Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

What Not To Remove For Some Programs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

MGadAllah

MGadAllah

Brain Voice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Joined 03-January 06

Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed that this is a Sticky.

Don't get me wrong, the concept is excellent. But the post itself is quite disorganized, and somewhat incoherent.

Some suggestions:
1) Why not place the list of applications in alphabetical order?
2) You could also make an alternate list with the files (in order) and the programs affected by them. It would be much easier to sift through that way.
3) Why not also include Windows components that shouldn't be removed for certain apps, not just particular files.

I don't know. Just a little more info (maybe a better explanation/intro at the top of the first post) and organization, guys.

Adding BB Code also helps make it more readable. ;)

PS: I'd be glad to help out if you like. (This is a 'real' offer, not a 'sarcastic' one. Really. I'll help.)

humm...this is a good idea,
but why not you do such a thing and post it and sure any moderator or nuhi himself will make it sticky :hello:
Flash and animated signatures and avatars are not permitted.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

anonymous_user

anonymous_user

͏͏͏

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 25-December 05

Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed that this is a Sticky.

Don't get me wrong, the concept is excellent. But the post itself is quite disorganized, and somewhat incoherent.

Some suggestions:
1) Why not place the list of applications in alphabetical order?
2) You could also make an alternate list with the files (in order) and the programs affected by them. It would be much easier to sift through that way.
3) Why not also include Windows components that shouldn't be removed for certain apps, not just particular files.

I don't know. Just a little more info (maybe a better explanation/intro at the top of the first post) and organization, guys.

Adding BB Code also helps make it more readable. ;)

PS: I'd be glad to help out if you like. (This is a 'real' offer, not a 'sarcastic' one. Really. I'll help.)

theres a wiki version of this thread which already has some of teh programs listed (alphabetically and by component) but it does need some updating so feel free to edit it.

Marthax

Marthax

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Joined 28-April 04
I thought I could contribute a little bit to this great thread. I felt like playing Mafia the other day (on of the greatest games btw) and realized that the intro was missing at the beginning and the menu video was all messed up. It was filled various colors and patterns. It didn't look nice at all. Anyway, turns out that Mafia needs the "Intel Indeo codec" to be able to run Bink Player so you might wanna keep that in mind anytime a game intro or menu graphics doesn't behave the way you wants. Besides, it doesn't impact the overall size of your UA Installation anyway so the choice should be obvious, unless gaming is completely out of the question.

Edited by Marthax, 07 January 2007 - 12:30 PM.

"Wisdom outweighs any wealth." - Sophocles

bledd

bledd

msfn is a friend of mine!

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,733 posts
  • Joined 24-March 04
nuhi, any chance of adding this info to your FAQ?

http://www.uawiki.or...u...ore&s=nlite

Camarade_Tux

Camarade_Tux

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  • Joined 22-May 05
:P ...sms : see my sig :P

edit : too late, and... twice. ^^

Edited by Camarade_Tux, 12 January 2007 - 01:50 PM.

Camarade_Tux

Camarade_Tux

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  • Joined 22-May 05
I was wondering what HTTP SSL was so I searched and found the following on microsoft.com

The next auto-start service in the IIS services infrastructure that starts is the World Wide Web Publishing Service (WWW service). It is hosted by Svchost.exe. In addition to the IIS Admin and RPCSS services, the WWW service has dependencies on the HTTP SSL (HTTPFilter) service. The IIS Admin service and RPCSS were started earlier, but before SCM starts the WWW service, it needs to demand-start the HTTPFilter service.

The HTTPFilter service has dependencies on the IIS Admin service and the HTTP service. It is this dependency on HTTP that causes SCM to start the HTTP.sys kernel-mode driver. Consequently, SCM starts the HTTPFilter service, which runs in Lsass.exe (or Inetinfo.exe if you are running in IIS 5.0 isolation mode), and then starts the WWW service.

Are they talking about another HTTP Filter that would come with IIS rather than with XP SP2 ?
Anyway, I think HTTP SLL is for server-side. So if you run an IIS webserver, you'd probably keep this.
Anyone to confirm or infirm this ?

edit : but that say it is dependant on HTTP and this driver(http.sys) is also listed in the registry. I've stopped it here and I can still browse. I'll reboot and check; this seems weird.

Edited by Camarade_Tux, 13 January 2007 - 02:37 AM.

Q-Fireball

Q-Fireball

• 12 posts
  • Joined 15-April 05
Do I have to keep something in mind if I want to run Quicken? Are there any dependences to some XP services?

mad_mattx

mad_mattx

• 48 posts
  • Joined 11-January 04
Hi could you please tell me what I need to keep to let modem dial-up work?

thanks

Matt

bledd

bledd

msfn is a friend of mine!

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,733 posts
  • Joined 24-March 04
modem support, may be more

just read the descriptions!

Edited by bledd, 23 January 2007 - 08:28 AM.

aydc

aydc

• 16 posts
  • Joined 16-January 07
Korean language support is needed for KMPlayer. If you remove it, the program doesn't launch. It doesn't even show an error message. You click the exe and nothing happens.

jmbattle

jmbattle

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 27-May 04
Ah, if this is true, perhaps someone ought to correspond with the KMPlayer developers. I was hoping to try this player on my stripped-down XP installation the other day, however after appearing to install successfully, attempting to launch the software has no effect.

Cheers,
James
x
Notebook PC: nLite 1.4.1 reduced WinXP with SP2 / RyanVM / FlyakiteOSX / Drivers integrated.

madmungo

madmungo

• 20 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
Anyone using Grisoft's AVG plus Firewall need to keep Dial-up and VPN Support otherwise the Firewall fails to start with the following error

The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion. (1075)

mraeryceos

mraeryceos

• PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Joined 11-April 04

Do I have to keep something in mind if I want to run Quicken? Are there any dependences to some XP services?

DCOM, but not if you only have SP1. With SP1, Quicken finds a way to run without it. Amazing.

This is due to Gates Law
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gates'_Law

Edited by mraeryceos, 14 March 2007 - 01:54 PM.

jabu2oz

jabu2oz
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 02-February 07
I can confirm Hamachi requires DHCP Service

Kramy

Kramy

• PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
Realtek HD Audio for onboard 7.1 setups requires hhctrl.ocx, to access it in the control panel. Without access to this panel, there is no way to enable 'Stereo Mix', which lets you record what you hear. Major problem for screen recording software like FRAPS, but easily fixed by copying the file over to your system32 dir, or adding it to keepfiles in nLite.
IBM Thinkpad 390e (WinXP) - nLited
Athlon XP 2800+ (Win2k) - HFSLIP+nLited
Athlon XP 2000+ (Win2k) - HFSLIP+nLited
Compaq Presario 5008 (WinXP) - HFSLIP+nLited

startrekrobs

startrekrobs

• 27 posts
  • Joined 09-February 07
if you remove too munch then linksys wireless-G network not detected under the settings for WM Recorder 10.2, with using the WinPcap 3.1 beta4 drivers

WM Recorder 10.2 -- what xp files it needs for nlite to keep it working and able to detect your network

WinPcap 3.1 beta4 -- what needs to stay for this too stay working

mraeryceos

mraeryceos

• PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Joined 11-April 04
Re: HTTP SSL, post 81.
Camarade Tux, stuff on microsoft site doesn't count. Only your experiences. Did you find out anything more? I think SSL not dependent on Cryptographic Service in SP1, but is in SP2. This is my blurry memory so I wouldn't even include it in my first post. Also notice there is an HTTP SSL service in SP2 (or in later service pack?), but not in SP1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gates'_Law

joemama1969

joemama1969
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 06-March 06

iTunes 6.0.4.2 + Winamp 5.24 + NTI CD Maker 6.5+ Dependency: Wmasf.dll + Wmidx.dll

If you remove Windows Media Player 8 (but leave Windows Media Player Classic 6.4) with nLite from Windows XP these programs will not function correctly or will display missing file errors when opening because they require the following files that are removed: Wmasf.dll + Wmidx.dll. If you add these files back into the System 32 folder from an non Nlited XP install these programs will function correctly with no errors. thumbup.gif

Update: The same applies to iTunes 7, NTI CD Maker 7, and Winamp 5+!

Dr Watson: Program dependent on dbgeng.dll file and won't run without it. Solution: Add dbgeng.dll from a non nLited XP to Windows System 32 folder.

Microsoft Internet Explorer 7: Program dependent on Windows Update Manager and won't install without it.

Microsoft Outlook 97, 2000, XP, 2003: Program dependent on Outlook Express and won't work without it. Microsoft Outlook 2007 isn't dependent on Outlook Express and will work without it. You can Use Thunderbird or other 3rd party software instead as it isn't dependent on Outlook/Outlook Express.

Windows Defender (a.k.a. Microsoft Antispyware): Program dependent on Windows Update and won't install or if you get it to install won't be able to update without it. It was originally designed by GIANT AntiSpyware which was bought out by M$ and was rebranded as Microsoft Antispyware with Beta 1 and Windows Defender with Beta 2, and now is being integrated as a M$ service dependent on M$ update. Possible Solution: Sunbelt Software which was Giant's partner has released CounterSpy based on GIANT Antispyware, which I have tested and it works well. From what I have read it's also a well regarded product!

Windows Media Player 11: Program dependent on Imapi CD Burning to burn CD's. WMP can still rip music CD's, but because it's dependent on the Imapi CD Burning service; it can't burn music CD's. Use iTunes, Winamp or other 3rd party software instead to burn CD's.

Yahoo Music/Radio + Yahoo Jukebox (formerly MusicMatch Jukebox): Are dependent on Windows Media Player 8. Yahoo Jukebox will tell you it can't install because of this problem, but Yahoo Radio will try to work but fail without any specific error. If you install WMP 8 or higher then these apps should work. I installed WMP 11 and then both apps worked fine.

Edited by joemama1969, 31 March 2007 - 11:29 PM.

Innocent Devil

Innocent Devil

• PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Joined 04-February 05
i m facing big memory leaking issue for firefox for nlited s/m
it works normally when net not is connected

when connected it starts memory eating and i cant eve close the app
only way to end that is to restart the s/m

Attached Files

"The level of security that Vista is trying to achieve to protect video and audio is more extreme than anything the US government has ever considered necessary for protecting its most sensitive classified data."

Read Full Article @ [A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection]

Don't be lame [Linux is NOT Windows]

anonymous_user

anonymous_user

͏͏͏

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 25-December 05
UltimateDefrag requires odbcbcp.dll (part of MDAC)

Firetune requires msvbvm60.dll.

The drivers for HP printers require Microsoft Color Management (ICM) to fully install.

Edited by anoymous_person, 23 June 2007 - 11:34 AM.

t2contra

t2contra

• 21 posts
  • Joined 25-May 06
Does anyone know Flashget need any component? It does not seem to work with Firefox even with the flashgot addon.

AgiHammerklau

AgiHammerklau

USER

• PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Joined 11-March 06
As long as you didn´t nlite any vital (red) network components, flashget/-got should work perfectly for you, as they do for me.
FF2.0.0.4
Agi
System: W2KSP4+/ ASUS A7V266-E/ Athlon XP2000+/ 3*Kingston KVR266X64C25/1G/ 2*120GB Samsung SP1213N RAID0/ SP1604N IDE/ MSI GeForce3 Ti 200 pro VT/ D-Link 530TX/ SD616F DVD/ LiteOn 241040/ LiteOnDH20A4P

Also member of : http://www.german-nlite.org

t2contra

t2contra

• 21 posts
  • Joined 25-May 06

As long as you didn´t nlite any vital (red) network components, flashget/-got should work perfectly for you, as they do for me.
FF2.0.0.4
Agi

AgiHammerklau,

Did you do anything to your DCOM?

AgiHammerklau

AgiHammerklau

USER

• PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Joined 11-March 06
No, not really.
Just removed networkdrivers, TAPI, IIS, IP comm.
Agi
System: W2KSP4+/ ASUS A7V266-E/ Athlon XP2000+/ 3*Kingston KVR266X64C25/1G/ 2*120GB Samsung SP1213N RAID0/ SP1604N IDE/ MSI GeForce3 Ti 200 pro VT/ D-Link 530TX/ SD616F DVD/ LiteOn 241040/ LiteOnDH20A4P

Also member of : http://www.german-nlite.org

footballking3420

footballking3420

Horror & Metal purist

• PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 13-June 06
CCleaner requires msvbvm60.dll (from Visual Basic 6 Runtime) in-order to run

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN