even the 7800GTX 512. Specs of the 7900 series are still not clear, just google on it and you will find different specs (leaked)... ;)

** Forget this post, didn´t see the title, I thought we were talking about the 7800GTX 512 :whistle:

Edited by puntoMX

Specs of the x1900 are quite clear. Check out some threads at beyond3d.com if you are interested. It will have 16 pipelines but 48 texture units. ATI has broken down the traditional meaning of graphics pipelines. I think the Nvidia 7900 is going to have 32 pipelines. What is stunning to me is that the ATI cards are performing that well with only 16 pipelines...imagine if ATI went to 32 pipelines as did Nvidia!