HFCLEANUP - Reduce your source

Oleg_II

From the readme....

1) RDV=REMOVE DRIVERS

* File generated with notepad

* List of files with 2 character extension

ex driver.sys should be driver.sy

* Files listed here are deleted from the extracted driver cab and the i386 folder

* Entries are removed from txtsetup.sif, layout.sif, syssetup.inf and sycoc.inf

* HFSLIP automatically generates the driver.inf file

I never managed to get a cab with multiple files in it.

Q. How do I make a CAB file?

A. Open a Command Prompt in the directory that has the files you want to put into a CAB.

Type cabarc N nameofcab.cab *.* (this will put everything into the CAB file!)

There's no plans on removing single files from the driver.cab alone using hfcleanup. This goes a bit out of scope for the hfcleanup portion of the project. IMHO, you should worry more about what is installed, then the size/amount of files on the cd. There's an old saying, if it ain't broke.........

And now, for something completely different.

Well, okay, not really.

I present, better late than never... Drumroll please.

Win2003 News

The Windows Server 2003 reduction fileset.

All I added was my enormous Registry trash compactor and some tweaks. This is NOT a final.

Long story short I can't test it right now, but only at work tomorrow. I can tell you that there is one file missing error, and that the INF file will probably do weird things to Windows 2003 that I haven't figured out yet. It will definately destroy Internet Explorer 6, BTW. I left the IE6 files IN for now because I am still testing things.

I expect to get this squared away in a week or so.

Win2000 News

New file for Windows 2000, too, it's the IE remover. I found a lot of extra stuff that can be removed from Win2k. See here. You can right-click-install if you have already done an FDV install. I encourage those interested to examine the new additions, such as IE Effects, Tahoe, Outlook, Web-DVD-Navigation (yeah, I hadn't heard of that one, either), more DHTML, and more MSPictureIt!. Remember, Windows 2000 loads as much of the Registry into memory as it can, unlike XP and 2003, so every little bit trimmed off helps.

Edited by fdv

Nicely done, FDV.

It is funny to me that your reduction fileset is so mature and bug-free(!) that it is hardly ever talked about anymore. Many people use it but they rarely come here seeking FDV fileset support. This may make it seem like people don't use it but in reality it is just so well-developed and refined that nobody has any issues with it.

Be proud, brother. Be proud.

There's no plans on removing single files from the driver.cab alone using hfcleanup. This goes a bit out of scope for the hfcleanup portion of the project. IMHO, you should worry more about what is installed, then the size/amount of files on the cd. There's an old saying, if it ain't broke.........

Ok. Do you think I can achieve it by inserting a "Pause" line before hfslip starts recompression and remove the files I want (of course, I have to edit driverlist.inf) ?

Or do you think this will result in errors ?

Thanks.

@Camarade_Tux - Trust us, you're going to make yourself crazy with this. You are not going to recover very much space.

@TAiN - Thanks for the kind words, man! I hope to vastly improve my 2003 work (which is broken for the time being, but coming along) so that is eventually on par too. The fileset reflects my burning hatred of Microsoft :D

Edited by fdv

1Meg. :P

I did some tests, just to see what could be saved.

Not much, that's true.

It just dislike having two ntkrnlmp.ex* on my CD which is a bit more than 115MB and I am doing final tweaks to it. I have fast nothing to do on it, it's almost perfect! :lol:

In fact, I may spare up to 5 or even 6Megs.

I'll see how it goes. ;)

• 3 weeks later...