Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

What Not To Remove For Some Programs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

DiO

DiO

• 29 posts
Can someone tell me what not to remove for having suport for running java scripts right after windows is installed?
Thanks.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

zedox

zedox

XPize Darkside Author

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
EXCLAM.GI_ (exclam.gif)

If you remove this file pre-installation The backgroun transfer service, numerous shortcuts and the my "folder name" collection of folders will fail to be created.

Download XPize Darkside 2.1 here!

Posted Image

Kramy

Kramy

• PipPip
  • 153 posts
In the latest nLite version(1.0rc7), Warcraft III: TFT no longer requires the Protected Storage service to be running under Win2k. You can safely disable it, and I presume safely remove it. I am not sure what nLite version this changed in, but apparently something connection related is all better now. :thumbup
IBM Thinkpad 390e (WinXP) - nLited
Athlon XP 2800+ (Win2k) - HFSLIP+nLited
Athlon XP 2000+ (Win2k) - HFSLIP+nLited
Compaq Presario 5008 (WinXP) - HFSLIP+nLited

xpmaniac4ever

xpmaniac4ever

We would change the world if God would give us the sourcecode

• PipPip
  • 136 posts
Can anyone tell me what not to remove in order to make ZoneAlarm 6 work ?
Live and fly. Love and die.

husalov

husalov
  • 5 posts
The entry for Adobe Acrobat Writer is wrong...it definitely does not depend on System Restore but on COM+ which System Restore depends on as well.

atomizer

atomizer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
just a word of caution about disabling the start menu MRU file list:

i just caused a 2 day headache for the developer of FreePCB (circut board design s/w) because i disabled the startmenu MRU list. he changed his his code to make it work with it disabled however (available later tonight or tomorrow). the problem was 'exceptions' when trying to open or save a document. since i also removed dr. watson, it only made things that much more difficult for the poor fella :) i won't be removing either in future builds.

dzjepp

dzjepp

• 11 posts
I just wanted to add, renaming 'Program Files' might cause a slight inconvienience to those that use tools such as system (file) cleaners. For instance, if you use CCleaner - http://www.ccleaner.com/ or any other utility which has a database outlining the 'program' directory, it might not find the custom naming scheme if you do so.

An example, CCleaner uses '%ProgramFiles%' in it's .ini file. So the app wouldn't find your custom location and some features in CCleaner wouldn't work.

sacharja

sacharja
  • 9 posts
Why were the icons of WMP for media files deleted and replaced with this s***ty old versions?

Zardoc

Zardoc

Mad Scientist!!!

• 21 posts
Yo all, :hello:

anyone know what is causing Acrobat reader to show text in weird shapes like Chinese or what??

Someone notice what is removed to cause this??

Thanks,
B)
I think I'm so smart that I'm dumb enough to believe it!!

dzjepp

dzjepp

• 11 posts
Is there anything required for beta versions of office 2007?

cmanser

cmanser
  • 1 posts
I am using nLite to remove crap and I want to use hibernate/standby on my laptop - what option allows standby?

HELP...

Camarade_Tux

Camarade_Tux

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
In "Options" page, don't check "disable standby".
In Components, under compatibility, don't tick "Battery".
There's a tweak (maybe in unattended page) to disabled hibernate, don't check.

Apart from that, there's nothing to avoid.
(I'm running my laptop without any problem)

zedox

zedox

XPize Darkside Author

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

I did not remove input method editor yet office 2003 updates wont work for me. It has been happening since a pretty loong time .

ranging from many versions of nLite and many windows cd. All i can remember is just once was my office able to update itself.

I have asked this question separatly in a thread but no help :(

Someone please come up with a solution!!!

i do not install the complete office suite though , i leave out quite many stuff. it should not matter i guess.

I can update the service pack but not the other!! What should i do?

I'm also having this problem... I read in this topic that the Volume Shadow Copy Service is also needed. just making a cd now with this included... gonna see if it works.

If anyone in the mean time has a list of everything needed by microsoft/office update then that would be great!

Download XPize Darkside 2.1 here!

Posted Image

sld

sld
  • 8 posts
Do not remove npptools.dll (I believe it's part of Network Monitor) if you use WinPcap for any reason (I use it for wc3banlist).

Took me a while before I discovered how to decompress NPPTOOLS.DL_ from my un-nlited xp-sp2-ryanvm-ed XP source.

Camarade_Tux

Camarade_Tux

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
Is npptools.dll the only needed component ?

Last time I tried to use nmap, it failed though I restored npptools.

Anyway, "Network Monitor" seems to be the only component that could cause WinPcap/nmap/Ethereal not to work.
(gonna check this soon)

sld

sld
  • 8 posts
Yeah for me npptools is the only dll needed. I guess WinPcap and wc3banlist provided the rest of what was needed.

joemama1969

joemama1969
  • 5 posts
iTunes 6/7 + Winamp 5 + NTI CD Maker 6.5/7 Dependency: Wmasf.dll + Wmidx.dll

If you remove Windows Media Player 8 (but leave Windows Media Player Classic 6.4) with nLite from Windows XP these programs will not function correctly or will display missing file errors when opening because they require the following files that are removed: Wmasf.dll + Wmidx.dll. If you add these files back into the System 32 folder from an non mLited XP install these programs will function correctly with no errors. :thumbup

Edited by joemama1969, 31 March 2007 - 11:03 PM.

zeus_hunt

zeus_hunt
  • 9 posts
I am getting Microsoft bus drivers could not be initialized/loaded while trying to install Realtech HD Audio 1.41

So i m not able to install Audio on the computer..

anonymous_user

anonymous_user

͏͏͏

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
what files do i need to keep for yahoo music engine/jukebox to work? do i need to keep WMP compatibility?

i dont want to keep or install WMP tho. i already use windows media lite.

Innocent Devil

Innocent Devil

• PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
what are required for USB mouse ??
"The level of security that Vista is trying to achieve to protect video and audio is more extreme than anything the US government has ever considered necessary for protecting its most sensitive classified data."

Read Full Article @ [A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection]

Don't be lame [Linux is NOT Windows]

jmbattle

jmbattle

• PipPip
  • 169 posts
I don't believe it is possible to remove USB support with nLite (yet), so go ahead and strip everything away. This is more or less what I am doing, and still enjoy the functionality of my USB mouse.

Take care,
James
x
Notebook PC: nLite 1.4.1 reduced WinXP with SP2 / RyanVM / FlyakiteOSX / Drivers integrated.

Innocent Devil

Innocent Devil

• PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
but it asks for mousehid.sys,hidclass.sys etc for installing usb mouse
"The level of security that Vista is trying to achieve to protect video and audio is more extreme than anything the US government has ever considered necessary for protecting its most sensitive classified data."

Read Full Article @ [A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection]

Don't be lame [Linux is NOT Windows]

jmbattle

jmbattle

• PipPip
  • 169 posts
'it' being what exactly?

James
x
Notebook PC: nLite 1.4.1 reduced WinXP with SP2 / RyanVM / FlyakiteOSX / Drivers integrated.

mraeryceos

mraeryceos

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Adobe Acrobat Writer
Requires: SNMP, System Restore, Printer support
Error: Unable to create PDF converter and Printer ("modules not found")
- The entry for Adobe Acrobat Writer is wrong...it definitely does not depend on System Restore but on COM+ which System Restore depends on as well.

I disagree... using xp sp1 (jdeboeck customized), where SNMP is not present as a service, with COM+ started, and several normal printers installed and working, installation of Adobe Acrobat 5 did not install the pdf printer drivers. It didn't even give any errors. Jaws PDF Creator gave all kinds of error messages.

update: After right-click install of the system restore service inf file (component as removed by jdeboeck), I was able to install the pdf printer drivers. I guess this would also apply to fax printer drivers.

Edited by mraeryceos, 10 September 2006 - 08:59 AM.

ToasterMax

ToasterMax

• 27 posts
so using nlite it is possible to place an exception list of dlls and other files not to delete? even if we check off to remove a specific functionality?? how and where do we do this? so basically, i could incorporate all of bold fortune's exceptions into nlite and it would not delete them?

Edited by ToasterMax, 14 September 2006 - 01:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN