overclocking dell pc?

vcant

have a very newbie question:

i ordered a new DELL a week ago, gonna get it soon(i hope),

i think i read somewhere that OEM computers cannot be overcklocked, is that true?

and if not, how can i overclock dell? (i never overclocked anything before :) )

thanx

If they prevented overclocking it would be into the BIOS. Since they must be using some kind "normal" motherboard, it would simply be a matter of flashing the BIOS with one downloaded from the motherboard manyfactorer's website.

If thats not the case Im sure that there are another way ... cause something that can't be overclocked = :) ... Everything can be overlocked!! CPU, GPU, Buses, Mice, CD-roms, Cable modems (Illigal!), Calculators, Cell phones and I could go on for hours :rolleyes:

Cripsy's right, everything can be overclocked one way or another.

I've got a Dell Optiplex GX150 (P3 1Ghz) which after much tinkering in the BIOS I managed to crank it up to 1.3Ghz before it decided to not want to boot one day, set it back to 1.2 and it's happy. A good idea for clocking a Dell machine is to keep an eye out for BIOS updates as the early releases will often have all the options for CPU speed unlocked, whereas a few days down the road, they'll change the file to lock out the mulitpliers from prying eyes.

On every recent Dell I've seen (quite a few, as my company uses them a lot) there's no jumpers on the motherboard you can change to overclock, so you have to rely on softclocking in the BIOS, but it will work.

Also, if you are going to clock it, I would STRONGLY advice changing th heatsink, and as the stock HSF from Dell is pretty poor when you up the multipliers/bus speed/voltage. You have been officially warned! :)

I don't mean to be a downer but the Dell BIOS has now way to overclock. the MBs are Intel but the bios is written by Dell w/o all the tweaks that retail MBs/bios have.

and really, if you are paying that much for a system that has a warranty...why void it within the first days of ownership?

you do have a point there rik.... :rolleyes:

well i just wanted to see if there is an option, in case im not entirely happy with it, and in case i fill like messing around with something :D

thanx for the help guys :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys, I have a dell dimension 4100, P3 800 MHz, 384 megs of PC133 SDRAM, Geforce 2 34 megs of video memory, soundblaster live sound card. I seriously want to overclock the processor its a pentium 3 coppermine processor, but all the bios settings and software methods that i have found have not worked, i was wondering if you guys have some ideas on a way to overclock it..

Sunil

I don't mean to be a downer but the Dell BIOS has now way to overclock. the MBs are Intel but the bios is written by Dell w/o all the tweaks that retail MBs/bios have.

Sorry...not with that bios and motherboard. :)

Not to go off topic but I still don't understand why people buy dells, compaq, ect ect.

I mean I built 2 pc's last month for friends of friends who knew me and I beat dell PC's with performance items and price by 250 bucks. And they are FULLY upgradedable for years to come and overclockable.

It's very easy to build a PC.

Anyways some MB can be overclocked that are sold from Dell by changing jumpers/connectors/pins on the motherboard itself. Just find out what MB you have when it gets there and well hack that baby up. ( if possible ) :):rolleyes:

Yeah, in the past I've had 2 PCs custom built by small companies (not big ones like Dell, or Gateway who make a bad job of it and bundle crap system restore CDs). But next month I'll be building a PC of my own and I'm kinda nervous (always am when dealing with expensive hardware!) :) But then, the experience will be good!

... I beat dell PC's with performance items and price by 250 bucks.

on the hardware only?

thats where i find it hard to beat an oem. i can beat them on price for the hardware, but then you throw in the os, and all that other little piddling software that mom and pop want... thats where you cant touch them.

well, i have a couple of dells computers, and im really hapy with them.

i like the technical support they providing, and these are computers that i can really trust.

althought i do like to open a computer if something wrong with it, and try to fix it by myself, i find it really unificient to my work, cause thats the last thing i should be doing....

besides i never had any problems with my dell computer, so even their great tech support never been needed.

well, if not to mention my dead HD on the dell laptop, but that probably has something to do with the laptop falling from my shoulder and rolling down the stairs last year (about 40 stairs :) ),

i thought that no harm has been done to it, but obviosly i was wrong :D

btw, i didnt get the new dell desktop in the end..... :rolleyes: