What Not To Remove For Some Programs

mraeryceos

With regard to itunes, I have found a further dependency though I'm not sure of its nature - I uninstalled internet explorer using xplite on xp (obviously) and.... itunes won't open - except as 'itunes.exe' in task manager. Then without even rebooting, an xplite reinstall of IE allowed itunes to open fine. (obviously had to end task in task manager in between).

My original install is from an nlite created sp2 cd - perhaps this further complicates things? (also on a dual boot imac - 2.0ghz 1gbram - although same effect on an old dell)

Cheers

Hi folks,

Have been trying to read this post even before starting to make my own slim installation. Mainly because I was looking for a kind of matrix telling me what functions use what DLL's and other unwanted stuff.

I have read loads of usefull comments but miss some importante things I want to take upp here.

1: Test your results in a virtual machine (like VM-ware) most of the things and almost all of the 3dr party software will work in a VM ( you can download a free server copy from VM-ware)

Ofcause you can use a spare PC if you have and want to burn loads of CD's

2. I unfortuanately do not have the knowledge of all the DLL's so i can not help you out here but we really need a a matrix telling us which DLL's are use for which function like media player

with a real matrix we then also can find out easily what a specific DLL is used for.

As a programmer I know that about 25% (low estimate probably) of the core windows DLL's are used in some way or another in calls from our applications. just think of the common control that still is used alot when creating VB applications.

to fit the matrix into this forum will eiter need an excel sheet (but what version) or a link to a seperate page that loads from a database where you then can filter on the stuff you want.

Did not have the time to make a signature but here is a 1st shot

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I work with serveral PC's of wich some are virtual. Most of them are Windows XP, some of them are servers running 2003 and one ore 2 are even 98 (just because of a couple of good old DOS and Serial communication)

I am even planning (YES I dare to say that) a Linux server

So don't ask me what platform I am working on :whistle:

Edited by vinnyviking

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, the old Jdeboeck method of slimming XP SP1 (removing components) did not remove the capability of changing languages via MUI. You could throw away the entire language directory, leaving only ASMS\ and SYSTEM32\ in I386, and MUI installs without errors, fully functional (tried it with Spanish).

I wonder if nLite removes additional language files or reg entries within I386...

Edit: Wait... has anyone tried MUI on a nLite-languages-removed version of XP SP2?

See about MUI here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multilingual_User_Interface

Update: MUI isn't worth it. It is a poor implementation in that not everything gets translated when switching languages. So if you want a different language, just use a different language version of Windows.

Edited by mraeryceos

Thread needs good cleaning with entries not containing relevant information for topic, deleted.

Removed : Shell Media Handler

Result : Now can't view File Versions of things, i didnt think of that when selecting it ( was thinking of mp3 tags etc), had forgot.

But i dont think it says in here.

Tbh, im thinking of writing a new post containing all information that i have and sticking it to a single post, but not right now =)

Edited by TranceEnergy

• 2 weeks later...

Devil May Cry 4 = needs wmplayer codecs. At least Wmvcore.dll, i will perhaps do a new install to check this.

btw: I had removed wmplayer and shell media handler and everything codecs from install, even wmplayer compability with nlite 1.4.8, but wmplayer 11 would still install, and game runs fine.

Wmplayer even plays files. Im sure some parts of it is broken, but nothing that is visibile per usage so far.

edit: Needs windows media format 11 runtime.

Edited by TranceEnergy

More DevilMayCry4 checking:

Did a clean real install of windows, had removed wmp and wmp compability but kept "acm core codecs", so i know it isnt that.

Game wouldnt start so installed wmfdist.exe , "Windows Media Format 11 Runtime" . So game needs codecs basically. It worked without wmp11 player installed.

So it would be nice with a pack that includes all wmp11 codecs, but without any of the services and other crap/bloat that it installs. Google away.

Windows Search 4.0

vmware: deleted imapi service with imapi 2.0 being installed, error showing up in event viewer

The protocol handler Search.Mapi2Handler.1 cannot be loaded. Error description: Class not registered

Searching still seems to work tho. i've only removed partially imapi files (1.0 files, not 2.0)

Edited by TranceEnergy

• 1 month later...

NT Backup does NOT need indexing service on my os, nor does it need WMI running at least.

In fact, NT Backup will quite happily run even if you relocate it, meaning you can have it run almost as if it was a portable program (it isnt tho because of registry writes etc).

So please specify what your O.S. is.. Most apps need WMI nowadays anyway, so i wouldnt bother with that. At some point one has to realize that if you remove that kind of service you are going to lose a ton of compability with software. On the other hand it is possible to slim down what nt backup actually uses. You can remove removable storage f.ex and it will still work. Actually i dont need wmi either for it to run now that i think of it.

Maybe depends on the way you work with.

Only leave it there without a problem, have you tried manual/advanced backup?

If i remove indexing services, it stops when the back up starts.

OS is Win XP Pro SP3 plus hotfixes until sept.

To figure out i remove all at services but keep restoring until it works, on each component, 1 install, think the wasted time...

Edited by Maxfutur