Run XP 64 bit on my new rig?

barnld

I have just purchased and recieved the parts for my new rig. I've always been an Intel guy myself, but after the research on this project I decided to go with an AMD 64 X2 4800+ processor. I'm curious what you guys think, should I be running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition or just the 32-bit edition (assuming I want optimal performance for Gaming, working with DVD movies and music).

I would love feedback from you guys!

I personally have grown to prefer the x64 environment, but I run a plethora of VMs and compile a bit of code on this box, and the x64 address space has helped tremedously (I no longer need a server OS to run 8GB of RAM). I find it more responsive and more forgiving for the way I use a PC, but the decision to run an x64 OS is ultimately up to whether or not your drivers are certified to run in x64, and the applications you have will run. You will not be able to run 32bit antivirus or antispyware applications either (or any other application that uses a 32bit filter driver for that matter), so be aware of that as well.

only snag i've found about xp64 is that i can't get my bluetooth to work, it uses the blue solil drivers, or something simular, haven't checkd to see if they've made 64bit drivers, but i know they hadn't 2 months ago

one interesting think i've found, i have a x800gt and need for speed runs smooth in x64, in 32bit its choppy and unplayable...its the only program i've noticed with that runs with a noticable difference between the 2!

overall i seem to prefer xp64, although i'm not sure why, certinaly doesn't seem better running to me, only in that one game i've mentened i've noticed a difference, however i do know someone that uses an intel extereme edition chip, and when burning a dvd in xp64 his whole computer responds very slowly, practically unusable, on the same computer in 32bit it works fine, i've had no troubles like that here tho! i have a intel 2.8D

one thing, i noticed programs like winrar seem to loose there magicical context menu functions, actually i don't know of any program i use that adds to the menu in 32, that works in xp64 (apart from the ati catalyst control centre), and things that add functionallity to explorer doesn't seem to work either, ie 64seems faster, but that could be because most of the plugins don't work with it, i use the ie64 for most sites, then when sites require flash just fire up ie32

Edited by Stead

one thing, i noticed programs like winrar seem to loose there magicical context menu functions, actually i don't know of any program i use that adds to the menu in 32, that works in xp64 (apart from the ati catalyst control centre), and things that add functionallity to explorer doesn't seem to work either, ie 64seems faster, but that could be because most of the plugins don't work with it, i use the ie64 for most sites, then when sites require flash just fire up ie32

try d-loading the newest versions of programs, winrar fixed it right after x64 came out, and most others are catching up

if all of your hardware has X64 drivers there should be no problem getting it up and runnging (a few exceptions such as splinter cell: caose theory use starforce and doesn't work in x64, but i boycot programs that use that anyways so thats no prob for me)

Edited by ender341

It's also wise to note that there are differences in the 64bit implementation between Intel and AMD chips, with the AMD chips currently having the upper-hand currently in their implementation of x64 regarding performance.

Agreed cluberti. http://www.planetx64.com/index.php?option=...&id=5&Itemid=52 might be interesting for those debating on the performance benefits of x64. But as posters have already pointed out not all is well in the 64 bit OS land. There are driver issues and so on. As for responsive I wouldnt know though I would expect that to be the case since it is based on wind 2k3 SP1 codebase and apparently MS went to town with a lot of reworking in the kernel and memory management areas which is great stuff. I think 64 bit OSes will pick up steam once Vista 64 bit is out and then you will start seeing more driver and software support. I want to see a game engine written from scratch for 64 bit machines. Wonder if the performance improvements will be as drastic as demonstrated in that article.