Best Encryption Software

S7a5

And a second vote for truecrypt :)

Used it for ages, and the latest version supports the use of keyfiles (which can be any file on your hard drive) in combination with passwords.

If you are just after file or data encryption instead of drive / device, I would always recommend PGP or the GNU version (GnuPG)

SP

Thanks a lot everyone, I'll give them a try!

Edit: I tried TrueCrypt but it seems only to create encrypted volumes (drives). What I'm looking for is an application with a particular function where I choose what files to encrypt with a password and what not, just like when you right-click on a file(s) to archieve them using winrar or winzip.

->I suppose GnuPG is for linux boxes, I need smth that works on winxp.

Edited by S7a5

Thanks a lot everyone, I'll give them a try!

Edit: I tried TrueCrypt but it seems only to create encrypted volumes (drives). What I'm looking for is an application with a particular function where I choose what files to encrypt with a password and what not, just like when you right-click on a file(s) to archieve them using winrar or winzip.

->I suppose GnuPG is for linux boxes, I need smth that works on winxp.

GnuPG is for plenty of OS's, including XP ;)

The basic download is commandline tools, but i also use the ' GPGee' GUI Here which gives you a right-click integration in explorer to excode or sign any files. PGP / GPG is pretty much the defacto standard, and is not too difficult to setup if you have a basic understanding of the public/private key system. I can help you configure it if you want to give it a try.

Edit: PicoCrypt would also do what you want, as DigeratiPrime says, and is probably a bit simpler, but the encryption is less secure. Depends if you want to hide your data from basic attacks, or from the FBI ;P

SP

Edited by seapagan

PicoCrypt works good if you just want to encrypt a one or two files and arent worried about the NSA. ;)

But I would reccomend creating a 'Container' with TrueCrypt and then mounting it as a Volume. That way you could easily drag and drop files into the encrypted container and have access to them all by just using a single password. Also TrueCrypt has several powerful encryption options.

I recommend DriveCrypt, and especially DriveDrypt Plus Pack -wich means full disk encryption in realtime. That is fully invisible to user and does not affect performance. You must type your password before windows starts, and if you want, yo can create second password to bring up "clean" operation system (WinXP if you like) from encrypted partitions free space. When you start that special use OS it overwrites your original OS and sensitive data, so you can use this feature if you are pushed to open your files for investigation or in robber situation. Whole disk is allways crypted, so any data leaks are nearly impossible.

Btw. encryption is over 1300bit (256bit AES and some else algorithm used same time).

I must check TrueCrypt if it can handle enought powerfull algorithms to satisfy my needs of data security. Hope you got some help in this case.

I am sure the NSA has ways of getting around that encryption! :wacko:
Yup, they would just beat you around the head and body until you gave them the password. A lot quicker than trying to decrypt it.

Sure, some of the simple ones can be 'brute' cracked, but for any reasonable encryption algo it would take so long (and so much computer power) to brute that whatever information was found would be useless, and it's owner probably died of old age ;)

Hence the restrictions the US put on the export of 'strong' encryption - it is actually classed with explosives for export use.

The faith (paranoia) people have in the skills of their government and related agencies never fails to amaze me. Discount by 95% most if the things you see in shows like 'Alias' :lol:

SP

Edited by seapagan