Diskpart problem with removable storage device

cn0saj

I am wondering if anyone has encountered a problem with diskpart and removable storage devices. I can't seem to remove a mount point from usb mass storage device.

Here is the problem in a bit more detail...

When running my winpe script to setup systems I run into a issue when the system contains more than one CD, HDD or someone has left a USB mass storage device attached, or doing a RIS install. We clean the first disk in the system in the prep process so that kills any paritions on the system disk.

Problem is winpe automatically mounts additional storage devices other than its system volume (mounted as x) as c d e etc..

When we partition the target system disk we create two partitions c & d and assign mount points so we can do a windows unattended install to the drive.

For extra CD/DVD drives we found if we put the following commands at the start of the script it would temporarily clear the mount points while in the winpe session so we could do what we want

select volume c

remove

select volume d

remove

Problem is this does not work for usb mass storage devices!!!

If either c or d are a usb mass storage device I get the error "The letter you specified is not assigned to that volume" Doesn't really make sense since I did

select volume C

remove

which drive letter is it talking about - confused????

Is this a bug in diskpart???