wireless networking

Stead

hrmm, somethin i feel is worth mentioning, one thing i noticed which is amazingly superior in xp64 is wireless networking, now this may sound odd, but once i finally found a wireless card that works in xp, i can't help but notice xp64 the wireless is far more stable, i usually get a siginal strength of 92% according to the little wireless utility, in xp32 i generally never get above 44%, also xp32 the connection will go upto 24Mbps, but as soon as you start using it drops to either 1,2 or 5.5 and the speed seems to drop.

in xp64 it generally always stays very fast and high strength, i'm guessing its more of a driver issue, but its the same card, but i've noticed i can move my router further away and xp32 won't pick it up at all, but xp64 will and stay a good connection?

anyone else noticed this? :blink:

• 1 month later...

This link should work:

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/produc...81&categoryid=7

I currently have a Linksys USB wireless 54GS adaptor. Would the ralink drivers work for it?

No, that device is powered by a Broadcom chipset. You'd need to determine which Broadcom chipset is in that device and use the proper Broadcom driver.

Thanks... Is that the best? I think I need one that has a cable and an antenna just so I can get better reception. It's at an apartment building so something with more power is always nice. I'll try it though, not very expensive.

I'm not sure about whether or not it's the best, but it's nice and works well at least for me. You might want to visit planetamd64.com and see what others are using for wireless in x64, as there's lots of good information there on what works and doesn't (and not just wireless). You may find something better for your uses by searching that site for a bit.

its an ASUS WL-138G, i have the drivers on my isp's webspace as i didn't want to loose them, as i can't seem to find them anyware if anyone wants the link i'll post it up, p.s. i bought this pci wireless card to replace my netgear usb one, the only reason i bought it as i found that its suppose to work, was quite shocked and happy when it did work!

• 6 months later...
hi all im using an Atheros AR5005G mini pci card in my laptop and the laptop x64 drivers are vastly superior to the windows x32 versions my signal is a constant strong 54mb signal anywhere in the house.

its wierd but the drivers must be better.

ya that can happen when the driver developers actually work on the x64 drivers, sometimes you'll find that some companies dont give a s*** when it comes to x64 drivers.